Age problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

I have been squinting at it for ages and just couldn't get it, clearly a skill I don't have

found this on tinternet "Virginia Place was a cul-de-sac off Penzance Place which no longer exists

known addresses in London (amended)
    20 Nov 1860 - William joins army, Grenadier Reg Of Guards service no 1829​​​​​​
    31 Oct 1865 - St Stephen, Paddington, England both living at 38 Pickering Place (1st marriage)
    1866 - Kates birth - she says Bayswater on one census
    1868 Sept - Adalines birth address: 26 Camden Place, Notting Hill.
    1869 March Adalines Baptism 4 Virginia Place, Notting Hill
    1869 - Windsor Barracks [wm] and Kensington for Ann second marriage The Royal Chapel, [in the Tower of London] [Whitechapel Reg Dist]
    1870 Sept - William Henrys birth address is Victoria model dwellings, Francis Street, Westminster; Baptism Horseferry Road Westminster (November)

1871 census in Nottingham
    found the bit in red on a website. I found nothing in the papers, using these addresses at the times they were there.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

• interesting that there are a number of Irish in Virginia Place in 1881

​​​​​​Archive reference RG11
      Piece number 31
      Folio 119
      Page 23

I know a time after they have gone
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

• I did a general google last night of all the addresses, Pickering Place has an interesting history, and there a few blog posts about the history and some photos which I found interesting, no help to find your family though!
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Comment

• Thanks Carolyn,

Not sure now where to go with this.
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

• does seem to be a brick wall, at least you have the parents now.

More records coming all the time, maybe one day those pension records will be out. Did look at how to get to Kew from here, as thought I might like a trip one day, it is in a strange place really and easier for me to drive than go on public transport. Maybe one day they will be in the papers!

DNA?
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Comment

does seem to be a brick wall, at least you have the parents now.

More records coming all the time, maybe one day those pension records will be out. Did look at how to get to Kew from here, as thought I might like a trip one day, it is in a strange place really and easier for me to drive than go on public transport. Maybe one day they will be in the papers!

DNA?
              Not even sure that I do! or do you mean Kate's parents?

Yes more records are, and I know that not everything is online yet

I may find someone that would be willing to go with me, I know roughly where it is and I believe that there is a big car park there too.

Yes have done that route and nothing, nada, zilch is showing for that line.

seems like this wall doesn't want to be broken.
              Julie

Comment

• Not too sure how helpful/relevant this is, but found this in the papers about Virginia Place.

The Globe, 1 June 1877
                Attached Files
                Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

• Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                  Not too sure how helpful/relevant this is, but found this in the papers about Virginia Place.

The Globe, 1 June 1877
                  Thanks hun, it sure shows you what kind of awful conditions the housing was back then.. horrific.
                  Julie

Comment

• I'm still taking my walk around Nth Ken.

Interesting about Ozgirl's post that Victoria Place was a!so one of the areas of very poor conditions with inhabitants mostly Irish. I had not up to now found a Larkin/s living in those dire conditions. In fact not many Larkin/s or Ann/s

I found another Larkin but in Pickering Mews Paddington. Just for info

David Larkins 33 b 1818 Green Grocer b Beds
                    ?Myrilla 35 b 1816 Norfolk
                    ?Myrilla 7 b 1844 Paddington
                    William 4 b 1847. "
                    Thomas 3 b 1848. "
                    Emily 1 b 1850. "

Ellen Shane 25 b 1826 Servant Ireland

Just re-read Oz girl. 1877! The conditions appeared to be around 25 years previously with people packed into what I imagine would likely be small houses. This was the notorious Jennings Building.

Vera

Comment

• Blimey Vera i'll bet your legs are tired...lol.

I got engrossed in the James Larkins & Ann on the 1851 @ Camden Place... interesting that Ann is living at Camden Place when Adaline is born. I kinda got sidetracked looking through that whole lot of images.... so near, yet so blooming far!
                      Julie

Comment

• I'm enjoying the exercise. Can picture some addresses in my mind's eye. Used to shop near Pickering Place. Sainsburys £6 for a week's shopping. Shall we go back in time?

I will carry on but might be worth thinking about getting dc, if available, of Ann and/ or James Larkins from Camden Place to check out/eliminate informant.

vera

Comment

• Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                          I'm enjoying the exercise. Can picture some addresses in my mind's eye. Used to shop near Pickering Place. Sainsburys £6 for a week's shopping. Shall we go back in time?

I will carry on but might be worth thinking about getting dc, if available, of Ann and/ or James Larkins from Camden Place to check out/eliminate informant.

vera
                          yep sounds lovely, and Pickering place is quite swanky now isn't it? I had been tracking J&A but can't seem to see much after 1851.
                          Julie

Comment

• vera2013 did you live that way? or just work that way? Was fascinated by the history

https://www.londonshoes.blog/2017/11...public-square/

https://memoirsofametrogirl.com/2017...quare-history/

these 2 blog posts fascinated me.

Was disappointed that Edith streets doesn't seem to have covered the area, I do like to see some of her posts on areas in London http://edithsstreets.blogspot.com/
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

• Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                              Blimey Vera i'll bet your legs are tired...lol.
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

Yes and one of them's Gammy

vera

Comment

• Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

yep sounds lovely, and Pickering place is quite swanky now isn't it? I had been tracking J&A but can't seem to see much after 1851.
                                  Pretty sure there are 2 Pickering Places. One very small ?St James area, small cul de sac housing an Embassy.
                                  The other one Paddington, Bayswater which may also be posh now if it still exists.

I never found Ann and James after 1851. So possibly died

vera

Comment

vera2013 did you live that way? or just work that way? Was fascinated by the history

https://www.londonshoes.blog/2017/11...public-square/

https://memoirsofametrogirl.com/2017...quare-history/

these 2 blog posts fascinated me.

Was disappointed that Edith streets doesn't seem to have covered the area, I do like to see some of her posts on areas in London http://edithsstreets.blogspot.com/
                                    I lived, worked, married and had dau all around that area 64-71. Last address W10.

I'll see if I can find map for what I think may be a more like!y Pickering Place altho the St James one good for William's barracks.

Vera

Comment

• I'M JUST GOING THROUGH oops caps lock hit.. just going through the 51 census looking for hints.
                                      Julie

Comment

• Pickering place in 1861 is here:
                                        https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...8453&pId=14306

This is the summary of the area:
                                        Screenshot 2020-08-25 at 19.59.11.png

Bishops Road, Pickering Terrace, Westbourne Grove Terrace, Westbourne Grove, Celbridge Mews are some of the roads that I can see
                                        Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

• here it is
                                          https://maps.nls.uk/view/102345961#z...2265&layers=BT

if that works
                                          Carolyn
                                          Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                          X