Can anyone find Elijah Finch, please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone find Elijah Finch, please?

I can't access my Finch family tome at the moment, but all I seem to have for Elijah Finch at present is the following:
    Son of Bartholomew & Susan,baptised on 27 July 1838 in Horningtoft, Norfolk. In the parental home at Horningtoft in 1841 & 1851
    He married Susan BRIDGER on 21 October 1859 in Horningtoft. I can't recall any further facts - not sure whether or not I ever found out any more about him.

Jay

Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

A quick glance
    he is on the census in 1861 with wife Susan living in Horningtoft.
    Can't see either of them in 1871
    1881 & 1891 I think this must be Susan in Fakenham as a widow
    In ancestry there are a number of people that have Eliza Finch death as his in 1864 - but can see that this is wrong as this person was age 71.

Have looked at GRO for a death and not found one yet.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thank you Carolyn, I 've unearthed them now in 1861 in Horningtoft and have saved the image. I think I never did find a death for him when I searched before. I'll go now and check Fakenham for Susan. Thanks for your help.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

In case it helps I have an Elijah who is transcribed as Eliza on more than one occasion. (think of an old script style z)
        Anne

Comment

Thank you for your input, Anne. Carolyn, the Fakenham census returns you pointed out look good. No 1871 sighting of Sarah (Mrs Elijah) as yet though.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I've found Susan 1871
            Colkirk Road, Horningtoft, Mitford on her own

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
            http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
              I've found Susan 1871
              Colkirk Road, Horningtoft, Mitford on her own

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

doesn't say widowed....
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thank you Elaine and Caroline. Horningtoft was Elijah's birthplace and where he and Susan were in 1861. She does claim that she is married so I wonder if Elijah was working away from home in 1871??? On the 1881 Fakenham return, it's difficult to know the marital status as it looks like a plain W. It is the only one like it on that page, which includes one entry of widow and four unm, so inconclusive. She is declared as widow on the 1891 return. I think she probably died at Fakenham in 1898, although the age is out a bit as she was recorded as 74. But as we know, age at death is often unreliable, especially if the informant is a non-relative.

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                X