National Archives of Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Archives of Scotland

The title of this thread should really end with a scream! I've been searching for anything to do with my Laurie ancestors and not found anything, so I tried James Burton, who was James Laurie's father in law. Now, one of the matches it comes up with is James Burton v the Magistrates of Edinburgh from 1718, which may well be my James, but every time I click on "Details" it just hangs there never loading! Grrr. And I have to go and get my daughter from school in a minute.

Does anybody know please, if I do ever get the details page to load, and if I still think it might be my ancestor, what do I do to get a copy of the document(s)?

Back later.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Is that the same as ScotlandsPeople? Because they tell you, as I recall, when you get to the image.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I'm having the same problem with the same site and its driving me to distraction :( also got to nip off and pick up from school :D
      With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

No, Christine, it isn't Scotland's People. The National Archives of Scotland is the Scottish equivalent of TNA.
        KiteRunner

Comment

Hi KiteRunner

The page does hang for a bit but you finally obtain these references:

Record: 1 of 1

RefNo Title Date
          CS271 Bill Chamber Processes, Old Series 1670-1852

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          CountryCode GB

RepCode 234

RefNo CS271/75388
          Repository National Archives of Scotland

Title James Burton v Magistrates of Edinburgh

Date 1718

AccessStatus Open

As for obtaining the information. I believe if you contact the NAS via the contact links on their webpage they can quote you a price for making and forwarding copies of the specific record. I've never done this but read of others who have.

Best wishes
          Jean

Comment

I requested, in November of last year, a copy of the informal will from the pay book of a WW1 Scottish soldier. It cost ten pounds, arrived on four sheets of A3 paper size and was very well wrapped for the journey. Hope this helps...

Comment

Thanks, Jean and Beth. So "details" doesn't really tell you much more than the index entry on the other page! I'll have to see about ordering it next week...
              KiteRunner

Comment

Just found this on their site:

We are currently experiencing performance issues with our electronic catalogues, NAS OPAC, NRAS Register and SCAN Online Catalogue, resulting in slowness of the service and occasional inability of access. We wish to inform users that we are investigating this matter and will advise on this page when the full functionality of the system has been restored. We apologise for any inconvenience.
                KiteRunner

Comment

Could someone post the link for the National Archives of Scotland, or is it in the WIKI?
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:
                  England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                  Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Well, I'm sure it is in the Wiki, but here it is anyway:
                    The National Archives of Scotland Home Page
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                      No, Christine, it isn't Scotland's People. The National Archives of Scotland is the Scottish equivalent of TNA.
                      I thought it sounded too specific to be the same, but I haven't had much occasion to do research in Scotland - just three births to what was really a Hampshire family, but carried north with the RN.

No doubt I shall find myself having a look, just in case there's something for me there... ;)

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                      X