can i be cheecky and ask for help for my cousin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can i be cheecky and ask for help for my cousin

its my new found cousin in canada,she is lookig for rellies in scotland.

jean woodburnborn 1831-41either killmarnock or london,she married thomas gilchrist in 1858.

thomas mcfee born 1819 in dundonald ayrshire scotlland.he married catherine conell (conell either one l or two, )born 1823 born same place and married 19 july 1844

many thanks brenda

Okay, to start with, the marriage between Thomas Gilchrist and Jane Woodburn is on the IGI, date 22 Jan 1858, Kilmarnoch, Ayr. It's an extracted record. If your cousin buys some credits on Scotland's People then she should be able to look at the image of the marriage entry and find out the parents' details etc.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

what is the address of scotlands people or does she google if they have google in canada lol brenda xxxsorry thankyou

Comment

Next, the IGI lists 7 children born to that couple (Gilchrist), all born Kilmarnock:

Jane 27 Feb 1859
        Mary 16 Aug 1861
        Margaret 3 Feb 1864
        John 28 Sep 1866
        Jane Richmond 23 Nov 1868
        John 5 Jun 1871
        Hugh Woodburn 4 Sep 1874

So we should be able to use ancestry to track them down on some Scottish censuses...
        KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by brenmac View Post
          what is the address of scotlands people or does she google if they have google in canada lol brenda xxxsorry thankyou
          Official government source for Scottish genealogy, census and family research - ScotlandsPeople
          KiteRunner

Comment

your so kind thankyou so much im going to invite her here and she can research to her hearts content,brenda xxx

Comment

The 1871 census shows Thomas as being age 26, so he would have been born about 1845-6, and it says he was born in Kilmarnock. It also says Jane was born in Kilmarnock and she was 33, so she would be born about 1837-8.
              KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by brenmac View Post
                your so kind thankyou so much im going to invite her here and she can research to her hearts content,brenda xxx
                Oh, great idea Brenda!
                KiteRunner

Comment

In 1881 Thomas is 46, so he would be born 1835-6 not what I said before. Sounds more likely and matches the 1891, so I should think the 1871 was a mistranscription.
                  KiteRunner

Comment

Parish: Kilmarnock; ED: 23; Line: 6; Year: 1891.
                    mum has morphed into Jeanie, but so has Daughter
                    Head Thomas is 56
                    Jess

Comment

I think that's as far as we can get with those two until your cousin has looked at the marriage entry to get their parents' details.

Now to the second couple:
                      The extracted IGI record has their names as Thomas McPhee and Cathrine Connell, marriage 19 Aug 1844 Dundonald, Ayr. It doesn't give either father's name and as it was before the start of civil registration in Scotland, the actual marriage entry probably doesn't either, but I should think it would be worth your cousin looking it up on Scotland's People anyway (it will be in the OPR Marriages) just in case there is any useful info on there. If we can find their deaths then maybe that will help...
                      KiteRunner

Comment

These are their children, all born in Dundonald, from the IGI, so we can find them on the censuses and maybe get an idea as to when Thomas and Catherine died:

Martha 28 May 1849
                        Elizabeth 19 Sep 1852
                        Thomas 27 Jun 1855
                        Mary 25 Jun 1857
                        Margaret 24 Mar 1859
                        Catherine 27 Jan 1861
                        Jane 27 Mar 1863
                        Annie 29 Aug 1865

Surname is McFee for all of them on the IGI.
                        KiteRunner

Comment

Ancestry has the family transcribed as McLee in 1861, but Thomas senior doesn't seem to be with them. It says Catherine is listed as "wife", though. She is 38 in 1861.

In 1871 Thomas and Catherine are together, and Thomas is 53 born Irvine, Ayrshire; Catherine is 49 born Irvine, Ayrshire. They are also together in 1881.

Can't see them in 1891 or 1901 unless it is Catherine on her own (Katherine in 1891) with her surname transcribed as McVie.

Anyway, if your cousin registers on Scotland's People she will be able to search for Thomas and Catherine's deaths and if she finds them then the death certs should tell her their parents' names. That is, assuming they died in Scotland?
                          KiteRunner

Comment

you have been busy thankyou so much i will give her the ftf address so watch this space lol brenda xxx

Comment

Working...
                            X