Navy transfer to RAF??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navy transfer to RAF??

I've found a chap who according to his service papers joined the Navy in 1910 as a boy then as WW1 was finishing was transferred to the RAF and was still there at the end of WW2. Under what circumstances would he be transferred into the RAF?

I have very similar, mine went in as a boy sailor in 1909 and transferred to the RAF in 1918. Because he wanted to, presumably!

OC

Comment

Probably joined the RNAS ( Royal Naval Air Service) which joined with the Royal Flying Corps on 1st April 1918 to become the RAF.

My grandfather was in the RNAS/RAF.
      Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
      Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

I think you requested to be transferred to the RAF, rather than being compelled to transfer. It was new, different and exciting, probably every young man's dream job. Also, for the vast majority of members, safer than being in the trenches
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

My grandfather used to tell me stories about transferring to the RAF towards the end of the war, however he was hospitalised (probably with what we now call PTSD) and was eventually demobilised. He was in the RA and was an RSM and was to be transferred as a Pilot Officer in admin.
          Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

A lot of transferring happened in WW1. It was not uncommon for the move from the navy to the RAF, or even from the army to the RAF.

My grandfather and thousands of others who passed certain criteria were transferred from an ordinary Army unit to the Machine Gun Corp ........ which was disbanded after the war, most of its records were burnt in a "mysterious" fire, and it is treated almost as a secret!.

Then don't forget the men who might be transferred into one or other of the "spy units" if they showed special expertise in some area or other.
            My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

The date of this "transfer",1918, is significant. The RAF was established on 1 April 1918 from the Navy's Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS) and the Army's Royal Flying Corps (RFC), both of which ceased to exist. Those serving in both continued their service in the RAF as explained by AntonyM above.

Comment

Working...
              X