No announcement yet.

Robert Jaggard marriage help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right, found it. Sorry, it's one of those funny IGI things where the entry isn't actually for the marriage, but someone has submitted two birth entries for each of the people who got married and you have to look at one to see who they married, and the other to see who their parents were. Anyway, it does say his father was Joseph. Again, of course, we don't know for sure if that info was taken from the marriage cert or from somewhere else.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
      Yay - I've found an Esther Maynard christening on the IGI, 13 Aug 1826, Berks and Oxford, parents Richard and Elizabeth, same "I" batch as for Phoebe's. I think it might be one of those cases where the first wife died and the widower took up with her sister, and it was illegal to marry your deceased wife's sister, so it could be that Robert and Esther didn't actually get married. Or of course it could be that Phoebe ran off with someone, as we haven't found her death or burial yet...
      Well done!

I did wonder if the marriage was between Robert and Esther but that her sister was a witness and somehow her name ended up in the index (apparently that does happen!!). However, if IGI entry is based on the marriage cert that wouldn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
        Yay - I've found an Esther Maynard christening on the IGI, 13 Aug 1826, Berks and Oxford, parents Richard and Elizabeth, same "I" batch as for Phoebe's. I think it might be one of those cases where the first wife died and the widower took up with her sister, and it was illegal to marry your deceased wife's sister, so it could be that Robert and Esther didn't actually get married. Or of course it could be that Phoebe ran off with someone, as we haven't found her death or burial yet...
        I think you may well be right, Kite. It looks like a very good theory.
        Sue

Comment

*Passes round collection hat for marriage cert and childrens birth certs*

Comment

Thanks for all your help Kite & Merry.

I'm going to order that marriage cert, can't be having with a mystery! lol
            Sue

Comment

lol Merry !

yep think I will order a birth cert too! shh... don't tell hubby I'm using the card again!
              Sue

Comment

don't tell hubby I'm using the card again!
                lol!! Your secret is safe!

Comment

There is a Phebe Jaggard burial listed in Cambridgeshire in 1857 on Family History Online.
                  KiteRunner

Comment

I thought this whole thing rang a few distant bells!

http://www.familytreeforum.com/resea...-marriage.html

It seems you already have details of the marriage from Family History Online, Sue?
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Oh Kite !!

Now I'm really embarassed :o:o

Don't know what I did with my notes on that and I didn't record any of it on my FTM either.

I'm so so sorry that I've repeated a query.

I've ordered the certs now, and I will now record all this.

Thanks for all your help
                      Sue

Comment

PS.. I didn't say sorry to Merry, who also went to a lot of trouble to help.

I feel very stupid for not recording any of the previous findings.
                        Sue

Comment

Never mind, Sue, at least all the info has been double-checked!!
                          KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                          X