Age problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

fat lot of good THAT did.. sighs..... not in there anyway. I am sure it was in a brown envelope but it must have been at least A4 in size as the actual scans are A3 and massive... I found the ones for William Shelton [my other Gt grandads brother] I distinctly remember finding them IN the cabinet the last time I was in there. I get so cross with myself too...
    I know how you feel, I spent ages looking for something at weekend, gave up and then it was there right under my nose!
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

• Just an update. Checked out the hotspot for the Irish community in Marylebone. Poor enumerator. He noted in the census form a message to Registrar that he should be aware of the difficulties of one person assigned to the area as the forms had not been completed - were they ever? - and that not only did he not have a table to use, there wasn't even a chair. It took him 2 weeks to complete and even then he missed those at the back. And I didn't find one Larkin in the area.

Still looking at the NA. Lots of possibilities for William but you would need to take your bed to wade through them if you visit. Not come across any 1860 attestations for the 59th.

Vera

Comment

• Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
        Just an update. Checked out the hotspot for the Irish community in Marylebone. Poor enumerator. He noted in the census form a message to Registrar that he should be aware of the difficulties of one person assigned to the area as the forms had not been completed - were they ever? - and that not only did he not have a table to use, there wasn't even a chair. It took him 2 weeks to complete and even then he missed those at the back. And I didn't find one Larkin in the area.

Still looking at the NA. Lots of possibilities for William but you would need to take your bed to wade through them if you visit. Not come across any 1860 attestations for the 59th.

Vera
        Wow! that must have been horrible for the enumerator.

I had been contacted by a lady whose grandmother was Alice Adele TRANSFIELD. [remember them?] my reply went as follows:

Flora Druscilla Brown was the daughter of William Atwood Brown and Jane Larkin/s. Jane Larkin/s married Thomas E Transfield. I have both Larkin/s and Browns in my tree and was attempting to see where/how they connected. I haven't found a connection as of yet. I do have the birth PDF of Flora should you wish a copy of it.

she had never been able to find any details of Jane Larkins/Transfield

I found the death details for Jane Transfield Brown

Name: Jane Transfield Brown
        Estimated Birth Year: abt 1833
        Registration Year: 1871
        Registration Quarter: Jan-Feb-Mar
        Age at Death: 38
        Registration District: Kensington
        Inferred County: London
        Volume: 1a
        Page: 104

She ordered the cert and it is her relation!.. she was over the moon with it and couldn't thank me enough... to me it's just what you do, find info and pass it on.

this new information has opened up a whole new avenue for her to research, so whilst we might not be related we have all helped someone else on their family quest.

Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

• that's great - I feel there is always some pass it forward in family tree, help can't always be repaid.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

• Good news. Lovely for her to have the opportunity for further research.

Vera

Comment

• Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
              that's great - I feel there is always some pass it forward in family tree, help can't always be repaid.
              Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
              Good news. Lovely for her to have the opportunity for further research.

Vera
              Yep I got a warm fuzzy feeling.. so lovely to be able to help.

Though I am finding contacting Kates extended family just don't want to know.... Perhaps it's me?
              Julie

Comment

• I've been sitting playing about with Irish naming patterns.... and I'm still not sure I'm anymore further on!

It didn't hit me until I sat looking at the names of their 10 children.. [they had 13 but I have only the names for 10] I suspect I'll need to find the missing ones before it might make more sense?
                Julie

Comment

• Well, I think that I have found two of the three missing children, but the third is being a little problematic. I 'think' it was a girl and I have no idea really which one it could be..... there are quite a few Skelton girls with MMN of Brown. FMP search wasn't any help as that didn't even show half of them...

I have found two burials for the boys.... but I can't tie the address down to the family as it was in between census... hmmm
                  Julie

Comment

Well, I think that I have found two of the three missing children, but the third is being a little problematic. I 'think' it was a girl and I have no idea really which one it could be..... there are quite a few Skelton girls with MMN of Brown. FMP search wasn't any help as that didn't even show half of them...

I have found two burials for the boys.... but I can't tie the address down to the family as it was in between census... hmmm
                    I have had a bit of luck confirming some children that had been born/died to Kate Skelton.. Just one left now to find.

I was pointed in the direction of some school records, which it mentions the address where Robert and Richard and William James Skelton lived and it matches with the place of death for Edward and Harry.

Just one missing child now. This is what I have:

Richard - 1887
                    William James - 1889
                    Robert - 1892
                    Harry - 1894
                    Mabel - 1896
                    Edward - 1896
                    Annie - 1897
                    Kate - 1899
                    George Arthur - 1902
                    Theresa - 1904
                    Harry - 1907
                    Ernest - 1911

and then the missing child.
                    Julie

Comment

• ahh and now GRO's showing a 500 error!!!
                      Julie

Comment

ahh and now GRO's showing a 500 error!!!
                        back up now, but I have been backwards and forwards from 1887-1911 and I can't spot any other possible births/deaths that could be the missing child. Bit stumped now.
                        Julie

Comment

I have had a bit of luck confirming some children that had been born/died to Kate Skelton.. Just one left now to find.

I was pointed in the direction of some school records, which it mentions the address where Robert and Richard and William James Skelton lived and it matches with the place of death for Edward and Harry.

Just one missing child now. This is what I have:

Richard - 1887
                          William James - 1889
                          Robert - 1892
                          Harry - 1894
                          Mabel - 1896
                          Edward - 1896
                          Annie - 1897
                          Kate - 1899
                          George Arthur - 1902
                          Theresa - 1904
                          Harry - 1907
                          Ernest - 1911

and then the missing child.
                          trying to decide where the gap would be for a missing child.
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

• did find edith - but then edited as saw Harry in same qtr, so not right !
                            SKELTON, HARRY BROWN
                            GRO Reference: 1907 J Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 09C Page 696
                            SKELTON, EDITH BROWN
                            GRO Reference: 1907 J Quarter in EAST RETFORD Volume 07B Page 18
                            Last edited by cbcarolyn; 25-11-21, 18:18.
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

• I think that this is such a long thread, that maybe you need to recap where you are stuck, I don't recall all the details now. can see there were rabbit holes I went down, but managed to get back on track
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

did find edith - but then edited as saw Harry in same qtr, so not right !
                                SKELTON, HARRY BROWN
                                GRO Reference: 1907 J Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 09C Page 696
                                SKELTON, EDITH BROWN
                                GRO Reference: 1907 J Quarter in EAST RETFORD Volume 07B Page 18
                                yep been there did that...

births would have been Nottingham, Chesterfield, or Sheffield, the only other thing I can come up with is a stillbirth [which would be on a separate register?] but thought that came in in the 1920s, either that or she miscarried later in her pregnancy.
                                Julie

Comment

I think that this is such a long thread, that maybe you need to recap where you are stuck, I don't recall all the details now. can see there were rabbit holes I went down, but managed to get back on track
                                  I was just thinking out loud really... I had the idea that Kate 'may' have used irish naming traditions for her children, but then wasn't sure quite what to make of it.
                                  Julie

Comment

• I find it interesting that she had 2 children only with a middle name.
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

• Have looked at gaps for births Chesterfield, Nottingham, Sheffield

1889-1892 Chesterfield, Nottingham
                                      1899-1902 Sheffield
                                      1904-19O7 Sheffield
                                      19O7-1911 Sheffield

Not seeing a Skelton/Brown

There is an Annie Maria Brown 1886 M q Nottingham no mmn. Adopted by Clarke family

Will check deaths

Vera

Comment

• On GRO.
                                        Death
                                        Elizabeth Skelton 1909 Dec Q Sheffield aged 0
                                        9c 256
                                        Can't see bc

On Ancestry
                                        Elizabeth Skelton
                                        Born abt 1909
                                        Died 1909 Dec Q aged 0
                                        Sheffield
                                        9c 256

Vera

Comment

I find it interesting that she had 2 children only with a middle name.
                                          mm I thought that perhaps William would be father and James grandfather? but I could be totally wrong!

Have looked at gaps for births Chesterfield, Nottingham, Sheffield

1889-1892 Chesterfield, Nottingham
                                          1899-1902 Sheffield
                                          1904-19O7 Sheffield
                                          19O7-1911 Sheffield

Not seeing a Skelton/Brown

There is an Annie Maria Brown 1886 M q Nottingham no mmn. Adopted by Clarke family

Will check deaths

Vera
                                          from looking at the gaps I figured any b/d would be between Harry#2 and Ernest so 1907-1911.

On GRO.
                                          Death
                                          Elizabeth Skelton 1909 Dec Q Sheffield aged 0
                                          9c 256
                                          Can't see bc

On Ancestry
                                          Elizabeth Skelton
                                          Born abt 1909
                                          Died 1909 Dec Q aged 0
                                          Sheffield
                                          9c 256

Vera
                                          aha...thank you, will have a look.

I might be able to see where she is buried... though for some reason I cannot see her on GRO to get her MMN.

Julie

Comment

Working...
                                          X