School for the Blind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School for the Blind?

1861 on Ancestry has a female M C born 1852 in Middlesex.

Could someone check the address, to see whether she is a pupil in a school for the blind?

She has been found on later censuses, but not as a child and I think this might be her, as she was known to be blind, so was probably brought up in an institution.

Many thanks!
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Do you have year and place of birth, and/or census district - there are quite a few with the initials M C
    Elaine

Comment

Phoenix

Is it the one at the Commercial Traveller's School? No, forget that, it can't be....no one is blind!

OC

Comment

There's just one female MC b 1852 who is a pupil in Middlesex, Elaine.
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Sorry - I wasn't putting the year of birth in the search!

The MC born 1852, London, Middx, pupil - is at Commercial Travellers School, Harrow. None listed as blind.
          Elaine

Comment

Rats, OC, that probably is the one. Thank you & Elaine for looking.
            The trouble with blindness, is that you cannot tell whether it is from birth.
            I'm looking for Mary Ann Cotmore, born March 1851 per freebmd. She and a friend supported themselves with fancy knitting (and goodness knows how they managed if they both were blind!) but she hasn't been been positively located earlier than 1871.

Comment

I work with disabled people with various disabilities and we have a number of visually impaired people. You would be amazed what they can do.
              Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Why not learn British Sign Language: BritishSignLanguage.com; An Online Guide to British Sign Language

Comment

I should think this is her in 1851:

HO107; Piece: 1528; Folio: 121; Page: 18

Comment

In 1861 I am just making a note about this family at St Anne's Blackfriars:

RG9; Piece: 220; Folio: 43; Page: 1

The trouble is the second dau, Susan, should be Samuel according to FreeBMD!! So they are probably completely different people, but I don't have time to disprove them!

Comment

Merry, that is brilliant! Catmore, eh? This will make someone very happy!

Comment

Just to say that husband had a blind gt gt uncle, born 1852. He went to a school for the indigent blind in Southwark. He made baskets for a living and his wife, who was also blind and attended the same school, wove chair bottoms.
                      1901 census says "Blind" in the disability column for Richard, but not for Emma, though presumably she still was.
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                      X