No announcement yet.

Age problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You just never know what you will find worth a look.

I was hoping that I would find something by going back a generation, but nothing obvious yet.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

• Didn't see you there Carolyn.

I think plotting the families could go on forever. I doubt Ann had family in London as I would expect them to act as sponsors/witnesses. Unfortunately if she came over alone after the 1861 not likely to be any record until m 1865. Or was she here and perhaps institutionalised somewhere. Not likely as how would she meet William.

​​​​​ Checked out the witnesses at 1865 wedding. But a dead end. The Buckoke one could have been nee Cox A Cox also married at the same time as Ann and William in ?1870. But no link I can see. Interestingly the Cox/Potts couple in ? 1870 also m twice. At the Parish Church Marylebone 1868 and later the Guards Chapel.

Have looked at random Ann, James, Matthew Larkin. Could go on forever. There was a bap for an Ann b ilkegitimate!y to a Sophia but could never see Sophia again. Will resurrect that one.

Jane Larkin/Brown if living in the Gregory Place W11 in 1868 lived 1 mile away from Ann Larkin in Pickering Place W2 but that was 1865. Although Jane was in the area in 1865 at the workhouse. However I do wonder if Ann was the link to Jane meeting William Brown Cheesemonger.

Julie what were the names of the Witnesses for the Guards Chapel marriage or did you check them out already?

Vera

Comment

• Originally posted by vera2013 View Post

Julie what were the names of the Witnesses for the Guards Chapel marriage or did you check them out already?

Vera
        hang on I'll check, James Bennetts and William Burch.. no idea I think if I remember rightly these were checked out too but nothing of any significance arose. The witness whois George Brown on his first marriage could be his cousin George [as I seem to recall he was in the guards too]

I was sort of hoping that this Bridget Larkin was a connection.. but I've not got very far with her [though I think that I may have her death in 1886]
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

• Thanks

It is possible Honorah morphed into Ann?

Not seeing family in 1861

Only this but children don't match Larking

Bridget 38 Widow Laundress b Ireland
          Thomas 16
          Bridget 14 Servant
          John 12
          Henry 19

and possibly Bridgets mother but she is Mary Shelly

Living R..cliffe Buildings, Westminster St Margaret

Vera

Comment

Thanks

It is possible Honorah morphed into Ann?

Not seeing family in 1861

Only this but children don't match Larking

Bridget 38 Widow Laundress b Ireland
            Thomas 16
            Bridget 14 Servant
            John 12
            Henry 19

and possibly Bridgets mother but she is Mary Shelly

Living R..cliffe Buildings, Westminster St Margaret

Vera
            looking at the image I have I thought it said HANNAH.. which could be Anna? I haven't got that far yet Vera
            Julie

Comment

Didn't see you there Carolyn.

I think plotting the families could go on forever. I doubt Ann had family in London as I would expect them to act as sponsors/witnesses. Unfortunately if she came over alone after the 1861 not likely to be any record until m 1865. Or was she here and perhaps institutionalised somewhere. Not likely as how would she meet William.

​​​​​ Checked out the witnesses at 1865 wedding. But a dead end. The Buckoke one could have been nee Cox A Cox also married at the same time as Ann and William in ?1870. But no link I can see. Interestingly the Cox/Potts couple in ? 1870 also m twice. At the Parish Church Marylebone 1868 and later the Guards Chapel.

Have looked at random Ann, James, Matthew Larkin. Could go on forever. There was a bap for an Ann b ilkegitimate!y to a Sophia but could never see Sophia again. Will resurrect that one.

Jane Larkin/Brown if living in the Gregory Place W11 in 1868 lived 1 mile away from Ann Larkin in Pickering Place W2 but that was 1865. Although Jane was in the area in 1865 at the workhouse. However I do wonder if Ann was the link to Jane meeting William Brown Cheesemonger.

Vera
              another Sophia, they seem popular!

it does seem a coincidence that they are close.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

• I have checked back. Think this is a different Sophia.

Workhouse Creed Register Southwark, Camberwell page 6

Record of Births

18 Jan 1839 Parent Sophia Larkin, Camberwell, Illegitimate, baptised 13 Feb 1839 Ann

Baptism Camberwell St Giles
                13 Feb 1839 b 18 Jan 1839 Ann Larkin
                Dau of Sophia Larkin, Servant, Workhouse

Baptism
                Sophia Larkin April 1815 Camberwell
                F John, Labourer, mother Sophia

Can't see John and Sophia in 1841. There is A Sophia Larkin Servant in 1841. A Sophia b 1787 on her own with dau Alice and Hannah in 1851. And no Ann!

There is a death for John Larkin 1835 and Sophia b 1787 in 1851

Couldn't make any family connection with witnesses to Guards Chapel wedding. Lots of military with those names

Vera

Comment

• I am sure there must be posts in here, but can you remind me of any addresses that you have for William Brown & Ann Larkins in London.

I only have the 1871 census noted 38 Pickering Place

thought I would have a search in the papers by address.

Not found anything for that address apart from an arrest which is not them in 1870
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

• Looks like baby Ann died

Ann Larkin buried 29 May 1839 aged 5 months St Giles, Camberwell. Abode Edmund Street

Vera

Comment

• Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                      I am sure there must be posts in here, but can you remind me of any addresses that you have for William Brown & Ann Larkins in London.

I only have the 1871 census noted 38 Pickering Place

thought I would have a search in the papers by address.

Not found anything for that address apart from an arrest which is not them in 1870
                      hang on let me look...

Adalines birth address: 26 Camden Place, Notting Hill.

Second marriage address is just Windsor Barracks [wm] and Kensington for Ann.

William Henrys birth address is Victoria model dwellings, Francis Street, Westminster.

that's all I have.
                      Julie

Comment

Looks like baby Ann died

Ann Larkin buried 29 May 1839 aged 5 months St Giles, Camberwell. Abode Edmund Street

Vera
                        well, at least that discounts her.

there was another one that I did look at and that was an Ann Larkin that died in a pub but a lady came to her help in looking after her baby that was also named Ann... that made me wonder if it was her or not. There are two pages in the book I have put in order:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...949&pId=420986

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...949&pId=421052

Julie

Comment

• Summary - I will have a wander around the papers on this timeline later:

known addresses in London
                          20 Nov 1860 - William joins army, Grenadier Reg Of Guards service no 1829​​​​​​
                          31 Oct 1865 - St Stephen, Paddington, England both living at 38 Pickering Place (1st marriage)
                          1866 - Kates birth - she says Bayswater on one census
                          1868 Sept - Adalines birth address: 26 Camden Place, Notting Hill. Baptism 1869 March also in Notting Hill
                          1869 - Windsor Barracks [wm] and Kensington for Ann second marriage The Royal Chapel, [in the Tower of London] [Whitechapel Reg Dist]
                          1870 Sept - William Henrys birth address is Victoria model dwellings, Francis Street, Westminster; Baptism Horseferry Road Westminster (November)

1871 census in Nottingham

Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

• Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

well, at least that discounts her.

there was another one that I did look at and that was an Ann Larkin that died in a pub but a lady came to her help in looking after her baby that was also named Ann... that made me wonder if it was her or not. There are two pages in the book I have put in order:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...949&pId=420986

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...949&pId=421052
                            That is a very interesting scenario to explain your Ann and very sad. Lots of clues to find out more but bang in the middle of census years unfortunately. Could it be her I wonder.

​​​​​​Vera

Comment

• Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                              Summary - I will have a wander around the papers on this timeline later:

known addresses in London
                              31 Oct 1865 - St Stephen, Paddington, England both living at 38 Pickering Place (1st marriage)
                              1868 Sept - Adalines birth address: 26 Camden Place, Notting Hill. Baptism 1869 March also in Notting Hill
                              1869 - Windsor Barracks [wm] and Kensington for Ann second marriage The Royal Chapel, [in the Tower of London] [Whitechapel Reg Dist]
                              1870 Sept - William Henrys birth address is Victoria model dwellings, Francis Street, Westminster; Baptism Horseferry Road Westminster (November)

CarolynJulie

I have often wondered about baptism address for Briggeda 06.03.68. Bap 6 months after birth. Can you read it?

Vera

Comment

CarolynJulie

I have often wondered about baptism address for Briggeda 06.03.68. Bap 6 months after birth. Can you read it?

Vera
                                Not a clue, I had forgotten it was on there - and have puzzled previously. Says it is in Notting Hill - so guess that is the book.

baptism.JPG
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

• Thanks Carolyn. Looking at it now, it may be Virginia Place

Vera

Comment

• There is a death on GRO for a female Larkin who was registered in the Strand area

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...xes_search.asp

cant do it the way you do it

There is also the birth of Ann Larkin on Ancestry 1845 Strand but no mmn and cant find a record at all on GRO

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource

and what could possibly be a baptism on FMP for Moorfields Roman Catholic Chapel

Ann Larkins born 21 Apr 1845 bap 25 May 1845 father Patrick Larkins mother Margaret Larkins ?mmn cant read the Latin Larkins
                                    Sponsors Thomas McKeon and Margaret Nolan

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/reco...2FPH3%2F039774

Vera

Comment

Thanks Carolyn. Looking at it now, it may be Virginia Place

Vera
                                      I have been squinting at it for ages and just couldn't get it, clearly a skill I don't have

found this on tinternet "Virginia Place was a cul-de-sac off Penzance Place which no longer exists

known addresses in London (amended)
                                      1868 Sept - Adalines birth address: 26 Camden Place, Notting Hill.
                                      1869 March Adalines Baptism 4 Virginia Place, Notting Hill

Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

There is a death on GRO for a female Larkin who was registered in the Strand area

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...xes_search.asp

cant do it the way you do it

There is also the birth of Ann Larkin on Ancestry 1845 Strand but no mmn and cant find a record at all on GRO

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource

and what could possibly be a baptism on FMP for Moorfields Roman Catholic Chapel

Ann Larkins born 21 Apr 1845 bap 25 May 1845 father Patrick Larkins mother Margaret Larkins ?mmn cant read the Latin Larkins
                                        Sponsors Thomas McKeon and Margaret Nolan

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/reco...2FPH3%2F039774

Vera
                                        that looks like a possible.

there is this on GRO I clicked the "phonetically similar", not sure how they got it wrong on GRO - unless they are saying it was mistranscribed onto the index
                                        ​​​​​​LACKIN, ANN mmn RYAN
                                        GRO Reference: 1845 J Quarter in STRAND UNION Volume 01 Page 383
                                        Last edited by cbcarolyn; 21-08-20, 23:16.
                                        Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

• Oh nice one Carolyn. So mm n is Ryan

My link failed for the death of mother
                                          Larkin Margaret aged 35 died 2nd qu 1845 Strand

vera

Comment

Working...
                                          X