search for address in 1851 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• search for address in 1851 census

I have William Balderson born c1821 in Lincolnshire, married to Rebecca Balderson (was a Balderson at marriage). 24/02/1846 at St Botolph, Aldersgate.
    I have their marriage record, in this the address is given as 18 Shaftsbury Place, Aldersgate, London.

I have them on the 1861 census and he is listed in the 1855 electoral register for London.
    On both of these, they lived at 76 Long Lane, in the parish of St Bartholomew The Great
    But I cannot find them on the 1851 census at all. When he married his occupation was a carpenter, but by the 1861 census, he was a pork butcher.
    The children I would expect to see with them are:
    William Balderson age 3
    Maria Balderson born that year

Can anyone help, as it is a missing piece in the family jigsaw?

Thanks

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Looking at the baptisms, William was baptised June 11th 1848 address is 76 Long Lane occ pork butcher but I can't see them 1851
    Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
      Looking at the baptisms, William was baptised June 11th 1848 address is 76 Long Lane occ pork butcher but I can't see them 1851
      Hi Elain,
      That is the baptism of their 2nd child.
      They had 7 children in all, with most of them living at 76 Long Street (down the road from Smithfield meat market).
      The other children, I have census/baptisms etc for who should be with them are:
      Mary Ann, born 1847 (died 1860)
      Matthew, born 1849 (died 1854)
      Maria born 1st Qtr of 1851
      it is the 1851 census that is the only piece I have missing, as I have all baptisms etc.

William died 1866 and is buried in grounds of the old Victoria Park cemetery and Rebecca remarried to Arthur Hayward 19 Feb 1868

Researching:
      FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

wonder if this could be him a prisoner

W
        B
        Prisoner
        Married
        Male
        Carpenter
        Not Known
        U K
        -
        -
        -
        -
        Islington
        Finsbury
        London, Middlesex
        -
        Finsbury
        Finsbury
        Islington
        HO107
        1851 England, Wales & Scotland Census

Comment

That area isn't known to be missing in the census?

Comment

This is the 1851 census for 76 Long Lane but although not your William, funnily enough, there is a William Lamb - butcher - from Lincolnshire as a lodger.
            https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...1526_1526-0016

Will keep looking.
            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

this seems to be Long Lane, no house numbers though only schedule numbers.

The description says from no 92 Long Lane - which to my mind implies and higher numbers?

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...1526_1526-0002

Middlesex --> St Bartholomew the Great --> 1a
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

As a last resort searching just for Rebecca and Matthew & no surname doesn't bring anything up.
                There are no Middlesex pieces missing from the 1851 census.

Carolyn - I have posted the image for Long Lane above.
                Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                  As a last resort searching just for Rebecca and Matthew & no surname doesn't bring anything up.
                  There are no Middlesex pieces missing from the 1851 census.

Carolyn - I have posted the image for Long Lane above.
                  Sorry I hadn't refreshed screen before posting. How have you worked that out to be the house number? I can only see schedule number they are not normally the same.

Can't see it on FMP either.

There should be 4 children and parents - so quite a few names to find then
                  William, born 1848
                  Mary Ann, born 1847 (died 1860)
                  Matthew, born 1849 (died 1854)
                  Maria born 1st Qtr of 1851
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Are these the children as visitors 1851 :
                    Name Age
                    Henry Hellman 51
                    Mary Hellman 50
                    Mary Ann A 16
                    Mary Ann Balderta 4
                    William Balderta 2
                    Mathew Balderta 1

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...xoCvdEQAvD_BwE
                    Kat

Comment

I have found the 'Chance' family on 1861 census at 69 and they are on the 1851 at schedule 69 so numbers are the house numbers.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

Name Age
                        Henry Hellman 51
                        Mary Hellman 50
                        Mary Ann A 16
                        Mary Ann Balderta 4
                        William Balderta 2
                        Mathew Balderta 1

Looks good - wonder who they are, maybe Trevor recognises name of head
                        parents and William elsewhere

Interesting that 4 of the children were baptised in 54, maybe there was some kind of crisis.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

Caroline "I have found the 'Chance' family on 1861 census at 69 and they are on 1851 at schedule 69 so numbers are the house numbers."

Yes, I thought it odd. The enumerator didn't divide the houses up with // or / to indicate the separate households either. ​
                          Kat

Comment

Name Age
                            Henry Hellman 51
                            Mary Hellman 50
                            Mary Ann A 16
                            Mary Ann Balderta 4
                            William Balderta 2
                            Mathew Balderta 1

This really does look like the children, or a really strange coincidence on names and DoBs.
                            I have no idea of who the Hellmans are (if that is the correct name, as the writing is difficult to read), and have no known family connections in the Hampstead area around that time. Maybe Mary (the wife) was related to Rebecca Balderson, as she was from the same area as Rebecca..
                            Can anyone make out the occupation of Mr Hellman?
                            Maybe the prisoner W.B that Val found is the father, if so, where was Rebecca?

More confusion as Katarzyna has found that a ‘LAMB’ lived there in 1851, because the baptism for Mary Ann in 1848 has them living at 76 Long Lane, with William being a Pork Butcher. and I found the 1855 electoral register still had William there.

This section of the tree (my maternal 3x Gt grandparents), is a real puzzle, with cousins marrying, use of names and their coming from the same areas and there is real confusion on the later marriage of Rebecca when you look deeper into the census', etc. but that's another avenue I'm still working on

Thanks for the work you have all put in for me

Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorFranklin View Post

Can anyone make out the occupation of Mr Hellman?
                              He's a Tallow Chandler.

Comment

Clearly I was tired last night as it is mother and Maria 19 Feb 1951 that are missing. Along with father.
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

Well, they are most definitely there from 1849 onwards, as I have found William, as a tenant of a property owned by Mrs L M Deighton , listed on the London land tax records for 1847 - 1850 and 1851 on Ancestry, with a later ones right up to 1866.
                                  I would assume that the 'LAMB' as a lodger on the 1851 census, is a lodger in the property that William rented (as Lamb is from the same location and a butcher?)
                                  What I have found out is that William Balderson got his freedom of the city administration document as a pork butcher in 1856, with the address being 76 Long Lane. His father is William (A carpenter)

So William Balderson, born 1823 in Lincolnshire, married Rebecca Balderson (born 1821 in Newgate, City of London) in 1846 and at that time he said he was a carpenter and living at 18 Shaftbury Place (just down the road from Long Lane and now covered by the Barbican development) .
                                  Is a tenant at 76 Long Lane from at least 1847, but does not show as being there on the 1851 census.
                                  1856 he is a pork butcher and is there on 1861 with that as his occupation.

With your help, we have found children visiting someone in Hampstead, but no parents.
                                  William and Rebecca are not to be found on the 1851 census

Researching:

Comment

Do you have any of the family Of William and Rebecca - parents/siblings? Wondering if she is with them with Maria?
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

i
                                      Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                      Do you have any of the family Of William and Rebecca - parents/siblings? Wondering if she is with them with Maria?
                                      Hi Carolyn,

William's parents were William Balderson and Mary (surname unknown)
                                      I have them on the 1851 census in Sibsey in Lincolnshire. WIth them is just one of their sons Mark.
                                      William had 2 other siblings
                                      Matthew b: 1824 in Sibsey Lincolnshire. I have possible hit for him on 1841 census in Freiston Lincolnshire, but no other census after 1841.
                                      Matilda b: 1830 in Sibsey Lincolnshire. I have her on the 1851 census as a servant in Nocton Lincolnshire.

Rebecca was born Newgate, London, England and her parents were James and Mary Balderson (Mary may have been Mary PRESTON)
                                      I think I have James on the 1841 census in Marylebone London, but no Mary and I have not found on 1851 census or a definite death.
                                      I do not know if Rebecca had any siblings.

This little group are proving a real challenge to get right, I have built a number of possible, but when fully researched, all have been incorrect.
                                      I have no idea where James Balderson was born, and as the assumed marriage to Mary Preston was via banns in 1871, I have no idea of age (I have assumed born around 1790's) place of birth or his parents.

Regards
                                      Trevor

Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorFranklin View Post
                                        i

Hi Carolyn,

William's parents were William Balderson and Mary (surname unknown)
                                        I have them on the 1851 census in Sibsey in Lincolnshire. WIth them is just one of their sons Mark.
                                        William had 2 other siblings
                                        Matthew b: 1824 in Sibsey Lincolnshire. I have possible hit for him on 1841 census in Freiston Lincolnshire, but no other census after 1841.
                                        Matilda b: 1830 in Sibsey Lincolnshire. I have her on the 1851 census as a servant in Nocton Lincolnshire.

Rebecca was born Newgate, London, England and her parents were James and Mary Balderson (Mary may have been Mary PRESTON)
                                        I think I have James on the 1841 census in Marylebone London, but no Mary and I have not found on 1851 census or a definite death.
                                        I do not know if Rebecca had any siblings.

This little group are proving a real challenge to get right, I have built a number of possible, but when fully researched, all have been incorrect.
                                        I have no idea where James Balderson was born, and as the assumed marriage to Mary Preston was via banns in 1871, I have no idea of age (I have assumed born around 1790's) place of birth or his parents.

Regards
                                        Trevor
                                        He was at Long Lane for quite a while, as he is in several trade directories, i assume that you have found all of those too?

I have butchers from Lincolnshire too must have been popular at one time.

Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                        X