Why O Why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why O Why

why isnt there anyone out there that may be connected to my dad. I found a sister of his but she passed away in 2004, she had a daughter her name is on her mums death certificate, where she gone, shes no longer living at the address they were living at when her mum was alive. I think I nearly had a connection thro one of my dads brothers childrens children but she deleted from g.r when I started asking her some questions. its not fair, all I want to know is where did my dads dad come from. on his birth certificate his mother states his dad was ex-army which army, as a motor maker, on dads sisters marriage certificate she also states her father was a motor mechanic. I have looked on ancestry plus world war 1 bit but cant find anyone with his name near to birth year he was born. also cant find death of dads mums first husband, she married again in 1919 my dad was born 1920.

fathers dads name was william herbert dempster, born 1894 approx, married 1919 aged 25 I sent off for the birth certificate for a william bertie dempster but it wasnt the right one, the year of birth and fathers name were wrong.

first husband william walter walker, born approx 1894, she married him in 1914. he was aged 22.

any help with this would be greatfully appreciated, as I dont know where else to look.

thankyou
    jean

Jean, what does it say for William Herbert Dempster's father's name and occupation on his marriage certificate, and what were the witnesses' names, please? And what were the name and occupation of William Bertie Dempster's father on the "wrong" birth cert?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

First husband William Walter Walker may have died in the war so his death would be in the War Deaths rather than the main GRO

I think FindMyPast has the war death indexes
      Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Can't see him on the CWGC site, but there is an entry in "Soldiers Died in the Great War" - William Walter Walker born Isleworth, residence Sydenham. You would need to use credits on findmypast to look at the full entry, or I think they also have it on Family Relatives (again, you need credits on that site too).
        KiteRunner

Comment

hi kiterunner.

on william herbert dempster marriage certificate it states his fathers name as william dempster he is a gardener. he was living in isleworth at time of marriage.

witnesses were sarah whitehead and william pilling/billing whitehead, Ive tried looking for these two but cant find them either.

dads mum was also living in same place with first husband, have a feeling they were army pals.

on william berties birth certificate he was born 1899 and his fathers name was herbert dempster occupation dock labourer. this william bertie was born in walton, derby.

I know I have asked for help with him before, but its doing me head in as to why I cant find anything out about him.

jean

Comment

Jean, does it definitely give the bridegroom's name as William Herbert Dempster on his marriage certificate? Because according to FreeBMD, he is just William Dempster on the GRO marriage index entry.
            KiteRunner

Comment

This the entry on the CWGC site which matches the Find My Past entry.

WALKER W.W.
              Nationality - United Kingdom
              Royal Fusiliers, 11th Bn.
              Date of Death - 18/09/1918
              Service No - 53198
              Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
              Grave/Memorial Reference: II. C. 12.
              Cemetery: UNICORN CEMETERY, VEND'HUILE
              Elaine

Comment

sorry, just noticed, no it only says william dempster, on all the other certificates is states him as being william herbert. odd?

I have william walter walker's army details found on ancestry war pensions, he was living in perry road, isleworth in 1915 with my nan daisy cooper and son william walter robert walker.

jean

Comment

hi elaine, thanks for helping,

I have william walter walker in duke of cornwalls reg no. 19432. he was discharged 13.4.1915 due to heart problems.

jean
                  Last edited by jean banaszak; 09-01-08, 15:21.

Comment

Originally posted by jean banaszak View Post
                    hi elaine, thanks for helping,

I have william walter walker in duke of corwalls reg no. 19432.

jean
                    The one I have given you above was born in Iselworth, which seems to fit in with the area of research.
                    His death certificate is recorded in the Overseas BMD, Index to War Deaths 1914-1918
                    William W Walker,
                    Unit RFLR, Year 1918, Volume I.82, Page 55

Do you know for sure that the one you have is the right one?
                    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 09-01-08, 15:26.
                    Elaine

Comment

I think I have, it gives his wifes name as daisy cooper, and on her 2nd marriage she states she is a walker, didnt realise at first that she have been married before, till I saw her fathers surname.

william walter and daisy cooper were living in 102 worple road, isleworth at time of marriage in 1914, if I have the right william walker then they moved to perry/percy road, isleworth while he was in the army, daisy was living in 100 worple road, isleworth at time of marriage to william dempster. daisy living in the street till she died.

I think I will have to have another look at the war pensions thingy again. you've given me something to consider, lol.

jean

Comment

I see William Walter Walker has two medal index cards on The National Archives Documents Online, both giving his service number 53198 in the Royal Fusiliers. One only gives his initials, not his full name, the other William W. Interesting, because when I mentioned on The Great War Forum some time ago that there were two medal index cards for my great-uncle, somebody on there was trying to convince me that it was impossible! I might mention W W Walker to them later when I have time...
                        KiteRunner

Comment

thanks for helping me kiterunner.

jean
                          x

Comment

I have found a death for a william w walker on free bmd with the same age that william would have been, in 1918 in croydon, so Im going to send for that and see if its the right one.

jean
                            x

Comment

Jean, I'm pretty sure that the WW1 death we found is him. If it is, then the death certificate should be listed in the "overseas" indexes, not the normal GRO indexes. You can access the overseas indexes on findmypast and Family Relatives.
                              KiteRunner

Comment

morning kiterunner,

o.k I will take a look, I will let you know how I got on.

jean
                                x

Comment

Morning, Jean.

I knew there was something I didn't have time to post yesterday! Just couldn't remember what it was! It's just this... if William Herbert Dempster was just plain William Dempster on his marriage certificate, and you haven't found his birth registration or baptism, and then he is William Herbert Dempster on his children's birth certs and his death cert, it is possible that he was just William Dempster on his own birth certificate and he added the Herbert later in life. Doesn't make things easy, I know.

Roll on the 1911 census!
                                  KiteRunner

Comment

Kate - I have given the overseas reference for the William W. Walker who died in 1918 in post 10.

However, Jean is not sure this is the right one as she has some army discharge papers listing him being in the Duke of Cornwall Regiment, reg.no. 19432.
                                    Apparently discharged due to ill health in 1915.
                                    Elaine

Comment

thats another problem kate, which william dempster do I choose, lol. not sure if there is a scottish connection, so which scottish region do I choose? aaah, wish I could find the daughter of dads sister, then perhaps she could help me, Ive put her name on trying to find on both friends and genes, but as of yet no luck.

jean
                                      x

Comment

Working...
                                      X