Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The winner of WDWTYA? 10th January 2008 is......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kate from Scotland View Post
    Thank you Uncle John, YOU WOULD HAVE ANY RELATIVES BY THE NAME OF hULLOCK OR pOSTLETHWAITE DOWN THERE BY ANY CHANCE?
    It would be an honour, but no, sorry I don't.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
      Unfortunately, I can't see anywhere online that has the Ulverston parish registers available for the years when James senior might have been born ......
      The best I've been able to get (for Cartmel Priory) is buying sets of microfiche of a 1903 transcription from Lancashire Parish Register Society - via Parish Chest.

Comment

Oh yes, I did see a set of Ulverston transcriptions that you can buy from Rootsweb in my googling, but what I meant was there don't seem to be any online transcriptions. Don't think we will be able to get any further back with James and Bridget unless someone can come up with the full details from their marriage and / or James's baptism, so do you have any other brick walls, Kate?
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Kite runner. all I have on the marriage is Oct 1st 1826, James Hullock married Bridget McMenomen in Backbarrow,by rites of the roman catholic church witness Elizabeth Divine and others!!
          Kate xx

Comment

Ok, Im back to about 1755 with my Postlethwaite Family from Ulverston in Cumbria. but im now at the brickwall. My 5x gt grandparents were John Postlethwaite and Margaret Dobson, they had a son Thomas born about 1780 in Ulverston Cumbria. I wonder if we can find their marriage and any more on them.
            Last edited by Kate from Scotland; 13-01-08, 15:05.
            Kate xx

Comment

Hi Kite runner. all I have on the marriage is Oct 1st 1826, James Hullock married Bridget McMenomen in Backbarrow,by rites of the roman catholic church witness Elizabeth Divine and others!!
              That date is very very close to the start of RC marriages being legal. If it falls before the start date (can't remember it off-hand) it won't be legal. I have an RC marriage from 1842, and the couple already had 2 children. I suspect they married just at the time of start of civil registration (1837) and went through the second RC ceremony with the registrar present just to make sure.

Comment

So does that mean that they possibly werent married? the marriage and childrens baptism dates were found in Old RC parish registers at the Ulverston Church records
                Last edited by Kate from Scotland; 13-01-08, 13:45.
                Kate xx

Comment

Ive posted a bit more Kiterunner, another brickwall.
                  Kate xx

Comment

Kate, do you know whether it actually says "witnesses Elizabeth Divine and others" on the actual marriage register, or is that just all that your contact told you? Perhaps the names of the other witnesses might help.

Also, I could be wrong, but McMenomen just looks to me as though it might be mistranscribed and maybe the actual name is McManaman or something? Even if it does say McMenomen on the register it might be spelt differently on her baptism, though.
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Ok, Im back to about 1755 with my Postlethwaite Family from Ulverston in Cumbria. but im now at the brickwall. My 5x gt grandparents were John Postlethwaite and Margaret Dobson, they had a son Thomas born about 1780 in Ulverston Cumbria. I wonder if we can find their marriage and any more on them.
                      Oh, that was easy! It's on the IGI - 5 Feb 1755 at Ulverston (County is Lancashire on the IGI).

There are quite a few baptisms on the IGI who may or may not be children of this particular John and Margaret:
                      John 27 Jul 1788 Kendal, Westmoreland
                      Thos. 20 Feb 1791 Kendal (born 20 Jan 1791)
                      Wm 10 Nov 1793 Kendal
                      Mary 11 Mar 1798 Kendal

John 29 Dec 1786 Broughton in Furness, Lancashire
                      Robert 30 Jun 1788 Broughton in Furness, Lancashire
                      William 20 Jan 1790 Broughton in Furness, Lancashire
                      Thomas 17 Jun 1792 Broughton in Furness

There is also another John Postlethwaite / Margaret marriage on the IGI - a Margaret "Hodgshon" (presumably variant of Hodgson) 3 Jan 1786 Millom, Cumberland. So probably one of the above sets of children belongs to that couple and the other set to your John and Margaret. Maybe someone with better knowledge of the geography up there can suggest which is which?
                      KiteRunner

Comment

This could be your John Postlethwaite in 1841, but it looks to be a fairly common name around the Ulverston area so it might be someone else altogether!:

HO107 Piece 531 Book 6 Civil Parish Ulverstone County Lancashire Enumeration District 2 Folio 3 Page 2

Lancashire - Ulverstone
                        Mansriggs
                        John Postlethwaite 85(?) Independent Yes
                        Wm Postlethwaite ?? Do Yes
                        plus some servants. Sorry, but the image is very faint and hard to make out.

Mansriggs is a village a few miles north of Ulverston.
                        KiteRunner

Comment

Hi Kiterunner, Ive not been able to get in touch with my contact whom I met through genes reunited since last year, its a pity because she was so helpful. she would do look ups for me whenshe had time. I dont know if when she said that the witness was Elizabeth Divine and others that that was what she could only see or if thats what was in the register. hope that makes sense.
                          Kate xx

Comment

Working...
                          X