398348 names in the database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh okay.

I wondered why quite a few were left out.

I shall put abt then. I sort of know but I like to confirm and be sure I'm so fussy. I feel if I put abt .... then later on I tend to not worry about them rather than if I put nothing it prompts me to do something about it.

Comment

Originally posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
      Glen

I see you have a William Cook born Beetley, Norfolk in 1788 I have a William Cook born Beetley, Norfolk 1789.

I know there seems to be a few Cook familys in Beetley at the time.

Mine was born to Robert Cook and Elizabeth Webster, Elizabeth being Robert's second wife his first was called Ann.

Edit to say: Yep I updated but it only managed to put in 2 more for me because I don't put birth dates in unless I can confirm the birth/ baptism perhaps I should put abt .... would the database pick the people up then?
      Yes it would pick them up, i have a few that i don't know the exact baptism or birth date but they are obviously more than 100 years ago and make an educated guess at the yob based on either a marriage date, dates of their childrens birth or a burial reference for example.

Re William at Beetley, assorted dates and info have been gleaned from freereg

William bapt Apr 1788, son of Simon Cook (abt 1760) and Rose Groom (abt 1762)

Additional children noted to them (all Beetley) are

Thomas Cook 1791
      Mary Cook 1796
      Jane Cook 1799

Jane went on to marry John Curson at Beetely in 1820. The Curson link is my direct line though this particular John is from a first marriage and i descend from the second.

Simon and Rose are both buried at Beetely, transcribed records on freereg give their ages so the yob given above is estimated from the burial records.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

ah ah the other Cook family from Beetley, Simon and Rose.

Mines the other one, but I expect they're related in some way being such a small place. Haven't gone to far on that bit at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
          ah ah the other Cook family from Beetley, Simon and Rose.

Mines the other one, but I expect they're related in some way being such a small place. Haven't gone to far on that bit at the moment.
          Same here, although i didn't really look at them in great depth, i have a similiar thing with the Elmer family in North Elmham, at least two families have the surname plus an older chap with the surname, can i say for sure whether they are linked or not? Not yet but at some point the truth will out :D

It's nice to see the database linking names together though, even if (for now at least) the names don't seem to connect it's fair to say we have covered common ground and that could be very useful in time.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I've tried again with my main surnames - not a glimmer of a match.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

UJ

Me neither.

On other sites I only ever seem to get matches with the names that my names married.
              The people researching them can't seem to understand that I am not interested in their family before they married my ancestor. When I say they are of no connection I invariably get told that of course they are. I have to then explain that only the descendants of that particular marriage are a connection to me.

I have rarely found anything useful in other peoples research. Perhaps I have been doing it too long.

Comment

I have just uploaded mine and I hadn't realised it was so long since I'd done it. I have added 367 names!

Total number of individuals in database: 419486
                Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

You need to remove anything that isn't needed. Notes, marriages etc. All you need is born or baptised and death or burial and the places of course.

When you export the gedcom from your computer, re-import it to a new file and then use the "facts to import" bit. Don't import the bits you don't need. Call it something new that you will recognise and then export a new gedcom from that. It is that stripped down gedcom that you import to this site.
                  [/QUOTE]

I didn't know that, I just exported a gedcom from FTM and uploaded that. It has notes and all sorts in it. Will it matter? Should I do the above and try again? :o :o

EDIT:
                  I have just tried what you said above and exported my tree to a gedcom. Then I went back to FTM and opened the tree (could not find a facility to 'import'). I clicked on facts to import but it would not let me select anything. I then viewed a genealogy report and all the notes are still there.
                  What am I doing wrong please?
                  Last edited by Granny Lynne; 07-02-09, 16:25.
                  Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

No Lynne - it's fine the way you have done it.

It is only if you have a large size file which will not upload that we recommended you trim it down to the bare facts by removing notes, marriages etc.
                    Elaine

Comment

It might sound ironic seeing as i often post about the number of names in the database but i think that our database has one feature that sidesteps the "more is better" mentality that sometimes prevails on a site that can host and display a tree as a "tree".

Once the initial urge to add name after name to a tree starts to fade the local history and meat on the bones type of research starts to emerge, by searching our database not only do name connections appear but so to do place connections, quite timely demonstrated by the little exchange between myself and Maggie above.

Whilst the Cook surname isn't hugely pivotal in my tree (it is a marriage into a direct line surname but not quite to a direct ancestor) there may be a time when something Maggie or myself discover about the place opens up new avenues or common ground. Somewhere the families within the small towns and villages cross paths and what might not be important to Maggie might be just what i need for a breakthrough.

The database is different things to different people and it can be used in more than one way, it won't help everyone to a connection via a name but the search by place aspect could be just as important an oppurtunity in some cases.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Thanks for that information Elaine, it's just as well, as you can see from my edit above.
                        Lynne

Comment

Originally posted by Granny Lynne View Post

EDIT:
                          I have just tried what you said above and exported my tree to a gedcom. Then I went back to FTM and opened the tree (could not find a facility to 'import'). I clicked on facts to import but it would not let me select anything. I then viewed a genealogy report and all the notes are still there.
                          What am I doing wrong please?

If you have uploaded it thats fine Lynne but in the future when you upload it what you need to do is DESELECT the ones you don't want. for example click on notes and underneath it says Don't import. Click on that . then deselect everything else except Names, Births, baptisms, deaths and burials.

Last edited by Katarzyna; 07-02-09, 17:31.
                          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

And the easiest way to import a gedcom file is to hover the pointer over the gedcom icon then right click, select open from the dropdown menu.

Alternatively hit file>new and click on the file you want to import from the desktop/folder location.

You can then use the facts to import as shown above and also the individuals to include too if needed. Using the individuals option is belt and braces and can be used to make sure that no living rellies are included in the exported file.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I'm trying to find family for a cousin on my Dads side. She knows nothing of her Mums family & I got quite excited when I found a match for her gt Grandfather but the connection is too far removed to be of any help, butter.
                              At least I have found a connection if only very tenuously, just wish I could find one for me.
                              Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

420,354 - that's an increase of 22,000 names since Glen started the thread.

Comment

I have all of my aunt's (father's brother's wife) ancestors in my tree, from when I did a tree for her 90th. birthday. It's odd how some of them came from the same villages as some of my ancestors. I like to keep all my people ine one tree, then I won't lose any of them. Well I am related to her children, after all!
                                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                                    With an updated GEDCOM or two added then we should be able to make the magic 400,000 names in our own little(?) FTF database.

If you haven't seen it before you can search the database and upload your own file via the following link.

Upload Your Gedcom
                                    When I tried to upload my Gedcom file I got a message to say it was too big. It would only upload the file I had of direct ancestors.

Comment

I'm trying (yet again!) to upload my tree from PAF.

I have followed the instructions and have exported the file. It told me how many people and marriages.

Where do I now find the exported file? :o It's not in the PAF menu, so where will the GEDCOM appear?
                                      Elizabeth
                                      Research Interests:
                                      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                                      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I don't use PAF Elizabeth but have you looked in "My Documants" or whatever on you computer? When I create a Gedcom from FTM it goes there and then you import onto FTF from there. I'm sure Glen or or someone else can explain it better than me:o
                                        Sue

Comment

• When you exported the file, it asked you where to put it

Do the export procedure again, and see which folder shows up, or search for it in mydocuments. The file will have whatever name you gave it, with the extension .ged.

Comment

Working...
                                          X