Shameless bragging thread...Sorry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Glen,

Occassionally when I've photographed a Church for the Wiki POW I've also gone in the Church and picked up the free leaflets which tend to give Histories and other info on the Church, so to be honest I did a precis on the leaflet. But I believe this is allowed as the leaflets are free.
    I've been whittling away at Hunts Churches for the POW so I do have a few leaflets and I will add more Talk pages when I get time and as everyone says that when you've done the hyperlinks once then the second time becomes easier, but if I ever get stuck I know there are plenty of friends on here who will help me out.

Thanks and cheers for now,
    Neil.

Comment

Blimey

Just had an idle google looking at Lincoln churches, St Mary Le Wigford suprised me a bit.

The tower is over 1000 years old and the font is 14th century, now just how many FTF members have a baptism that might have been in that font i wonder??
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Personally I think it can be a waste of time and effort to write about something like the cathedral and churches of somewhere like Lincoln. There is just so much info out there.
        I will be concentrating my time on some small but equally interesting village churches in Lincs which have no or virtually little info available on the net. The POW are mainly for our members here so i would love to be able to find info on a tiny church in the middle of nowhere that is important to me and my family if not to anyone else in the whole wide world.
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
          Personally I think it can be a waste of time and effort to write about something like the cathedral and churches of somewhere like Lincoln. There is just so much info out there.....

Up to a point i agree that some places do have a lot of info online and it's handy for folks who can't visit or who might find it difficult and yes i agree that the rural churches can be interesting on a more personal level.

St Mary Le Wigford features for two marriages in my lot, possibly a baptism or two as well hence my pleasant suprise re the age of the font. I wonder if any of my lot were baptised in that font or not. It's one of those "I wonder" questions that sparks interest amongst the family.

Long before i started my tree i used to work at Wigfalls in Lincoln (now the British Heart Foundation) by the level crossing, it's only 30 yards from the church and i used to walk past everyday without a second thought, i wish now i had at least walked in and had a nose around.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I'll put that on my list of things to do when we go to Lincoln then Glen.

I bet you're kicking yourself now that you didn't take any when you were down here earlier in the year travelling around Lincs in that big lorry.
            Kat

Comment

I had plenty of fun getting round the corner at St. Peter's in Bishop Norton tyvm. With one slip of the clutch i could have removed every pow in the village at one go :D

And then the one hand on the wheel, one hand on the shutter approach to taking some pictures too, point and hope photography (point in the general direction and hope you didn't chop too much of the building off the picture or run into something during the process).

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

LOL Glen,
                btw we are not entering Registry Offices.....not POW..it was discussed early on.
                Kat

Comment

Just bumping up again and highlighting that a few more talk pages have appeared for the growing number of Scotland images that we now have. There is a slightly primitive but up to date database of Scotland images (and talk pages) on the regional photo boards, worth visiting if you haven't checked them recently as the number of images has grown quickly in the last few weeks.

There have been some great pictures submitted recently despite the poor weather and i hope that the talk pages that appear can do justice to the photographs.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
                  X