No announcement yet.

Age problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I also did a check of 1861 and as William may have been fibbing about widower status, checked 1871 but nothing found. Didn't expect it as people moved a lot and birth not close to census. Can't see a death for a Jane Larkin/s or Brown. I did walk to the next street, Church St and saw that there was a Larkin family there but don't see a connec tion to Jane or Ann.

I have read the mc of William and Ann 1865. I note father of Ann is a Victualler and ? something else. Can you read the something else? There is a James and Ann Larkin in the area but he is a grainer/painter.

Vera

Comment

• I've just tried to look for Drusilla [already tried Flora and nada] she either died or the aliens got her!... need new eyes me thinks!
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

• Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
        I also did a check of 1861 and as William may have been fibbing about widower status, checked 1871 but nothing found. Didn't expect it as people moved a lot and birth not close to census. Can't see a death for a Jane Larkin/s or Brown. I did walk to the next street, Church St and saw that there was a Larkin family there but don't see a connec tion to Jane or Ann.

I have read the mc of William and Ann 1865. I note father of Ann is a Victualler and ? something else. Can you read the something else? There is a James and Ann Larkin in the area but he is a grainer/painter.

Vera
        he was a licenced victualler [or so we are lead to believe] on her next marriage he appears as Matthew - labourer.

I really do appreciate this Vera, I don't know London very well, but from looking at maps I'm getting a little better.

I'm not sure whether to say that Ann was illegitimate or whether she was purely trying to 'muddy the waters' for some reason or not... the fact that she blatently lied and changed names on her childrens R/C baptisms [I'm guessing her then-husband [John] wasn't interested in her 'faith']
        Julie

Comment

• Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

he was a licenced victualler [or so we are lead to believe] on her next marriage he appears as Matthew - labourer.

I really do appreciate this Vera, I don't know London very well, but from looking at maps I'm getting a little better.

I'm not sure whether to say that Ann was illegitimate or whether she was purely trying to 'muddy the waters' for some reason or not... the fact that she blatently lied and changed names on her childrens R/C baptisms [I'm guessing her then-husband [John] wasn't interested in her 'faith']
          Don't recall seeing Licensed Victualler in Irish records so father James/Matthew could be in the UK. I have a feeling the Larkins are around Nth Kensington. The forays into Westminster are because Ann married a Guardsman. It's strange that William who was by all accounts an exemplary Soldier chose to marry possibly without permission of commanding officer. Maybe Ann would have not been considered acceptable.

There aren't many Larkins around Kensington/Paddington so I will poke around a bit more.

Vera

Comment

Don't recall seeing Licensed Victualler in Irish records so father James/Matthew could be in the UK. I have a feeling the Larkins are around Nth Kensington. The forays into Westminster are because Ann married a Guardsman. It's strange that William who was by all accounts an exemplary Soldier chose to marry possibly without permission of commanding officer. Maybe Ann would have not been considered acceptable.
            There aren't many Larkins around Kensington/Paddington so I will poke around a bit more.
            Vera
            I've never been able to see much, it's only the R/C baptisms that have recently come to light that has given me a glimmer. If I remember from when I was looking before that Kensington was known as little Ireland because of all of the Irish that were there... I wonder why they were there. I have done a blanket search for Larkins in London and found 6 Larkins, so I'll have a look to see if I can create and follow a tree for them... not much but at least it's a start.

Julie

Comment

• https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...9&pId=11599389

can you make out William Henry Larkins occupation? something and Grainer? no clue!
              Julie

Comment

• looks like Writer ???
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

• 1881 it says Writer and Grainer (painter)
                  https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...5&pId=13140437
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

• Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                    1881 it says Writer and Grainer (painter)
                    https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...5&pId=13140437
                    Thank you, I keep coming and going, I'm on the trail of a William Henry Larkin that marries a Mary Green, they have a daughter Drusilla!
                    Last edited by Darksecretz; 14-08-20, 15:22.
                    Julie

Comment

I also did a check of 1861 and as William may have been fibbing about widower status, checked 1871 but nothing found. Didn't expect it as people moved a lot and birth not close to census. Can't see a death for a Jane Larkin/s or Brown. I did walk to the next street, Church St and saw that there was a Larkin family there but don't see a connec tion to Jane or Ann.

Vera
                      Sorry it wasn't James who was the writer/grainer. Will check out James'occupation

EDIT or maybe he was. Wonder if William H is his son.

Vera

Comment

• cheesemongers in and around 1867, can't see anything obvious.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/co...united-kingdom
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

• Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

Thank you, I keep coming and going, I'm on the trail of a William Henry Larkin that marries a Mary Green, they have a daughter Drusilla!
                          Where did you see the daughter.

Have you found it as it in next to Gregory Place?

Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

Vera
                            does it just say licensed victualler?

Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

Where did you see the daughter.

Have you found it as it in next to Gregory Place?
                              Yes it's Church walk next to Gregory Place, William and Mary are living at number 2 I think it is. Their Susannah Drusilla is born in 1889. She marries in 1930 but I can't seem to find her after that.
                              Julie

Comment

• I had a look at her yesterday, it did look interesting. A big Larkin family, I didn't check everything carefully, just to see who his parents are, and couldn't immediately see a link with Ann, he had a sister Sophia (and mother) I think. She was a comedian and is in the newspaper loads!

I think this is them in 1841, dates are a bit out maybe - looks like right name combinations
                                https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...e&pId=15285665

they have a Jane Larkin

think these will be on gro as on FMP
                                Larkin
                                Jane Elizabeth
                                Clerkenwell, London, England

Larkin
                                William

Larkin
                                Emily Selina

also looked for a victualler James Larkin in newspaper, only mention of one that had died in Kent.

Then did wonder if there was a military connection in her father, and he had now left and was drifting around jobs.
                                Last edited by cbcarolyn; 15-08-20, 10:06.
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

I had a look at her yesterday, it did look interesting. A big Larkin family, I didn't check everything carefully, just to see who his parents are, and couldn't immediately see a link with Ann, he had a sister Sophia (and mother) I think. She was a comedian and is in the newspaper loads!

I think this is them in 1841, dates are a bit out maybe - looks like right name combinations
                                  https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...e&pId=15285665
                                  they have a Jane Larkin

think these will be on gro as on FMP
                                  Larkin
                                  Jane Elizabeth

Larkin
                                  William

Larkin
                                  Emily Selina

also looked for a victualler James Larkin in newspaper, only mention of one that had died in Kent.

Then did wonder if there was a military connection in her father, and he had now left and was drifting around jobs.
                                  I was going to look for them in the 1841 though some names are right I just wish it'd give relationships.

William Henry's father 'should' be Adam, on my tree I have Sophies baptism in 1832 with father Adam and mother Sophie in BARRACKS so there might be service recs for Adam??

Sophies bapt:
                                  https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...78?pId=6565226

I have looked around for William Henry's bapt but not found anything concrete!..

oooooooh just found a will for Adam Larkin, naming his sons William Henry and Adam and daughter Sophie!.. he died in 1837 aged 47!
                                  Julie

Comment

• The more you find the more it seems there could be a connection.

FMP has this

i think that must be the one on fold 3
                                    doesn't tell you anything really

edit found more - https://photos.app.goo.gl/NrRiCPEzt9MB11hN8
                                    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 15-08-20, 15:34.
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

• Sophia died at her Aunts residence in 1903 - wonder who her Aunt was
                                      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 15-08-20, 15:46.
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

• 1841 census is down as darkins on ancestry
                                        https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...5&pId=16048854

Living with William Sanders Publican Union Street, Kent Road, Surrey

head hurts now! Sanders Briggs was Sophias name - so her brother?
                                        Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

• no Jane or Ann Larkins
                                          Carolyn
                                          Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                          X