Age problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by vera2013 View Post

I'm trying to work out what this means. It says 'quarters'. So presumably whole of the 3rd Batt there with other Batts in London (thinking aloud) but not on Williams Army Record.

Just done a Google. There is an item re a photographic print of the Fifes and Drums of the Grenadier Guards 3rd batt at Beggarbush Barracks, Dublin 1868. Can't get the picture up on my screen. So maybe not all the 3rd Batt in Dublin. Will post link.

Have found some more N.A. Army records refs which may include ref to William + one pension record which can be seen on FMP. Will post links

Vera
    for some reason that link is just going to a blank page.. [The fifes and drum link that is]
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

• I think this is the image:
      https://imgc.artprintimages.com/img/...kground=fbfbfb
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I'm trying to work out what this means. It says 'quarters'. So presumably whole of the 3rd Batt there with other Batts in London (thinking aloud) but not on Williams Army Record.

Have found some more N.A. Army records refs which may include ref to William + one pension record which can be seen on FMP. Will post links

Vera
        I have no idea what it means either, I was thinking that you would all go, as there were others moving in. But maybe they were huge and always some dorms left?

Just thought it was worth a post as I found it

on the image I posted on 373 I actually can't read what it says he did in 67 with regard to promotions/reductions. He was promoted in 69 - is this something they bumped him up to be ready for retirement maybe?

The FMP record (not pension- I have not found that) is on here:
        https://photos.app.goo.gl/WaDJjHbD2GJ6uJBz6

It was a while back
        Last edited by cbcarolyn; 29-08-20, 17:04.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

• I have been searching for the FMP record (not that it was very informative) and cant find it searching direct on FMP. I was hoping Carolyn would be able to magic it up somehow so you could see it. It was a link from NA. Cant imagine where FMP have put it,

Maybe, just maybe the NA records will hold some info about William's wife and children especially Katie.

Nice picture Carolyn. Apparently they hold music sessions in the Guards Chapel at lunchtimes. I would like to listen to that. Its so sad that William died so young. I gather he had heart failure. His description when discharged is of such a 'fit' fellow. Not many 6 footers around way back in the day. I digress, again

Vera

Comment

• Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
            I have no idea what it means either, I was thinking that you would all go, as there were others moving in. But maybe they were huge and always some dorms left?

Just thought it was worth a post as I found it

on the image I posted on 373 I actually can't read what it says he did in 67 with regard to promotions/reductions. He was promoted in 69 - is this something they bumped him up to be ready for retirement maybe?

The FMP record (not pension- I have not found that) is on here:
            https://photos.app.goo.gl/WaDJjHbD2GJ6uJBz6

It was a while back
            I cannot work our what happened during the 1867 - 69. Was it some living out allowance if in fact he did. He got a ? increase in good conduct payment from 1868. Then promotion to Corporal before discharge. I think it refers to his pay prior to 2 Dec 1867when he also received good conduct pay

Vera

Comment

I cannot work our what happened during the 1867 - 69. Was it some living out allowance if in fact he did. He got a ? increase in good conduct payment from 1868. Then promotion to Corporal before discharge. I think it refers to his pay prior to 2 Dec 1867when he also received good conduct pay

Vera
              If I remember rightly he was a Chelsea out pensioner...

Transferred private 1 feb 64 - 2 dec 67

Residing London for 13? yrs

352 days 2 dec 1867 Private 3 dec 1867 - 13 April 1869

GC Pay @ 2d 20 Nov 1868

Promoted corporal 14 April 1869 - 21 dec 1870
              Last edited by Darksecretz; 29-08-20, 18:30.
              Julie

Comment

I have no idea if this will help - but in one of those books it has this:
                image_20466.jpg

do you know what [O.W.] means ?
                Julie

Comment

yep I found another place that had the same image.. the original that Vera tried to link to and not showing the pic is at their end not ours. I shant be forking out for £400 for a print though!..

I have no idea about military things and would the fife & drum section be a part of the regular battalion then?
                  Julie

Comment

• I can't find anything else on FMP - I have put the other document on the link - I think that was the one on Fold3, I remember looking at it when it was free, but didn't save it.

The first doc seems to be most informative, although it must be different to the one Julie has, as doesn't say he is unfit for work for a long time, just at time of discharge.
                    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 29-08-20, 18:31.
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

• There was something else as well, though no idea exactly where to look for it, I seem to recall on his attestation papers he served in the Militia before signing up. though I can't find the bit now, I'll need to have a look on my computer.
                      Julie

Comment

I can't find anything else on FMP - I have put the other document on the link - I think that was the one on Fold3, I remember looking at it when it was free, but didn't save it.

The first doc seems to be most informative, although it must be different to the one Julie has, as doesn't say he is unfit for work for a long time, just at time of discharge.
                        that info I put was from the doc you placed on #373 and the comments about him only being able to do very light work was on his paper that you have on your google drive thing.

GBM_WO97_1859_113_003 (1).jpg

I'll have a look to see if I can find the other bit on my computer.
                        Julie

Comment

• Wm_Brown_Service_Records_13_PEX.JPG

I can't find the other paper.. am still looking
                          Julie

Comment

• it only says he is poorly at that time, I assume previously he was OK? so could have been fit to travel. Clearly I am only guessing, and that he would have retired sooner? I have no experience in military - we need an expert - they always find one on the BBC...you normally walk down a street and there is one
                            Last edited by cbcarolyn; 29-08-20, 21:59.
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

• https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ls/r/C17233055

One for if you are able to go

Vera

Comment

• Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

yep I found another place that had the same image.. the original that Vera tried to link to and not showing the pic is at their end not ours. I shant be forking out for £400 for a print though!..

I have no idea about military things and would the fife & drum section be a part of the regular battalion then?
                                ooh didn't spot the price!

My friends husband used to be in the band with Coldstream, will have to ask him a set of questions!

Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

• I found this page on NA - mind blown tbh - but is in a logical order of the records available, site seems allover the place in places

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...viving-records

the record on with the several pages on fmp is WO97 and the other that is the register is a WO23 (I think, looked at so many I can't find it again)

Following guidance I did download the PDF on here:
                                  http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...se/r/r/C613576

He is there on page 10, but it tells you no more than the info you have - you may want to download yourself. WO116 - can tick off the docs you have found then
                                  Last edited by cbcarolyn; 29-08-20, 23:10.
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

• these are the WO records that are on FMP, some of them the search doesn't work, but have to say I have glanced at the general layout of the records and none give much info even if found. i have searched through a quite a few

fmp records.JPG .
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

ooooh thank you that could be very handy indeed, I need to wait and see if/when they start doing the copies and how much it'd be.
                                      Julie

Comment

I found this page on NA - mind blown tbh - but is in a logical order of the records available, site seems allover the place in places

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...viving-records

the record on with the several pages on fmp is WO97 and the other that is the register is a WO23 (I think, looked at so many I can't find it again)

Following guidance I did download the PDF on here:
                                        http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...se/r/r/C613576

He is there on page 10, but it tells you no more than the info you have - you may want to download yourself. WO116 - can tick off the docs you have found then
                                        The PDF link doesn't work for me, sorry. I have also been looking at how much it'd be for copies etc.. and they want an arm and a leg!
                                        Julie

Comment

• vera2013 have ever visited the NA?

Darksecretz it is such a shame that more are not available on line especially as it is free atm. Have you made any progress with the mini trees of Larkins?
                                          Carolyn
                                          Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                          X