Need some advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice please

None of these names are real so I hope you can make some sense of it.

Fred Bumble married Mary Bee in 1897
    they had a daughter Mary Bumble born in 1899

Mary Bumble (Bee) died in 1904 of TB, I have certs.

in 1918 Charles Bumble was born father Fred mother Mary Bee
    in 1920 Doris Bumble was born father Fred mother Mary Bee

Fred Bumble the elder met a woman and lived with her, they had 4 children.

The puzzle is that the children thought they were siblings nobody told them that they were half brothers and sisters, the elder two thought that the woman their father was living with was their mother.

I have only recently uncovered all of this from birth certificates of Charles Bumble and Doris Bumble.

I would like some opinions, however delicate, I have my own but would like to see what other people think.

I will be off line for about an hour so I am not ignoring any replies.

I hope this all makes sense.

Barbara

I'm confused!!

I'm not sure what you want opinions on?

Are you saying Fred and Mary had three children, one in 1899 who died and then two more in 1918 and 1920?? Seems unlikely, if there were no others in between.

Then he left Mary, taking her children with him, and those children were brought up by his new "partner", along with four more children they had together??

Comment

im confused......are these people genuine?im sorry if they are but when i read this i couldnt believe when i saw the names,and the complicated twist.im.... confused.glad im not researching this family.brenda xxx

Comment

Originally posted by frostbarter View Post
        None of these names are real
        Bren!!!!

Comment

This is just my opinion but if the elder children are still living I would not tell them. They would be very upset to find their 'mother' was not their mother.The younger ones might feel upset about the secret.
          If it's grandchildren you will be able to judge whether or not they will be upset. In my family I know my father would be devastated - my hubbie wouldn't care...

I can see it could cause problems if it's your family tree and you want to share it. You know your family best so go with your instincts.

Wishing you well with your decision
          Twiz

Comment

Ah, opinions on what to do with the info......

I'd say it depends on who you want to tell and how they are connected to the people you have told us about.

Comment

Oh blimey, I wonder if you are talking about a family I know, lol! (No, you aren't the dates are wrong)

My friend was very puzzled, when clearing out her late mother's things, to find TWO marriage certs for her parents, two years apart. She asked her elderly father for an explanation but he was so distressed, she didn't pursue the matter until after he had died.

Then she asked the friendly local Registrar to investigate. He too was baffled for a while - the details were identical on both certs and both certs were registered properly and separately.

The answer, when it came, was a terrible shock to my friend. Her mother (Mary May X...) was a twin to May Mary X....

Mary had died while my friend was a baby and her father had remarried to the twin sister. HER family knew and never mentioned it, his family didn't know and never noticed the difference...

She was in her 60s when she discovered this and it was a terrible shock, not the least of which were the stupid and unnecessary lies she had been told.

OC

Comment

OC

If that was in a plot of a novel or on a soap opera, people would say it was far fetched!
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                  Bren!!!!
                  oh merry i didnt read the top line,i havent been sleeping and been put on tablets sorry didnt mean to offend,was just confused SENIOR MOMENT lol brenda xxx

Comment

Thanks for your opinions.

I have used these names because there are living people involved.

What I can't work out is who is the mother of Fred b 1918 and Doris b 1920 because Mary Bumble nee Bee was dead and why did the person who was the mother use the maiden name of the dead Mrs.Bumble nee Bee.

It is rather delicate as old Fred Bumble was living with his daughter Mary Bumble b.1899 at the time. Was she the mother of the children?????

I have kept all this info to myself and there is no way I am going to tell any of the family, they are all getting quite old and I would not like to upset any of them.

What are your opinions on this sort of thing happening at the time.

Barbara

Comment

Maybe the maiden name of the mother was the same as dead Mrs Bumble. Depends how common it was and there's always the possibility they were related. I have several instances of men marrying their dead wives' sisters/cousins/nieces etc.
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Oooh, blimey, I got that wrong!!

The trouble is, if what you think happened did, you are not going to find the truth on a cert. So even if the certs suggest the new Mrs B is a cousin or something like that, you may not believe it.

Comment

I am pretty sure you can rule out incest!

Incest was, probably, just as common then as it is now. BUT, and it is a big BUT - no one would ever admit to it, to the point of putting both their names to a birth cert. The neighbours would have known if "something was going on" and it wouldn't have been long before it got to the ears of the Vicar or the police or whoever.

It was illegal and both would have gone to prison and the children would have been taken into care and adopted out.

There are several more likely possibilities:

You have the wrong death cert.

The mother is someone of the same name - a cousin etc.

The mother is someone else pretending to be the dead wife in order to make the children look legitimate.

Who registered the births of the children AFTER the official mother died?

AFTERTHOUGHT - they were the daughter's illegitimate children and her dad registered them as his own, again to make them legitimate. Not unknown - well, certainly not unknown in MY family, lol.

OC

Comment

Working...
                          X