No announcement yet.

Age problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oh me gads you are running off with me... lol, I have just spent the best part of three smegging hours to transcribe the will of Adam Larkin. I was reading and daughter was writing.

I think that she may well have been lodging with John? on the 41 census but I haven't looked into this deeply yet.

her parents were Henry Briggs and Elizabeth Sanders and she was known as Sophia Sanders otherwise Briggs.. parents not married?

Adam was Quartermaster Corporal in the Life Guards and was born 1790 ish [47 at death]
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

• Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
      I had a look at her yesterday, it did look interesting. A big Larkin family, I didn't check everything carefully, just to see who his parents are, and couldn't immediately see a link with Ann, he had a sister Sophia (and mother) I think. She was a comedian and is in the newspaper loads!

I think this is them in 1841, dates are a bit out maybe - looks like right name combinations
      https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...e&pId=15285665

they have a Jane Larkin

think these will be on gro as on FMP
      Larkin
      Jane Elizabeth
      Clerkenwell, London, England

Larkin
      William

Larkin
      Emily Selina

also looked for a victualler James Larkin in newspaper, only mention of one that had died in Kent.

Then did wonder if there was a military connection in her father, and he had now left and was drifting around jobs.

so if my Sophie [Adams wife] had three children Sophie 1832 William Henry 1834 and Adam in 1837 and then he snuffed it.. who the heck are James & Sophie living and producing children in Clerkenwell?? with the same names?

Julie

Comment

• John? there is a John Pike on the newspaper cutting re the release of shares.

Did you see he is from Lancaaster?
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Sophia died at her Aunts residence in 1903 - wonder who her Aunt was
          https://photos.app.goo.gl/1TJpffBdA1sd7K4C6
          Was about to post this but got tc. Saw this yesterday when a brother also visits the Aunt

1891 census 270 King St Hammersmith

Eliza Conston 68 Living on own means b Soho
          Charles B Son 43 Coal Merchant b Kensington
          Sophia Larkin 58 Niece Actress b Regents Park
          Sophia. " 26 Niece Actress b Belfast

Elizabeth and Thirza Horwood Servants

for info there are 2 Gregory Place, W11 near Bayswater, W8 near Kensington Gardens. Still not seeing Jane Larkin

Vera

Comment

John? there is a John Pike on the newspaper cutting re the release of shares.

Did you see he is from Lancaaster?
            Yes I saw John Pike.. I have just been researching and looking for info and adding deaths of Sophie Sanders Briggs and Sophie Larkin actress and trawling through endless burial registers to see that they are both buried in the same grave, but 33 ish years apart.
            Julie

Comment

Did you see he is from Lancaster?

yes I did, so that is possibly another lead to go down, if either you or Vera want access to the tree I have started shout up and I'll give you access.

Julie

Comment

• Originally posted by vera2013 View Post

Was about to post this but got tc. Saw this yesterday when a brother also visits the Aunt

1891 census 270 King St Hammersmith

Eliza Conston 68 Living on own means b Soho
                Charles B Son 43 Coal Merchant b Kensington
                Sophia Larkin 58 Niece Actress b Regents Park
                Sophia. " 26 Niece Actress b Belfast

Elizabeth and Thirza Horwood Servants

for info there are 2 Gregory Place, W11 near Bayswater, W8 near Kensington Gardens. Still not seeing Jane Larkin

Vera
                Yes, Eliza Conston also has a sister Mary Ann? I think I saw her somewhere when Sophia was visiting. [Though I have been looking at so many different records I may be getting slightly muddled]
                Julie

Comment

• Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

Yes, Eliza Conston also has a sister Mary Ann? I think I saw her somewhere when Sophia was visiting. [Though I have been looking at so many different records I may be getting slightly muddled]
                  yep 1881 census with Mary Ann [cousin]

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...9?pId=13291842
                  Julie

Comment

• Sorry I should have posted, did go down that rabbit hole, and thought as she was not Larkins...I left it!

Eliza Biggs marries mr Corston (sorry didn't note), and gave birth to Mary Ann, so assumed she was Sophia sister. Didn't pursue further.
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

• Why are we looking at these people pl. Are you hoping for link to Ann or is it Jane Larkins. I will read the posts again

vera

Comment

Why are we looking at these people pl. Are you hoping for link to Ann or is it Jane Larkins. I will read the posts again

vera
                        yes I think Julie hoping for a link, but seems to be hard to find. William Henry Larkin b 1835 had many children one of whom was Susannah Drusilla Larkin.

I was hoping that going back they maybe we would get some brothers (and sisters). I got a bit sidetracked as sister Sophia Larkin b1833 never married and was a comedienne and an actress, and she is all over the newspapers.

Adam Larkin was b in Lancaster b1790 and was in army.

There is also a James Rodney Larkin b c1799 - he seems to originate from Blackfriars, and does have a daughter Jane Larkin b1837, but I think she marries a Hargreaves. His wife is Sophia too! and a son William...but think they are a red herring.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

• Thanks Carolyn. So you started with William H Larkin in Kensington who had a child with Drusilla as one of her names. If no break thru at least all the work will help eliminate.

I will look elsewhere at the witnesses to the marriage and baptisms. We have an Ellena Brown as sponsor for Adeline and what is probably friends/neighbours for William H's bap and the 1st marriage.

I wonder if the Army Pension records for William and for Ann as a widow would throw out some c!ues. I have identified x 3 records at the NA but unfortunately not digitalised.

Vera

Comment

• I wonder if Nancy Larkin can be Anne

I was looking at the Ellen/a Larkins Sponsor for Adeline and came across this family in 1851

Ellen Larkin widow 50 b Ireland
                            John Larkin son 15 Labourer 15 b Ireland
                            Nancy Larkin 12 b Ireland

Living 13 Gardener Lane, Westminster

In 1861 just Ellen and John no Nancy

In 1871 Ellen, John, his wife Elizabeth (Daly) and g/dau Ellen living Westminster

In 1881John , Eliza, Ellen living Westminster. Mother Ellen in W/house. Dies 1888

No John Eliza Ellen after 1881 or any sign of Nancy. Wonder if they emigrated.
                            Baps for their children give Sponsors of Helena Larkin and Maria Larkin.

EDIT I think she may have been indentured to work in Australia in 1854.

Vera

Comment

Thanks Carolyn. So you started with William H Larkin in Kensington who had a child with Drusilla as one of her names. If no break thru at least all the work will help eliminate.

I will look elsewhere at the witnesses to the marriage and baptisms. We have an Ellena Brown as sponsor for Adeline and what is probably friends/neighbours for William H's bap and the 1st marriage.

I wonder if the Army Pension records for William and for Ann as a widow would throw out some c!ues. I have identified x 3 records at the NA but unfortunately not digitalised.

Vera
                              Sorry I had been looking at records. Vera, what I'm trying to do now is track ALL Larkin families that appear in Kensington as it seems a bit odd to me that she should 'appear' [Ann Larkins] and marry William Brown. I was kind of hoping that by tracking the Larkin/s that I might find a glimmer of light and hopefully be able to go a bit further back on this line. I'm probably going about this in a whole wrong way though.

Ellen Brown is Williams sister. No clue on the other sponsors/godparents in the baptisms though.

Absolutely nothing in the service records for William, except that he was a FWK and came from Kirkby. States he was a Corporal at the time of retiring through ill health. He dies in 1872 [from memory] and Ann remarries in 1876.
                              Julie

Comment

• James Rodney Larkin b 1799 is an engraver - and here is his apprentice paper https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...004?pId=942459

Father William Larkin, so get the feeling that they are in London, and maybe no link the Lancaster b Adam Larkin

Here is Williams will:
                                https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...1_311450-00689

I think these are all of his children, more than mentioned in the will, from baptisms
                                Willm Henry Larkin Baptism 26 Jul 1779 St Mary Aldermary, City of London, London
                                Sarah Elizabeth Larkin Baptism 10 Jun 1781 St Mary Aldermary, City of London, London
                                Robert Joseph Larkin Baptism 12 Oct 1783 St Mary Magdalen, Old Fish Street, City of London, London
                                Thomas Larkin Baptism 16 Oct 1785 St Ann Blackfriars, City of London, London
                                Elizabeth Larkin Christening (Baptism) 28 Oct 1787 St Ann Blackfriars, City of London, London
                                George Samuel Larkin Christening (Baptism) 14 Mar 1790 St Ann Blackfriars, City of London, London
                                Charles Larkin Baptism 18 Mar 1792 St Ann Blackfriars, City of London, London
                                Henry Norman Larkin Baptism 22 Jun 1794 St Ann Blackfriars, City of London, London
                                James Rodney Larkin Baptism 5 May 1799 St Andrew by the Wardrobe, City of London, London
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

• Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

Ellen Brown is Williams sister. No clue on the other sponsors/godparents in the baptisms though.
                                  Silly me. I didn't recheck the bap record. Thought it was Ellena Larkin. Well at least got to eliminate Ellen with children John and Nancy

Only way to go with this one but for an Irish family it's odd Ann doesn't have family members as sponsors/witnesses . And then not knowing who father is? Have you had sight of the Notts mc re name of father? Probably another name.

I'll keep looking at sponsors/witnesses for now.

Vera

Comment

Silly me. I didn't recheck the bap record. Thought it was Ellena Larkin. Well at least got to eliminate Ellen with children John and Nancy

Only way to go with this one but for an Irish family it's odd Ann doesn't have family members as sponsors/witnesses . And then not knowing who father is? Have you had sight of the Notts mc re name of father? Probably another name.

I'll keep looking at sponsors/witnesses for now.

Vera
                                    I thought it was Ellen Brown on bapt, I'll have to re check!.. [yes god mother is Ellena Brown on Briggedas/Adalines bapt]

Yes I have all of her m/certs. Ist James licensed victualler [1865] 2nd Matthew labourer [1869] to the same person!! 3rd and final Matthew labourer in 1876. All of the witness names don't have any connection familywise to them.

Maybe she was illegitimate or just didn't know who her father was. I have no idea!
                                    Julie

Comment

James Rodney Larkin b 1799 is an engraver - and here is his apprentice paper https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...004?pId=942459

Father William Larkin, so get the feeling that they are in London, and maybe no link the Lancaster b Adam Larkin

Here is Williams will:
                                      https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...1_311450-00689

I think these are all of his children, more than mentioned in the will, from baptisms
                                      Willm Henry Larkin Baptism 26 Jul 1779 St Mary Aldermary, City of London, London
                                      Sarah Elizabeth Larkin Baptism 10 Jun 1781 St Mary Aldermary, City of London, London
                                      Robert Joseph Larkin Baptism 12 Oct 1783 St Mary Magdalen, Old Fish Street, City of London, London
                                      Thomas Larkin Baptism 16 Oct 1785 St Ann Blackfriars, City of London, London
                                      Elizabeth Larkin Christening (Baptism) 28 Oct 1787 St Ann Blackfriars, City of London, London
                                      George Samuel Larkin Christening (Baptism) 14 Mar 1790 St Ann Blackfriars, City of London, London
                                      Charles Larkin Baptism 18 Mar 1792 St Ann Blackfriars, City of London, London
                                      Henry Norman Larkin Baptism 22 Jun 1794 St Ann Blackfriars, City of London, London
                                      James Rodney Larkin Baptism 5 May 1799 St Andrew by the Wardrobe, City of London, London
                                      Of course these are Anglican not catholic.
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

Of course these are Anglican not catholic.
                                        I guess that this is another red herring then? and I'm guessing that James Rodney is the one with wife Sophie in the 1841 census? [I had been chasing up and marrying off William Henrys children... ] got as far as Charles William and he married a Jane Fanny BROWN!.. yea gads!
                                        Julie

Comment

• Sorry I don't know anything about religion is it possible that Ann wasn't catholic and William was? and she then converted.

Were the marriages both catholic?

there does seem to be a lot of William Henry's but not unusual names.
                                          Carolyn
                                          Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                          X