Age problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
    Sorry I don't know anything about religion is it possible that Ann wasn't catholic and William was? and she then converted.

Were the marriages both catholic?

there does seem to be a lot of William Henry's but not unusual names.
    Nope, no marriages were Catholic! BUT the children were bapt in the Catholic church. It's a right old muddle of faiths isn't it, AFAIK Williams parents were not RC
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

• So could be any religion then
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

So could be any religion then
        I guess, I do have a Catholic prayer book that I believe was Anns, I know that her children John and Arthur both had it and wrote their names in it.
        Julie

Comment

• Another one possibly to eliminate - Jane Larkins

In the 1871 record of William Brown ( W) Cheesemonger b City of London with a young Flora Brown 3, there are three other children

Transfield Jane 15
          Thomas 13
          Rose 8

They are in 1865 in Marylebone workhouse with mother Jane who had been deserted by their father. Their settlement parish was St Lukes. These according to GRO are the children of mother with mn Larkins

Jane Phoebe1855
          Thomas George 1859
          Rose Maude 1853

Also Alice Adele b 1860
          Elizabeth Kate Larkins b 1853

In 1861 family living Haverstock St, St Lukes In the City

Thomas 27 Brighton Sussex Watchmaker
          Jane 26 Royston Herts
          Elizabeth 8 St Luke
          Jane 6 Hoxton
          Thomas 2 Hoxton
          Alice 5/12 St Luke's

It is likely Jane Larkins/Brown/Tansfield died pre 1873 as Thomas is with Martha In 1871 who he married In 1873 St Giles

I can see an 1841 census for a Jane Larkin with ? Sibs Elizabeth and Sarah In Royston Workhouse. No Ann but possibly not yet born or maybe not connected as she has always said she was born Ireland

vera

Comment

• Jane Transfield Brown died 1st q 1871 Kensington aged 38

Vera

Comment

• Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
              Another one possibly to eliminate - Jane Larkins

In the 1871 record of William Brown ( W) Cheesemonger b City of London with a young Flora Brown 3, there are three other children

Transfield Jane 15
              Thomas 13
              Rose 8

They are in 1865 in Marylebone workhouse with mother Jane who had been deserted by their father. Their settlement parish was St Lukes. These according to GRO are the children of mother with mn Larkins

Jane Phoebe1855
              Thomas George 1859
              Rose Maude 1853

Also Alice Adele b 1860
              Elizabeth Kate Larkins b 1853

In 1861 family living Haverstock St, St Lukes In the City

Thomas 27 Brighton Sussex Watchmaker
              Jane 26 Royston Herts
              Elizabeth 8 St Luke
              Jane 6 Hoxton
              Thomas 2 Hoxton
              Alice 5/12 St Luke's

It is likely Jane Larkins/Brown/Tansfield died pre 1873 as Thomas is with Martha In 1871 who he married In 1873 St Giles

I can see an 1841 census for a Jane Larkin with ? Sibs Elizabeth and Sarah In Royston Workhouse. No Ann but possibly not yet born or maybe not connected as she has always said she was born Ireland
              vera
              Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
              Jane Transfield Brown died 1st q 1871 Kensington aged 38
              Vera
              OOh Vera! I had seen the Tansfield name a few times...

So, you are you saying that Flora Drusilla's dad is William the Cheesemonger? but he also fathered Jane Thomas & Rose? or that Jane and William are Floras parents but William isn't the father of Jane Thomas and Rose?
              Julie

Comment

• Vera, don't you sleep??? I have been on and off all night.
                Julie

Comment

Jane Transfield Brown died 1st q 1871 Kensington aged 38

Vera
                  so that would fall nicely with Flora being with her dad on the 1871 census then.
                  Julie

Comment

• Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

OOh Vera! I had seen the Tansfield name a few times...

So, you are you saying that Flora Drusilla's dad is William the Cheesemonger? but he also fathered Jane Thomas & Rose? or that Jane and William are Floras parents but William isn't the father of Jane Thomas and Rose?
                    I would think Flora Drusilla's father is the William Brown, Cheesemonger mother Jane Transfield nee Larkins.
                    Not sure who the biological father is of the three Transfield children Jane, Thomas and Rose in the 1871 but note Jane Larkins and Thomas Edward Transfield didn't marry until 1860. It's a bit of a muddle.

Not sure why she ended up in a Marylebone Workhouse

I have a terrible sleep pattern.

Vera

Comment

• The Sarah Coningsby on the 1871 is Sarah Larkins, sister of Jane. There is a marriage 1868 in Newington to George Coningsby. Her father is George a Tailor. Witnesses Richard Chas Wells, Emma Wells and Alfred Harris.

Vera

Comment

I would think Flora Drusilla's father is the William Brown, Cheesemonger mother Jane Transfield nee Larkins.
                        Not sure who the biological father is of the three Transfield children Jane, Thomas and Rose in the 1871 but note Jane Larkins and Thomas Edward Transfield didn't marry until 1860. It's a bit of a muddle.

Vera
                        at least we are slowly progressing and eliminating things.. I'm slowly going through the families and adding every last bit of info I can find to the tree, it's a pity that those records for the widows pension arent online, [sorry thinking out loud]

I see that Thomas Edwd Transfield married again in 1873 to Martha Hales.. So I suspect that he knew he was free to remarry if Jane had died pre 1871 cens
                        Julie

Comment

Vera
                          not sure why, maybe she [Jane] was ill??

I have found I think Flora Drusilla in 1881,.. as Flora TRANSFIELD living with her step?dad and mum and siblings

1881: https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=try&h=6229260

but oddly I have found another Transfield family that are an acting/family troup. Same family but in two places over census night.

1881: https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...ntPageIsStart=
                          Julie

Comment

• oh my - the plot always seem to thicken!

I wonder if that second one was done from memory of a neighbour or something - did that sort of thing happen? Not known for pob would make sense.

I love the fact that they are also actors like Sophia Larkin!

Jane from Royston - I guess we can assume that is correct. No sign of parents names?
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

• Very strange. Looks like the same family in Gloucester and Wales and also family of Thomas, previously a Watchmaker.

Sadly not the family connected to your Anne/ie. The mother of Jane, Sarah and Elizabeth Larkins, Sarah died in 1837 according to a family tree. Could possibly have died in childbirth with Annie, says she clutching at straws. Can't see father George, Tailor in any Census.

I note that at the same time Anne Larkins married her William Brown in 1865 she was living in Pickering Place as was William Brown, Cheesemonger.

I will put a link up for NA Pension records for info.

Vera

Comment

• It is odd that it is all going on in Pickering Place.

I am lost now - who is "Sadly not the family connected to your Anne/ie. The mother of Jane, Sarah and Elizabeth Larkins"

Mind you I have so many Larkins now.....

Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

It is odd that it is all going on in Pickering Place.

I am lost now - who is "Sadly not the family connected to your Anne/ie. The mother of Jane, Sarah and Elizabeth Larkins"

Mind you I have so many Larkins now.....

Carolyn
                                  The Jane Transfield mother of the Transfield children with William Brown and Flora in 1871 is Jane Larkins. She is with husband Thomas and the children In the 1861 residing in the City b Royston Herts.

A Jane Larkins aged 10 can be seen in Royston w/use in 1841 with a Sarah and Elizabeth Larkins. There are christening records for Jane In Royston giving f George, mother Sarah. According to d Sarah's m record, George is a Tailor.

Vera

Comment

Very strange. Looks like the same family in Gloucester and Wales and also family of Thomas, previously a Watchmaker.

Sadly not the family connected to your Anne/ie. The mother of Jane, Sarah and Elizabeth Larkins, Sarah died in 1837 according to a family tree. Could possibly have died in childbirth with Annie, says she clutching at straws. Can't see father George, Tailor in any Census.

I note that at the same time Anne Larkins married her William Brown in 1865 she was living in Pickering Place as was William Brown, Cheesemonger.

I will put a link up for NA Pension records for info.

Vera
                                    yes it is very strange! all names and places that my family also had but no obvious connection! how bizarre! once I have added all of the larkins jane transfield etc.. I began looking for Flora Transfield and didn't get very far... technically she could use either name Transfield or Brown as I can't find a marriage for Jane to William..
                                    Last edited by Darksecretz; 17-08-20, 18:55.
                                    Julie

Comment

• doh I read that as - ie the mother of Jane, Sarah and Elizabeth Larkins As in Anne being the mother! Ok I am back on plot!
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

I had a look at her yesterday, it did look interesting. A big Larkin family, I didn't check everything carefully, just to see who his parents are, and couldn't immediately see a link with Ann, he had a sister Sophia (and mother) I think. She was a comedian and is in the newspaper loads!

I think this is them in 1841, dates are a bit out maybe - looks like right name combinations
                                        https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...e&pId=15285665

they have a Jane Larkin

think these will be on gro as on FMP
                                        Larkin
                                        Jane Elizabeth
                                        Clerkenwell, London, England

Larkin
                                        William

Larkin
                                        Emily Selina

also looked for a victualler James Larkin in newspaper, only mention of one that had died in Kent.

Then did wonder if there was a military connection in her father, and he had now left and was drifting around jobs.
                                        Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                        James Rodney Larkin b 1799 is an engraver - and here is his apprentice paper https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...004?pId=942459

Father William Larkin, so get the feeling that they are in London, and maybe no link the Lancaster b Adam Larkin

Here is Williams will:
                                        https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...1_311450-00689

I think these are all of his children, more than mentioned in the will, from baptisms
                                        Willm Henry Larkin Baptism 26 Jul 1779 St Mary Aldermary, City of London, London
                                        Sarah Elizabeth Larkin Baptism 10 Jun 1781 St Mary Aldermary, City of London, London
                                        Robert Joseph Larkin Baptism 12 Oct 1783 St Mary Magdalen, Old Fish Street, City of London, London
                                        Thomas Larkin Baptism 16 Oct 1785 St Ann Blackfriars, City of London, London
                                        Elizabeth Larkin Christening (Baptism) 28 Oct 1787 St Ann Blackfriars, City of London, London
                                        George Samuel Larkin Christening (Baptism) 14 Mar 1790 St Ann Blackfriars, City of London, London
                                        Charles Larkin Baptism 18 Mar 1792 St Ann Blackfriars, City of London, London
                                        Henry Norman Larkin Baptism 22 Jun 1794 St Ann Blackfriars, City of London, London
                                        James Rodney Larkin Baptism 5 May 1799 St Andrew by the Wardrobe, City of London, London
                                        I did dig into this family a little further, but came to a halt, wasn't sure it was going anywhere, but a lot of Larkins.

Just checking is the Adam Larkins b Lancaster? tree all done and a dead end?

William b 1755 names some of the children above, but not all so assume they are not his, or they have died before his death in 1826

William Henry b1779 d 1833
                                        https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...109?pId=318430

George Thomas

Sarah Elizabeth 1781 ?

Robert Joseph 1851 census I think
                                        https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...33&usePUB=true

children William, Eliza and Sarah

Thomas 1785?

Elizabeth 1787 marries Thomas Durnford (in will)

George Samuel d 1791

Charles 1792 in will not found him

Henry Norman marriage to Ann Gaisford ?
                                        https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...591?pId=823904
                                        - have not followed this one

James Rodney b 1799 touched on this tree before married Sophia Handley

census are all quite easy to find 1851 here with all the family
                                        https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...48&usePUB=true
                                        lots of trees with this chap

Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

• oh eck!.. there are more!

I had looked at Adam Larkin with wife Sophie and children Adam, William Henry and Sophia [he is the one from Lancaster originally] so don't think that they are connected.

I also looked at James Rodney but didn't go back as far as you did. I was working my way through the Larkins that are in Kensington. I'm currently on Patrick & Bridget Larkin and looking at their children. tree here: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tr...24493425/facts

I'm not sure what to think really I kind of thought that by plotting the families it may lead somewhere.

Julie

Comment

Working...
                                          X