Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newspaper subscription help

hi,
    has anyone got a newspaper subscription that covers bradford newspaper in 1897? if so could you please do me a look up for an article that has shown up as a hint on ancestry (typed up by the person who has shared it so its not the original).

the article is linked to george cousins/cousens of bradford west yorks, and is called "death of a Bradford Waggoner" From The Bradford Observer Dec 1897
    thank you
    **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Title and date covered by BNA but no results for the name or waggoner.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
      Title and date covered by BNA but no results for the name or waggoner.
      ok thank you.

Comment

All I can find so far is
        15 December 1897 - Bradford Daily Telegraph - Bradford, Yorkshire, England

Bradford Daily Telegraph 15 December 1897.jpg
        Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I've tried every key word I can think of on BNA and findmypast and the image is all I can find.

The death itself might be reported earlier but I've not got time to look right now.
          Caroline
          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Have you got a c, more precise date of the article? It's obviously before the inquest I found last evening or is that it. Or can you give a link to where you found the transcription to get more clues?

UPDATE: Forget that. I found the transcription in Stories on Ancestry.
            https://www.ancestry.co.uk/mediaui-v...=successSource
            Caroline

Comment

I can't find it even after Caroline finding the transcript

The article you found was dated 15 Dec 1897 - that was a Wednesday. Says accident was Friday last making it the 10th December.

The transcription must before 17th Dec as it refers to accident last Friday too.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

UPDATE: I have found the correct bit, using just the keyword dray, but findmypast is taking me to page 6 and there is no sign of this on that page!

15 December 1897 - Bradford Observer - Bradford, Yorkshire, England

11:21 ,: :
                Hoed. TM Mowed wee • waggoner is the earplug of Morn. Career A Co., easier% and oa! Friday lost yea is charge of • borme aed dray collecting goods. While moleavourieg to miter the et Mess. Jab. !Smith h Wee', 71111,, Preston the hone thole wrong turn, sod
                15 December 1897 - Bradford Observer - Bradford, Yorkshire, Englan

Earplug is supposed to be employ!!

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/...01&browse=true
                Last edited by Caroline; 27-02-20, 12:19. Reason: Forgot the link to the paper
                Caroline

Comment

I started going through page by page, but I will have to stop for now as it's not doing my eyes any good at all .
                  Caroline

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                    I started going through page by page, but I will have to stop for now as it's not doing my eyes any good at all .
                    Well done Caroline - Found it - page 7 - wow so small writing - how did anyone read the papers in those times - especially as you couldn't get reading glasses in Poundland
                    Bradford Observer 15 Dec 1897.JPG
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

ooh tis big - not sure if I have attached it right :( Doesn't go small like old version.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

Well done.

I'm still giggling about the earplug. I had actually found the reference to page 6 several times with various keywords but dismissed it until it kept coming up.
                        Caroline

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                          Well done.

I'm still giggling about the earplug. I had actually found the reference to page 6 several times with various keywords but dismissed it until it kept coming up.
                          I just LOVE some of the misrepresentations that come up as a result of newspaper searches! Earplugs is an especially humorous one.

Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Was really funny - hardly anyword was correct

That is the biggest problem with the Newspapers, when I used to use BNA in the library I always corrected the keywords on the ones I found, shame you can't do that on FMP.
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

thank you everyone for your help, much appreciated. earplug is funny

Comment

Working...
                              X