No announcement yet.

Age problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wondered about that too, wish the Notts disc was like the Leicester St. Margarets one!
    Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

• Will just leave you with this one that I thought could be Hannah 1871

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
      http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

that is the pdf Vera.

This is the issue, I don't want to order the marriage cert for Kate Brown to Richard Skelton if she is the same Katie that is doesn't have a father if that makes sense.. as the witness' don't necessarily have to be family members. IF this is the same Kate then why doesn't she stay close to her family? I'm just not that confident in thinking that I'd achieve much by getting the cert.
        Been pondering on this a while. There wasn't any Workhouse record on Ancestry for the Katie Brown b 1866 that I could see. I'm not convinced Katie is Elizabeth's d. Kensington Town is a sub reg of Kensington and an area at the time of a lot of deprivation unlike their neighbours in Notting Hill Gate. Also close to Bayswafer and Paddington.

William and Ann first married in Paddington St Stephens Anglican in 1865 and it would appear no children b until 1868 unless some deaths. St Stephens borders on Bayswater. William and Ann were living at the time of the first m in Pickering Place close to the Barracks which is quite a bit South in Westminster.

However one of the buts is why does Ann give her maiden name as Brown on the bc in 1866. Possibly not wanting to disclose couple were married without permission ( off on a tangent a bit there)

Little Katie was a scholar at time of 1871 and had hoped there would have been a Notts School record but none on FMP. As you say Julie you could get the mc of Katie and Richard with f details blank and no further forward.

Vera

Comment

• Originally posted by Elaine View Post
          I wondered about that too, wish the Notts disc was like the Leicester St. Margarets one!
          life would be a lot simpler if they all used the same data set. I'm not sure if our local studies library would have Nottm churches on fiche or not though I am doubtful.
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

• Originally posted by vera2013 View Post

Been pondering on this a while. There wasn't any Workhouse record on Ancestry for the Katie Brown b 1866 that I could see. I'm not convinced Katie is Elizabeth's d. Kensington Town is a sub reg of Kensington and an area at the time of a lot of deprivation unlike their neighbours in Notting Hill Gate. Also close to Bayswafer and Paddington.

William and Ann first married in Paddington St Stephens Anglican in 1865 and it would appear no children b until 1868 unless some deaths. St Stephens borders on Bayswater. William and Ann were living at the time of the first m in Pickering Place close to the Barracks which is quite a bit South in Westminster.

However one of the buts is why does Ann give her maiden name as Brown on the bc in 1866. Possibly not wanting to disclose couple were married without permission ( off on a tangent a bit there)

Little Katie was a scholar at time of 1871 and had hoped there would have been a Notts School record but none on FMP. As you say Julie you could get the mc of Katie and Richard with f details blank and no further forward.

Vera
            Vera,

Thank you for pondering this, it never occurred to me at all that Katie could be William & Anns! [the penny finally dropped!] I know that the LMA have records on ancestry via the LMA website but trying to gain access is being problematic!... [I was thinking praps they had w/h records/admissions etc... ] ahhhhhhhggg why is it so infuriating!!!!

it's looking more and more like I'm going to have to get the m/cert isn't it, not unless i can find the info online!..
            Julie

Comment

Vera
              the only thing with the marriage cert it could be a big surprise and be William and Anns child.

As all their children have catholic baptisms I thought if she were theirs, I might find a baptism, I think all of them have now been found. Although it may just be that those records are not available, or really badly transcribed - not helped by being in Latin!

I am still not sure why Elizabeth would be in London and in 1911 she said she had no children, and Kate would still be alive, but could have fallen out?
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

• Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

the only thing with the marriage cert it could be a big surprise and be William and Anns child.

As all their children have catholic baptisms I thought if she were theirs, I might find a baptism, I think all of them have now been found. Although it may just be that those records are not available, or really badly transcribed - not helped by being in Latin!

I am still not sure why Elizabeth would be in London and in 1911 she said she had no children, and Kate would still be alive, but could have fallen out?
                Knowing how devious Ann was with the other baptisms I'm 'really' now thinking that the Catherine bapt you found was the right one!.. Quin [if that really is what it says] could be another family name? I'd like to know though what the name of the male godparent was though.. I just can't seem to make it out. I have been looking to see if I can access Nottingham Local studies online but then got sidetracked looking at something else!!! I'm getting awful at doing this.. I spend ages looking around for something I didn't know I needed!!

I presumed [badly now] that Katie was Elizabeths! [she could have been visiting/living with William/Ann?]

I'm not sure just where Henry comes into it, Though it makes me wonder if it was a family name.. she uses it as her 'husbands' name on Catherines bapt.. but she also names William, William Henry.. I might just be grabbing at straws though!!

am going to see if I can find anything about Nottm LS Libraries being online.
                Julie

Comment

• shame there is nothing in the papers, maybe one day there will be more papers that way and you will be lucky.

With that baptism - I had thought it could say Ann, the transcription said Ellen, but I didn't feel it was conclusive, Catherine fits and Larkin also, Quin could almost be Brown...

Disappointed that there are no army references to children.
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

If Katie was the child of Ann and William Brown who married in an Anglican church, I doubt they would take her to an RC Church to be christened. The priest would likely want to know if the couple were married and where. However that Katie b 1866 reg Kensington Town may well have been christened by the w/house which is likely to be Marloes Road area Kensington. I think I'm tying myself in knots.

the male godfather for Catherine's baptism looks like Joannis (John)

Vera

Comment

• An after thought there are some pension records at the National Archives for Army Widows but they may be in service only although William should have had a service pension.

vera

Comment

• I did have a wander around TNA - didn't find anything, but an odd site to use!
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

An after thought there are some pension records at the National Archives for Army Widows but they may be in service only although William should have had a service pension.

vera
                          I cannot for the life of me use TNA I just don't get it, the search engine just baffles me.

Ann would only have had her pension for possibly 4 years and then lost it when she married John.

Vera, it's interesting that you mention the children not marrying in an Anglican church.

William/Ann marry St Stephens Paddington 1865 then St Peter ad Vincula [The Royal Chapel] Tower of London in 1869
                          Ann later marries again in St Wilfrids parish Church Kirkby in Ashfield in 1876.

yet the children almost all marry in register offices.. I need to check with my cousin about one of them.
                          Julie

Comment

• I'm having a look at TNA. They do take you round the houses a bit. At the moment the digitalised records are free to download, up to a certain number.

Vera

Comment

I'm having a look at TNA. They do take you round the houses a bit. At the moment the digitalised records are free to download, up to a certain number.

Vera
                              Thanks Vera, I really can't fathom that site.
                              Julie

Comment

yes it WAS a shock!... it arrived this morning and father is given as William Brown FWK [Decd]

But yet again I'm left with two witness names I can't place!

Richard Foster & Sophia Lines

does anyone know where the register office in Nottingham was in Feb 1887? It wasn't Shakespeare St as that didn't become a R/O until August 1887.
                                Julie

Comment

• yay - so mystery solved, that makes sense to me. Maybe another search in the baptisms.

Elizabeth is all good now then, and seem to remember in 1911 she said she had no children? or am I misremembering
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

yay - so mystery solved, that makes sense to me. Maybe another search in the baptisms.

Elizabeth is all good now then, and seem to remember in 1911 she said she had no children? or am I misremembering
                                    No that is correct Carolyn, I just don't know why I didn't clock that info before!.. As we can't find a birth with the correct MMN I'm wondering if there will be a baptism somewhere..
                                    Catherine Quin bapt was a red herring as there is a birth in the index for her, so she appears to be legit.
                                    Julie

Comment

• Well I have been having a look and tracking Annie and I think that I have her marriage and after she married I can't seem to find her with Margaret in 1871 though I am pretty sure when I looked before I did find Margaret and Annie.

1881: https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...07&usePUB=true

1885 marriage: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...49&pId=7755203

1901: https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...07&usePUB=true
                                      note the visitor.

1911: https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...&rhSource=7814
                                      Julie

Comment

• I've had a thought if she was born in the workhouse then there may be a record of the mother being admitted? [I'm thinking Katie being born in WH]
                                        Julie

Comment

• Could be, will look later today.
                                          Carolyn
                                          Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                          X