Age problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age problem...

I have been looking very carefully at a Kate/ie Brown that was born 1867 according to all the census I have found her on.

in 1871 she appears with her mother/grandmother https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=try&h=4858848
    1871 England Census; Class: RG10; Piece: 3478; Folio: 127; Page: 52; GSU roll: 839428

1881 I 'think' I have found her as a servant. https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource
    Source Citation Class: RG11; Piece: 3353; Folio: 42; Page: 48; GSU roll: 1341800

Now, in 1887 I think she has married a Richard Skelton [sometimes mistrans as Shelton]

1891: https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource
    Class: RG12; Piece: 2766; Folio: 61; Page: 8; GSU roll: 6097876

1901: https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource
    Class: RG13; Piece: 4386; Folio: 150; Page: 4

1911: https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource
    Class: RG14; Piece: 28016

They ALL give her YOB as 1867...

I can find TWO Kate/Katie Browns being born in Kensington dist 1866 [Katie] and 1867 Kate.. both MMN -

would you be inclined to think that 'my' Kate is the 1867 one?

most census nights were taken in April [post 1860] with the exception of 1901 which was 31st March.

not saying I make much in the way of sense but just thought that I might ask you all so i'm not going batty all by myself!!

sorry for the long post! and thank you in advance for any replies
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Have you followed the other Katie through the censuses or found any baptisms for either? I see she is named as Kate on all the censuses except for the first one. However, she is with her grandparents and they may have used 'Katie' for the young child - as you do
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Is wedding record on line any witnesses to tie her in?
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
        Have you followed the other Katie through the censuses or found any baptisms for either? I see she is named as Kate on all the censuses except for the first one. However, she is with her grandparents and they may have used 'Katie' for the young child - as you do
        no I haven't yet, as she seems a little more difficult to track as I have no idea if she stayed in london or not. :(

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
        Is wedding record on line any witnesses to tie her in?
        not that I have found Carolyn, and even then I suspect her fathers name will be blank.. I suspect he was a Soldier, [Elizabeth's brother [Kates mum] William was a grenadier guard] I want to be 99% sure though that she is my Kate before sending off for any certs.

I haven't found her at any other point with her mother Elizabeth, and even though Elizabeth married she never had more children so can't even connect that way.

my mum always said that her mum used to go and see her Aunt Kate.. but not sure if this is the same person or not.. certainly the only Kate in her immediate family.

Julie

Comment

I think i've now found the 'other' Kate... with her mother Margaret and sister Annie...

1881: https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...try&h=13183384
          Class: RG11; Piece: 34; Folio: 111; Page: 44; GSU roll: 1341008

1891:
          https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource
          Class: RG12; Piece: 473; Folio: 63; Page: 9; GSU roll: 6095583
          though not totally sure this is her!...

i'll have a look to see if I can track Margaret [mum] when I get back from School.
          Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
            I think i've now found the 'other' Kate... with her mother Margaret and sister Annie...

1881: https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...try&h=13183384
            Class: RG11; Piece: 34; Folio: 111; Page: 44; GSU roll: 1341008

1891:
            https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource
            Class: RG12; Piece: 473; Folio: 63; Page: 9; GSU roll: 6095583
            though not totally sure this is her!...

i'll have a look to see if I can track Margaret [mum] when I get back from School.
            er.. that'd be a no then.. can't seem to find her
            Julie

Comment

have you seen this death:

BROWN, KATE 5
              GRO Reference: 1871 S Quarter in KENSINGTON Volume 01A Page 155
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

BROWN, KATE 5
                I have now... ****...

my head hurts!

Julie

Comment

looks like you must have the right Kate then
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

BROWN, KATE 5
                    so, this could possibly be the 1866 birth then? though just because they died there doesn't necessarily mean that she was born there.

Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

so, this could possibly be the 1866 birth then? though just because they died there doesn't necessarily mean that she was born there.
                      yes, not a particularly unique name, wonder if there is anything about the death anywhere that gives any clues, apart form the death cert.

And not helping that neither appear to have fathers
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

yes, not a particularly unique name, wonder if there is anything about the death anywhere that gives any clues, apart form the death cert.

And not helping that neither appear to have fathers
                        Hmmn not sure where to go from here then.

Julie

Comment

I notice that there are a lot of trees with her in, and has an exact death date in 1954, so was hoping that there maybe some certs around.

Unless you get some certificates, and even then might not tell you enough, I think you are left with assumptions for now. There might be a burial for the Kensington one day! and might just have something.

Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

I notice that there are a lot of trees with her in, and has an exact death date in 1954, so was hoping that there maybe some certs around.

Unless you get some certificates, and even then might not tell you enough, I think you are left with assumptions for now. There might be a burial for the Kensington one day! and might just have something.
                            oooh I didn't think to look for trees! I'm guessing that it was Kate Skelton that you mean was in the tree???
                            Julie

Comment

I've found one tree with her in but i'm not convinced it's right!.. I think i'll fire off a message to her and see what we can work out between us.
                              Julie

Comment

Well i've fired off a message to her, guess we'll see now what happens. Will update thread accordingly.
                                Julie

Comment

someone must have the cert, let's hope they are willing to share I would.
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

someone must have the cert, let's hope they are willing to share I would.
                                    you'd kinda hope wouldn't you. No reply yet from her.
                                    Julie

Comment

there seems to be quite a few out there with her in it.
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

there seems to be quite a few out there with her in it.
                                        really? I only saw the one...
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X