Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help i'm new

hi - I'm new to the forum - so hope i'm in the right bit

I'm trying to trace the Congreve family and am just wondering in the late 1890 early 1900 when registering the birth of a child - would the parents have to state their proper names or could they drop their first and u

sorry.... i'll try make it clearer
    my grandad birth cert says his father is Frederick Wilson Congreve and his mother is Mildred Croft

But Jacob Wilson Congreve married Mildred Croft according to the marraige cert.

and to confuse things more - my grandads brother his cert - states mother as Mildred but father as Wilson Congreve

so i'm completely lost -:o

HI

And Welcom to the forum.

I take it this is the family in the 1891 census living at Fishtoft, Lincs

Wilson Congreve 24 bn Wrangle, Lincs Occ Wheelwright and Coachbuilder
    Mildred Congreve 23 bn Croydon Kent
    Wilson Congreve 4 bn Butterwick Lincs
    Frederick Congreve 2 bn Fishtoft Lincs
    WendyP

Comment

Beat me to it Wendy, good that I refreshed the page
      Christine in Portugal

Comment

HI again

The in the 1901 census in Wordsworth Rd Leicestershire

Charles Congreve 36 bn Wrangle Occ Coach Builder
        Millie Cngreve 31 bn Croydon Surrey
        Frederick Congreve 10 bn Fishtoft, Lincoln
        Hilda Congreve 8 bn """"""""""
        Henry Congreve 5 bn Louth Lincoln
        Arthur Congreve 1 bn Leicester

So if it is the right family I can certainly see him changing his name in the census at least.

I noticed the older brother also called Jacob Wilson Congreve died in 1896 - how sad.
        WendyP

Comment

Hi and welcome.

First of all, who was the informant on the birth certificates? If it was the mother, then perhaps she wasn't quite sure of her husband's real name because he wasn't known by it? As the parents were married, they wouldn't both have needed to go to register their children's births, only one of them would have to go.

Secondly, it is fairly common to find that a parent's name is wrong on a birth certificate. It certainly seems likely that you have found the right marriage cert, and it is more likely that their correct names are given on that one, but if you are looking for Wilson's birth, I would try all possible versions of his name.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi

Welcome to the site, you'll find your way around in no time.

Just to put your mind at rest, I have one just like it

Sophia White married Walter Rogers - her marriage cert lists her father as Walter White.
            Her birth certificate lists her father as Charles Walter White,

He was known to all as Walter, but was actually Charles

They do like to confuse us don't they.
            Vikki -
            Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

hi and welcome but i will leave the research to our exsperts,nice to see you asking brenda xxx

Comment

Welcome. I wonder if he actually had three or four christian names and permed any two out of three.
                Anne

Comment

There is a birth for Jacob W Congreve in 1866 register Boston which seems the right for the father of this family. Found on Freebmd

Comment

There is a Frederick Congreve born 1870 registered Boston. Could be a younger brother.

Comment

There is a Jacob Congreve marrying a Maria Wilson in 1865 Boston, so perhaps Wilson is from that?

Kim

Comment

This could possibly link in with the marriage on the previous post

Taken from the IGI - extracted record
                        JACOB WILSON CONGREVE
                        Christened 21 Dec 1866, Wranlge, Lincoln
                        Parents Jacob Congreve and Maria
                        Elaine

Comment

Jacob and Maria are on ancestry under Congrave in 1881 census and Congrove in 1891census .

Kim

Comment

Hallo and welcome!

The golden rule in family history is that hardly anything is accurate!
                            My husband's Jewish gt gt grandfather was called Zusman (which got mangled to every permutation you could think of). On his birth cert, his father was called Zalig and on his marriage cert Solomon. Although I was certain I had the right chap, this baffled me until I found the death cert for Solomon Zalig Hart.

Your Mr Congreve may have been known by more than one name, or recorded wrongly in error either because the informant made a mistake or the registrar did.

Just be glad you have surname Congreve and not Smith!
                            ~ with love from Little Nell~
                            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                            X