ordering certificates Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ordering certificates Australia

how do i go about getting certificate or reference numbers to order birth death etc certificates
    i realise i can just put in year and name but that is not enough sometimes
    can i search to find the reference numbers i need
    brian
    avatar is my paternal grandmother Hazel May Sheridan (Coles /// Callaghan)
    researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

There is no overall G.R.O in Australia which will provide reference numbers. BDM certs are supplied State by State . You should Google BDM (appropriate State).
    New South Wales
    Victoria
    Queensland
    South Australia
    Western Australia
    Tasmania
    Australian Capital Territory
    Northern Territory

For recent certificates, some States will provide an online search facility and option to purchase, while others provide an online form to fill in which must then be posted together with the applicable fee. The cut off date for what is deemed 'recent' versus 'historical' varies. The State registry website will explain this.

If the certificate required is deemed to be historical, the reference number is very often to be found on Ancestry's Australia BDM indexes and generally, there is a lower fee charged. Otherwise, check out the Family History section of each State's BDM website, which should direct you to the appropriate search page and also to useful links, such as WA's Reverse Marriage Index (http://www.wamarriage.info/) which was developed as an independent project by family historians here. There are similar projects developed in other States, which should be listed on the indidual websites.

Complications can arise from the fact that some States/Territories came under a different jurisdiction according to date e.g. some of Queensland's records were originally considered to be part of NSW, while the N.T was at one time part of South Australia. Western Australia has always

Beverley

Comment

I've deleted the duplicates, I hope I kept the correct one!
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Caroline
        Thank you, if you mean my post i did have trouble posting but when i finished i only saw one post .
        macbev i will try your suggestions
        when i go to NSW registery i can put in date and name but there is also the option for a reference number (if not supplied it may cost more) and that is what i am trying to locate before i order.
        Is Ancestery BDM index part of a subscription or is it free
        Brian
        researching Coles/Sheridan from Broken Hill Callaghan from Sydney P.J O'Flynn M.J Campbell from County Clare plus others as they pop up

Comment

Nsw bmd's are searchable online at the state website, and can be ordered via the index. Unless the record you need is considered private? You can't download nsw bmd's like you can from vic and qsld. They will email or post the certificate, depending which option you choose when you order.

your local library should have an ancestry.com.au subscription.

Comment

Originally posted by 2weis View Post
            Caroline
            Thank you, if you mean my post i did have trouble posting but when i finished i only saw one post .
            macbev i will try your suggestions
            when i go to NSW registery i can put in date and name but there is also the option for a reference number (if not supplied it may cost more) and that is what i am trying to locate before i order.
            Is Ancestery BDM index part of a subscription or is it free
            Brian
            I've just tried out the NSW Family History Search for the death of one of my known family connections, just using name and a guess at the d.o.d. Only one result (which was the correct one) but the search also provided the registration number/year of registration, which is what you require when ordering the cert. Unless your search is for a recent, private event, perhaps you could supply the forum with the details and we can look on your behalf

Beverley

Comment

Macbev
              that is a good suggestion. as i have quite a few i might post them in batches and see how i go
              Thanking You
              Brian

Comment

Working...
              X