Olive Watkins b1907 Garston ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olive Watkins b1907 Garston ?

Hi good morning...I am concentrating on my wifes grandmother today..the info I have is only from my wifes memory so may not be right at all.
    We know Olive Watkins was born in April 1907...we know she was registered West Derby(Garstons area register office) I have been on freebmd and Olive Watkins 1907 is there ,but on Lancsbmd its not...the problem is on Lancs bmd it will also say Wavertree St Michaels if she was born in Garston..
    this is only from my wifes memory and the birth years are only approxiamate.these are the bros/sisters of Olive that my wife THINKS she had.
    Alice 1885
    margaret 1890
    Lillie 1893
    Annie 1894
    William 1899
    Thomas 1900
    Leonard 1905
    Olive 1907
    Jane 1908
    we think the parents were Thomas Watkins b 1863 Ludlow ???
    and May ???? 1866
    I have not done a lot of research on my wifes family..her father was from Rogatyn,Ukraine so it has been difficult....It seems a big task this ,so any help will be appreciated...cheers...allan;)
    Last edited by garstonite; 06-02-09, 10:54.
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

There is a family on the 1911 census which is probably yours - living in West Derby registration district

Thomas c1864
    Mary Jane c1867
    Margret c1891
    Annie c1895
    William c1899
    Thomas c1901
    Leonard c1906
    Olive c1908
    Mary Jane c1911
    Elaine

Comment

1901 census RG13; Piece: 3507; Folio: 66; Page: 21

household
      Thomas Watkins 38 occ. dock labourer
      May Watkins 35
      Alice Watkins 16
      Margaret Watkins 11
      Lillie Watkins 8
      Annie Watkins 7
      William Watkins 2 - born Garston Lancs
      Thomas Watkins 11 months - born Garston
      William Mee 22 (boarder)

address 17 Saltworks Cottage, Garston.

- I think this is probably the right familty. William and Thomas were born in Garston - the rest of the family born Ludlow Shropshire.
      Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 05-02-09, 08:53.
      Elaine

Comment

Possible 1891 census RG12; Piece: 2081; Folio 64; Page 25

Household
        Thomas Watkins 27 - occ gen. labourer
        Mary J Watkins 24
        Margaret Watkins 6/12

all born Ludlow, Shropshire
        address 4 Waterside, Ludlow

No Alice listed with this family.
        Elaine

Comment

thanks very much Elaine....Ann (my wife) was very close to her Nan Olive ..she lived with her for a while as a teenager... what do you think about May in 1901 census b abt 1866...and Mary Jane in 1911 census b abt 1867...do you think this is the same Woman ???...ie May being a nickname ???...if so I`ll go to freebmd and look for a marriage of Thomas Watkins to Mary jane ??...also...does it say that Thomas AND Mary Jane were born in Ludlow??
          for the record,Garston had a massive copper works and around 1900 they all went on strike...they lived in houses provided by the copper works...because they went on strike the owners had EVERY fanily removed from their houses and they brought in dozens of families from Ludlow as they knew about working copper...these were and still are known as the `Ludlow Scabs`of Garston...allan;);)
          ADDED..sorry Elaine..I`m a very slow typist...lol...thats great news ...must find out about Alice...cheers...allan
          Last edited by garstonite; 05-02-09, 09:07.
          Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

From what I can tell from the 1911 census - doing searches without viewing transcriptions or images - Mary Jane states she was born in Ludlow c 1867.

I have checked the image of the 1901 census and it looks like Mary to me so I think it was probably mistranscribed as May.

1891 that I found is definitely Mary J

... so think it is the same wife all the way through.
            Elaine

Comment

Thomas and Mary Jane both born Ludlow, Shropshire.
              Elaine

Comment

The best match for Thomas Watkins in 1881 is this one
                RG11; Piece: 2615; Folio: 94; Page: 3;

Thomas Watkins c1844 Stoke, Hereford - occ gas stoker
                Elizabeth Watkins c1845 Holt, Worcestershire - dressmaker
                Thomas Watkins c1864 Ludlow, Shropshire - baker journeyman
                John Watkins c 1867 Ludlow, Shropshire - errand boy
                Henry Watkins c 1870 Ludlow, Shropshire

address Old Gate Tree ? Ludlow

When you get the MC for Thomas & Mary Jane you should be able to confirm whether or not this is the right family!
                Elaine

Comment

thanks very much Elaine..you`re a gem...I`ve just been on freebmd but there`s no sign of thomas`s marriage or his birth...I`ll try shropshire bmd now...cheers...allan;)
                  well I can`t find a marriage for Thomas and Elizabeth abt 1862 or a marriage for Thomas and Mary Jane abt 1884....but I am delighted with the info you have found Elaine///thankyou very much,its appreciated...allan
                  Last edited by garstonite; 05-02-09, 09:56.

Comment

I think I have an update on Mary Jane b 1867...my daughter seems to think that one of her aunties told her Mary Janes maiden name was HUSK..i am going to see if I can find their marriage...any help would be appreciated...cheers...allan;)

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                      The best match for Thomas Watkins in 1881 is this one
                      RG11; Piece: 2615; Folio: 94; Page: 3;

Thomas Watkins c1844 Stoke, Hereford - occ gas stoker
                      Elizabeth Watkins c1845 Holt, Worcestershire - dressmaker
                      Thomas Watkins c1864 Ludlow, Shropshire - baker journeyman
                      John Watkins c 1867 Ludlow, Shropshire - errand boy
                      Henry Watkins c 1870 Ludlow, Shropshire

address Old Gate Tree ? Ludlow

When you get the MC for Thomas & Mary Jane you should be able to confirm whether or not this is the right family!
                      would it be possible to find this family in 1891 to see if there are any sisters/bros added to Thomas`s siblings please...cheers..allan

Comment

Allan, Elaine mentioned that Alice Watkins (b abt 1885) was missing from the 1891 census for the Watkins family. There is an Alice Husk aged 6 living with grandparents in 1891 b Ludlow Shropshire, so it looks as if Thomas may have married Mary J Husk, after Alice was born (though I can't see a marriage!!!)

Comment

1871 doesn't show any other siblings
                          Household
                          Thomas Watkins 27
                          Elizabeth Watkins 26
                          Thomas Watkins 7
                          John Watkins 4
                          Henry Matkins 1 (mistranscribed as Matkins)

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 2725; Folio: 114; Page: 2;

- still looking for 1891!
                          Elaine

Comment

Actually Alice Husk is living with her Great-Grandparents in 1891!!

When I looked at the 1871 I found Mary Jane Husk living with the same couple (John and Jane Husk) and they are her grandparents - not sure who her parents (or mum!) is as all the other adults in the house are unmarried! So maybe Mary Jane was either the child of a son of John and Jane who isn't at home or she was the illegitimate dau of one of John and Jane's daughters.

RG10; Piece: 2725; Folio: 103; Page: 24

Maybe the 1881 will tell me?

Comment

They should be somewhere in 1891 because I can see them in 1901

Thomas Watkins 57
                              Elizabeth Watkins 56

RG13; Piece: 2504; Folio: 95; Page: 19.
                              Elaine

Comment

Mary Jane is still with her grandparents in 1881 so I'm none the wiser!

Comment

I think this is probably them in 1891

Thomas Watkins c1845 Bodenham, Herefordshire
                                  Elizabeth Watkins c 1849 Worcestershire
                                  Alice Watkins c 1882 Ludlow, Shropshire - daughter
                                  RG12; Piece: 2081; Folio 74; Page 14
                                  Elaine

Comment

thank you very much girls...I actually thought my daughter had got the name wrong,but it looks as though she was right....have to go out now...thanks...I`ll be back later....cheers...allan

Comment

Originally posted by garstonite View Post
                                      Hi good morning...I am concentrating on my wifes grandmother today..the info I have is only from my wifes memory so may not be right at all.
                                      We know Olive Watkins was born in April 1907...we know she was registered West Derby(Garstons area register office) I have been on freebmd and Olive Watkins 1907 is there ,but on Lancsbmd its not...the problem is on Lancs bmd it will also say Wavertree St Michaels if she was born in Garston..
                                      this is only from my wifes memory and the birth years are only approxiamate.these are the bros/sisters of Olive that my wife THINKS she had.
                                      Alice 1885
                                      margaret 1890
                                      Lillie 1893
                                      Annie 1894
                                      William 1899
                                      Thomas 1900
                                      Leonard 1905
                                      Olive 1907
                                      Jane 1908
                                      we think the parents were Thomas Watkins b 1863 Ludlow ???
                                      and May ???? 1866
                                      I have not done a lot of research on my wifes family..her father was from Rogatyn,Ukraine so it has been difficult....It seems a big task this ,so any help will be appreciated...cheers...allan;)
                                      Are these watkin/watkins related to the burletons?

Comment

No Karen - my wifes family from Ludlow xx

Comment

Working...
                                        X