No announcement yet.

Age problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the larkins in Westminster - just for completeness - well except Nancy not on these.
    https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...58&usePUB=true

and just for completeness there are another mob nearby!
    https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...44&usePUB=true

Mothers both Ellen and both widows - 10 years apart
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

• Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
      the larkins in Westminster - just for completeness - well except Nancy not on these.

and just for completeness there are another mob nearby!

Mothers both Ellen and both widows - 10 years apart
      oh my gads!.. thank you Carolyn. I'm trying to keep up with you and adding this in.. and getting in a muddle
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

• The first 2 were from your link Nancy Larkins with John and Ellen, then found the next lot looking for Nancy. These are as Vera says in a different part of Kensington

The areas are marked on this map on Ancestry
        https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...4975&pId=40477

These are St Margarets (in pink)

The others are in the red area St James
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

The first 2 were from your link Nancy Larkins with John and Ellen, then found the next lot looking for Nancy. These are as Vera says in a different part of Kensington

The areas are marked on this map on Ancestry
          https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...4975&pId=40477

These are St Margarets (in pink)

The others are in the red area St James
          All the census are for Westminster not Kensington although that doesn't mean they are not potential for Ann b 1842 The addresses are in the St James area fairly close to the Wellington Barracks.

Vera

Comment

• Now looking at Marylebone from whence the Irish community were said to have moved before arriving in North Ken. They lived in Cartmel EDIT Calmel Buildings around Orchard Street, Marylebone if I can find it.

Vera

Comment

• Sorry. getting in a muddle...was watching TV at same time....
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Comment

• Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                Now looking at Marylebone from whence the Irish community were said to have moved before arriving in North Ken. They lived in Cartmel EDIT Calmel Buildings around Orchard Street, Marylebone if I can find it.

Vera
                And me. Store things in my head, as above, instead of writing down

Vera

Comment

• I have quite a few little family groups now... it's just trying to keep track of what I have where!..
                  Julie

Comment

All the census are for Westminster not Kensington although that doesn't mean they are not potential for Ann b 1842 The addresses are in the St James area fairly close to the Wellington Barracks.

Vera
                    I meant to ask you Vera do you know where Windsor Barracks were? [I guess the obvs answer is Windsor] but would he be able to marry @ Royal Chapel if he were base at windsor barracks? [3rd Batt Gren Guards 1869.] were there WB in Kensington?
                    Last edited by Darksecretz; 28-08-20, 13:32.
                    Julie

Comment

• I remember reading about the guards for ScottyHutch when he was looking for the weavers, just searched it was the Coldstream!

But I posted a link to lots of books that have the 'diary' of them. Found a book on the Grenadiers here:

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?...ew=1up&seq=375

not read yet
                      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 28-08-20, 16:24.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

• Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

I meant to ask you Vera do you know where Windsor Barracks were? [I guess the obvs answer is Windsor] but would he be able to marry @ Royal Chapel if he were based at windsor barracks? [3rd Batt Gren Guards 1869.] were there WB in Kensington?
                        The Grenadier Guards barracks would have been the Victoria Barracks, quarter of a mile South of Windsor Castle.

Can't say for sure but would say that as a member of the Household Division, William and Ann would have been eligible to marry in the Guards Chapel, Westminster.

Vera
                        Last edited by Darksecretz; 28-08-20, 13:32.

Comment

• oooh thankyou. my head is buzzing at the mo too..lots to digest
                          Julie

Comment

• Thought it might be useful to have a look through this - but really not much there!

william army.JPG
                            Last edited by cbcarolyn; 28-08-20, 16:23.
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

• I have no idea if this will help - but in one of those books it has this:
                              image_20466.jpg
                              ​​​​​​​

Last edited by cbcarolyn; 28-08-20, 18:44.
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

• made mention of Ireland here

battalion1869.JPG
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

• Thanks Carolyn, I have the copy of his army records.

But I can't see anywhere where it says he even went to Ireland in them. I do have paper copies of his records that a gentleman found for me [as the GG refused point blank to offer any sort of help in locating his records!]
                                  I really don't know if what when and why, but I do know he was retired due to being medically unfit the doctor stated that he would 'only be able to do very light work'..and he was even was doubtful if he'd be able to do that. So whether he'd be able to even go to somewhere like Ireland with the regiment I just don't see it somehow.
                                  Julie

Comment

• I kind of feel in those days you would have to go, but have no evidence of this. Just that life was tough, even in the army.

Do you think there are records that you have not got, when did you contact them last, wonder if they might have changed?
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

I kind of feel in those days you would have to go, but have no evidence of this. Just that life was tough, even in the army.

Do you think there are records that you have not got, when did you contact them last, wonder if they might have changed?
                                      I have tried over the years a few times and to be fair they were nothing short of 'snotty' in their replies!

The only thing that I can see 'might' glean some info is the pension records that I can't bloody well get at the moment cos they have suspended due to covid!
                                      Julie

Comment

I have no idea if this will help - but in one of those books it has this:
                                        image_20466.jpg

I'm trying to work out what this means. It says 'quarters'. So presumably whole of the 3rd Batt there with other Batts in London (thinking aloud) but not on Williams Army Record.

Just done a Google. There is an item re a photographic print of the Fifes and Drums of the Grenadier Guards 3rd batt at Beggarbush Barracks, Dublin 1868. Can't get the picture up on my screen. So maybe not all the 3rd Batt in Dublin. Will post link.

Have found some more N.A. Army records refs which may include ref to William + one pension record which can be seen on FMP. Will post links

Vera

Comment

I'm trying to work out what this means. It says 'quarters'. So presumably whole of the 3rd Batt there with other Batts in London (thinking aloud) but not on Williams Army Record.

Just done a Google. There is an item re a photographic print of the Fifes and Drums of the Grenadier Guards 3rd batt at Beggarbush Barracks, Dublin 1868. Can't get the picture up on my screen. So maybe not all the 3rd Batt in Dublin. Will post link.

Have found some more N.A. Army records refs which may include ref to William + one pension record which can be seen on FMP. Will post links

Vera
                                          Anything you post with FMP links Vera I can't see as I don't subscribe to it.
                                          Julie

Comment

Working...
                                          X