• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
    Hi Julie
    Thanks for that.
    I have now changed it in my settings.
    Moggie

just helps you keep track of your threads and if anyone resurrects older ones then you can have a heads up and login :smilee:
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Moggie

According to the write up in our local history book Sam Limmer came to our district in Manitoba in the 1890s. He is listed as one of the players for the West Hall Cricket Club in two newspaper reports in 1897 and 1905. I can't find him in the 1901 census (name probably unreadable and transcribed as something else). In the 1906 census he was in Saskatchewan living beside another former Manitoba boy. There is no mention of him in four cricket matches reported in 1906 and 1907. But by 1908 he was back in Manitoba as reported in a newspaper report of a baseball game. He is again mentioned in two newspaper reports of cricket in 1910 and 1912. In the 1911 census he is living with a farmer near the village of Regent, Manitoba. He moved to British Columbia for a time as he is listed there in the 1921 census. He returned to Manitoba sometime after the 1921 census and lived in the village of Regent, Manitoba Canada from 1926 until his death in 1957.

Sam was never married. He worked for my Grandfather on the farm for a while and later they were neighbours in the village of Regent. As mentioned in the write up about Sam, he loved to hunt fowl and had a double barreled Parker Field and Sons shotgun. This was a beautiful gun with etchings all down the barrels. I'm sure he brought this gun over with him from England. When he got too old to hunt he gave the gun to my grandfather who in turn gave it to my father. My father used it for many years and I now have it.

All the information from the local history book is below. Perhaps this is more than you needed but I thought I would include everything. Do you know if he was related to Ed and Albert Kerr who lived around here in the late 1890s to early 1900s?

SAMUEL KERR LIMMER was born at Norfolk, England in 1872, coming to this district in the 1890’s where he worked on various farms doing odd jobs such as building fences etc. In earlier years he was a member of the West Hall cricket team, the game he loved to play.
      He also loved to shoot and spent many hours in company with his spaniel “Maggie” hunting wild fowl. After living with Sam for many years, it is said that Maggie died of a broken heart when Sam left her to go to the hospital for an operation.
      Sam built himself a shanty in Regent situated at the corner of W. L. Fox’s lot but later bought a lot south of the Lake of the Woods house where he moved his shanty and built a garage to house his Model T Ford coupe. Sam was a great lover of flowers and spent quite a little time gardening. He lived very meagrely in later years which probably contributed to his collapse in October 1956. Sam died in February, 1957 aged 84 years and 8 months.

July 30, 1897

WEST HALL VS HARTNEY

The return match of cricket between West Hall and Hartney was played at West Hall on Tuesday last. Hartney was strengthened by Mr. Ed Briggs while West Hall had their best team on. The result was as anticipated, another defeat for Hartney. As the score shows, our boys need at least another month’s practice before they can consider themselves in it. The boys were very hospitably entertained at J. W. Reid’s and outside of the defeat enjoyed the outing greatly. The score was as follows:

West Hall

J. C. W. Reid b Sheppard 4
      M. C. Tod b Johnston 2
      J. W. Reid c Sheppard b Cameron 27
      J. King b Sheppard 18
      S. Limmer b Cameron 11
      E. Galvin c Hunter, b Cameron 4
      A. Grant b Cameron 13
      J. Weightman c & b Cameron 3
      G. Faulkner c Sheppard b Barter 8
      W. Stirke not out 15
      E. Tigar run out 1
      Byes 6
      Leg Byes 1
      Wides 5
      Total 118

Hartney

H. Shelson b Tod 3
      J. O. Brown b Limmer 2
      E. Briggs c Galvin, B Tod 12
      W. Hopkins b Tod 0
      B. Johnston b Limmer 3
      W. Hunter b Limmer 7
      J. Sheppard c J. W. Reid b Limmer 4
      W. Cameron b Tod 7
      F. Barter c & b Tod 2
      E. Pack b Limmer 0
      J. C. Callender not out 2
      Byes 13
      Leg Byes 2
      Wides 1
      Total 58

August 6, 1905

ELGIN VS WEST HALL

The Elgin cricket eleven came to West Hall last Saturday to play their return match with that team. Fortunately, rain which threatened all the afternoon, held off until the conclusion of the match, which ended in a win for West Hall by some twelve runs. Although beaten, Elgin can congratulate themselves on a distinct improvement in their play, as compared with the form shown the previous Saturday, when they played the first match against West Hall, which they lost by an inning and some ten runs. There is no doubt that Elgin has the makings for a good cricket team, and it is to be hoped that, now they have started, next year will see the town regularly represented in this excellent form of sport.
      Elgin went first to the wickets, and all their batsmen made a creditable stand against the really fine bowling of Limmer and Tigar, Limmer being especially effective. Stringer, for Elgin, added a useful 8, not out, hitting freely and confidently. For West Hall, Galvin gave a fine display of batting, compiling a carefully played score of thirty runs, before he gave a chance in the long field, which was accepted. Barring a hard chance in the middle of his innings this was the only opportunity he gave to Elgin. Tigar played a patient inning between these two batsmen, the score was carried to 43 runs before these two were separated. After this the Elgin bowlers got better command of the ball and did more effective work, the whole side being disposed of for 51 runs.
      The teams were royally entertained after the match at the fine residence of Mr. James Reid and did ample justice to an elegant tea served after partaking in an improvised sing song which all enjoyed.

Line up for West Hall was A. Tigar, W. Stirke, John C. W. Reid, Alex Grant, Malcolm Tod, John King, J. Tod, Sam Limmer, Ed Galvin, Wes Robbins and J. O. Brown

Following is the scoring:

Elgin
      Sefton b Tigar 0
      Richardson c Reid b Limmer 0
      Haines c Robinson b Tigar 9
      Turner b Limmer 5
      Woods b Limmer 2
      Wylie b Limmer 6
      Roberts b Limmer 0
      Robinson b Tigar 3
      Hall b Limmer 6
      Marshall b Tigar 0
      Stringer not out 8
      Extras 10
      Total 49

West Hall
      Tigar b Turner 6
      Galvin c Haines b Turner 30
      Tod c Woods b Turner 2
      Reid c and b Turner 0
      Limmer c Hall b Turner 0
      King b Turner 0
      Stirke b Sefton 3
      Grant b Turner 3
      Brown c Woods b Sefton 3
      Robbins not out 4
      Tod, J. b Turner 0
      Extras 10
      Total 61

August 12, 1908

The most interesting game of the season was played here on Saturday evening, between the baseball club and nine of the cricket club.

Batteries:
      B.B. Dave Tod pitcher, W. Coxworth catcher.
      C.C. Sam Limmer pitcher, J. McKeown catcher.
      Umpire Wes Robbins.

The B.B.s had the first try with two gone and McBurney on first, W. Coxworth got a three bagger and D. Tod brought him home. Everybody hit and Dave got home but with all three bases full McGowan failed to connect. In the next two innings Limmer got his muscle up and only one man reached first base. In the fourth Sid sent a beauty out to the fence and got to third on it. Kerr beat Grant and got to first scoring Sid. W. McBurney fanned but W. Coxworth scored Kerr with a two bagger. Kindred was out at first and McGowan fanned. In the fifth Limmer was getting tired and the B.B.s hit him all over the field. With one man out Sid Coxworth drove one out into the wheat field and made home. Kerr got to first, McBurney failed to find it but Will Coxworth hit a two bagger scoring Kerr, and D. Tod brought him home. Jim Tod was caught on first. In the sixth Gray was put on to relieve Limmer and pitched some very fast ball shutting the B.B.s off altogether.
      For the C.C.s McKeown got to first but was out trying to steal second. Gray got a two bagger, Jim Reid got to second bringing Gray home. John Reid fanned. In the second Tod was too many for the C.C.s and did not allow a man to get away from home. Things looked brighter in the third, McKeown, Gray and Ford got home but with all three bases full Stirke failed to connect. Tod shut them off again in the fourth and fifth but in the sixth the merry go round started. It was getting a little dark for good fielding but the C.C.s saw all right, for everyone hit and nine runs were added before the necessary three were out.

Score by innings:
      Baseball Club: 300230 – 8
      Cricket Club: 103009 – 13

The teams were:

Baseball S. Coxworth 1b, E. Kerr 2b, W. J. McBurney 3b, W. Coxworth c, D. Tod p, J. Tod ss, B. Kindred lf, T. Phillips cf and W. McGowan rf.

Cricket Club – J. McKeown c, J. A. Gray 1b, G. Ford 2b, J. W. Reid 3b, J. C. W. Reid lf, A. Grant ss, S. Limmer p, W. Cairns cf and W. Stirke rf.

Aug. 17, 1910

VIRDEN VS WEST HALL The Virden Cricket Club was defeated on the local field on Friday by the West Hall club, the home eleven securing more runs in one innings than the visitors did in their two. Virden went to bat first and as usual the West Hall bowlers proved strong, poor fielding to a great extent accounting for a number of the runs. In West Hall’s innings at bat a score of 86 was made. J. Ford alone making 39. In Virden’s second innings they only succeeded in getting 29, West Hall winning the match by 9 runs and an innings to spare.

Virden 1st Innings
      Ames b Wood 6
      Harris c Stirke, b Limmer 3
      Wallace c and b Wood 3
      Walker b Limmer 0
      Robertson b Limmer 6
      Brittain 1bw Limmer 14
      Brine b Wood 0
      Goodby, b Wood 0
      Green not out 3
      Marshall b Wood 0

Colbeck stumped 0
      Byes 13
      Total 48

West Hall
      Brown b Robertson 0
      Ford b Robertson 38
      Grant, b Robertson 6
      Tigar c Wallace, b Robertson 4
      J. C. W. Reid b Brittain 2
      King b Robertson 19
      Drummond-Hay b Brittain 0
      J. W. Reid 1bw, b Brittain 1
      Stirke not out 2
      Limmer b Robertson 1
      Wood c Colbeck, b Brittain 0
      Byes 13
      Total 86

Virden 2nd Innings
      Colbeck b Wood 0
      Green b Wood 14
      Brine run out, b Limmer 0
      Wallace b Limmer 0
      Goodby b Limmer 4
      Walker b Limmer 1
      Robertson c Hay 2
      Brittain b Wood 0
      Harris run out, b Limmer 2
      Marshall c and b Limmer 0
      Ames not out 0
      Byes 6
      Total 29

August 21, 1912

West Hall C. C.
      Batting and bowling averages for 1912:

Batting:
      Limmer 16.1 King 5.2
      Tod 12.4 Biggins 5.1
      Grant 9.5 Stirke 4.1
      Woods 8.4 J.C.W. Reid 4.1
      D. Hay 7.1 Ford 3.0
      Jas. Reid 6.6 Brown 1.0
      Orr 1.0

Bowling:
      Jas. Woods 34 wks., 149 runs, 4.13
      Limmer 32 wks., 179 runs, 5.19
      Jas. Reid 8 wks., 59 runs, 7.3
      M. C. Tod 8 wks., 73 runs, 9.1

Comment

beemore, what a fabulous piece of Family History for Moggie to add to her already gathered FH information, thank you from Family Tree Forum for taking the time to respond with all of this gathered information from you.

Edna

Comment

not sure if you can see this but it's 1911 census for Sam, Ancestry only have 189 images for Canada census

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Beemore
            Thank you so much for all the information about Sam Kerr Limmer.
            I don’t think that he was related to the other Kerrs. I have tried to find out where the Kerr name came from but so far no luck. His mother Amelia was a Junquis before marriage & 2 of her brothers were given Kerr as a middle name. Their mother’s maiden name was Gedge so maybe the Kerr came from the father’s side of the family.
            I think it’s amazing that you still have Sam’s gun in your family. Do guns have serial numbers? I just wondered if there was any way of proving that he took it with him when he left England.
            Thank you so much
            Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
              not sure if you can see this but it's 1911 census for Sam, Ancestry only have 189 images for Canada census

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QV95-6NMX
              Thank you Julie
              I am able to view it.
              Moggie

Comment

Hi Moggy

On a quick inspection I don't believe the gun has a serial number. It is inscribed as follows: Parker Field and Sons, Maker's To Her Majesty, 233 Holborn, London, which shows that the gun was manufactured in England. Whether Sam brought it with him from England or purchased it here in Canada is a matter of speculation but I think it quite likely that he brought it with him.
                I may be telling you something that you already know but you can check the 1901, 1906 and 1911 Canadian Census at a site called automated genealogy. The census records are all transcribed and you can view the original documents. It is fully searchable and user friendly. If you have other Canadian connections it might come in handy.
                beemore

Comment

Originally posted by beemore View Post
                  Hi Moggy

On a quick inspection I don't believe the gun has a serial number. It is inscribed as follows: Parker Field and Sons, Maker's To Her Majesty, 233 Holborn, London, which shows that the gun was manufactured in England. Whether Sam brought it with him from England or purchased it here in Canada is a matter of speculation but I think it quite likely that he brought it with him.
                  I may be telling you something that you already know but you can check the 1901, 1906 and 1911 Canadian Census at a site called automated genealogy. The census records are all transcribed and you can view the original documents. It is fully searchable and user friendly. If you have other Canadian connections it might come in handy.
                  beemore
                  Hi Beemore
                  That's a brilliant link to the Canadian census. You can even look at the images. As far as I know I don't have any other ancestors in Canada but I am sure this link will be useful to other researchers.
                  Thank you
                  Moggie

Comment

Working...
                  X