Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Louisa Skillings in 1891/1901

She may, of course, have emigrated!

Born circa 1845 in Poringland, Norfolk. In 1881 she is a lodger, occupation general servant, in South Lynn, Norfolk.

She doesn't marry either William Howlett or William Swinger: those are different Louisas.

Freebmd doesn't show a marriage or a death.

I had a notion that I'd found her in 1901, possibly married and possibly on the other side of the country, but I haven't the energy to battle with 1901 on GR.

Can anyone spot a likely candidate?
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Haven't spotted anyone yet. The Howletts (Louisa & William) were married in Thame and her surname was Gainsford - or so it looks.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

That should be Louisa Love marrying William Howlett in Depwade in 1870. There seem to be only 3 Louisas of the right age: Love, Chittock & Skillings, but my girl just vanishes!
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Louisa Chittock m William Swinger in Dec 1875 in Docking.

Comment

nb have to go off to a meeting, but any comments - even to say you can't find the darned woman - gratefully received!

Comment

This is the 1870-Depwade couple, then: RG12; Piece: 3692; Folio 43; Page 12

Florence LOVE, 7, is a visitor, and Sofia Matthews, 24, a niece.
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks for that, Christine. Yes, that isn't Louisa Skillings.

I wish I knew why I thought I HAD found Louisa Skillings on a later census.

I have found in 1891

Louisa Killham aged 48, but she's from Liverpool, darn it and on the 1881.

Comment

Brenda,

I have found her in the 1871 cens, in Lancs as a servant, praps that is the one where you thought you had found her later?

1871-Class: RG10; Piece: 4082; Folio: 83; Page: 2;
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Yep, that's her. Talk about loss of brain cells with old age!

You couldn't do a 1891 search for Lou* b1842 +/- 5 b norf* and look at page 10, could you? There's a Tetley, a Tubins and a Tipling that probably aren't her, but might be.

Thank you!

Comment

am still looking Brenda...

nothing seems to be jumpin out though
                    Julie

Comment

THanks, Julie!

Without an ancestry sub, you have to guess info, and with something like 700 villages in Norfolk, that gives you an awful lot of choices, even if they are correctly spelt!

Comment

No,

still cant see her, and I have tried all sorts of spellings... even left the surname blank and still not found much of anything...
                        Julie

Comment

hmmn there is a death for a louisa skilling in 1887

but she is in lambeth...

Louisa Skilling

b. abt 1838 d. 1887

age at death 49

Lambeth

1d page 255
                          Julie

Comment

Oh rats!

There is an unrelated Skilling family in the Surrey area at the time, so I tend to discount that spelling and that area, but I think you must be right, as I can't find a convincing marriage or anybody else who might fit that death.

Thank you so much for looking.

Comment

No Problem,

I thought I had found this one in lambeth on the 1881 but I can't see her now

sorry I can't be of more help, doesn't FamilyHistoryOnline - searchable databases for family history & genealogy in England, Wales & Australia

hold any clues Brenda?
                              Julie

Comment

Working...
                              X