Mass Baptism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mass Baptism

I know that a number of families would save up their children and do a communal baptism for them all, but I have just come across an incidence in Heanor in 1825 where on one day (24th May) 123 people were baptised, with dob from 1808 onwards. What would have led to this? The Vicar had been around since 1821, so not a new broom. He did a few more days where higher than normal numbers were done (they averaged 8 per month then) and it looks that he was caught up by August that year. I wonder what he said to the congregation to galvanise them all that day!
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Either the people of Heanor were very lax when it came to baptising their children, or they did it more than once - In 1837, just prior to civil registration, the Vicar was at it again - 271 baptisms on 28 June, and he must have run out of time as he then did over 80 on 29th Jun and a further 80 on 30th June. This from a place that had less than 5,000 inhabitants in 1829.
    Linda

Comment

Trawden Methodist chapel in Lancs has huge batches of adults and older children in June 1837 - probably a misunderstanding about registrations of births, conveniently for me my 54 year old 4x great grandmother Mary Bannister was one of these and is gives her parents and maternal grandparents' names, she also took along two of her adult sons. No idea why 1825 should produce so many though, unless there had been a big drive of evangelism.

Comment

Annoyingly though the person I am looking for is not there. :smile:
        Linda

Comment

Is this the parish church or one of the methodist/ congregational church. I have loads in Ilkeston the next place to Heanor and they are baptised in batches because they only seem to do the circuit every few months and I think the parents decided to change demonination.
          Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

It's the parish church.
            Linda

Comment

Working...
            X