Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

These Boots were made for Walking ...............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• These Boots were made for Walking ...............

IMG_1324.jpgMy husband has a pair of beautiful tiny black leather boots which his father wore when he was young - they are not "worn down" and have clearly been looked after. It is known he had small feet so it is possible he would have been wearing them as a 4/5 year old. He was born in 1904 which, if he was wearing them age 4/5 makes them 105/106 years old (I think?)

The leather where the top front of the shoe was creased from wearing them has cracked and I now notice it is beginning to peal. Kept in a display cabinet and not in the sun.

How can I go about preventing further deterioration? Is ordinary shoe polish enough? Would like to keep them in as good condition as possible.

Sue
    Last edited by Sue1; 19-01-15, 16:22.

try contacting these people, they may be able to give some advice

Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks very much Julie - might even pay them a visit - not too far away from me.

Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Sue1 View Post
        Thanks very much Julie - might even pay them a visit - not too far away from me.

Sue
        Julie

Comment

I just had to say - what a wonderful thing to have Sue
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Very lucky and proud to have them. My husband's great grandmother kept them and passed them on to my husband's father's wife! (she obviously knew women looked after these things) and my mother-in-law passed them on to us. We have a photograph of my husband's father just possibly wearing them!
            Particularly nice because my husband's father died when my husband was six and he only remembers a few things about his father.

Sue
            Last edited by Sue1; 20-01-15, 15:15.

Comment

how wonderful you are lucky, any chance of the photo
              Last edited by Guest; 22-01-15, 21:26.

Comment

Hi Val, There is one on here (1st post) but did you mean YOU would like one - if so I will send it by pm - let me know. Sue

Comment

I contacted the Museum in Northamptonshire as advised by Julie - they have been so helpful. It would appear I am not keeping them in the correct atmosphere and they would last longer if there was some air circulating around them!
                  Very windy here at the mo - perhaps I should put them in the garden ................. it is also raining and "some" moisture in the air is helpful to preservation.
                  They (Northampton) also sent me a picture of an almost identical pair of boots albeit in much better condition than the ones we have which they have in their museum.

Comment

You need to feed the leather you can get leather feed at saddlers and pet shops
                    Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Hi Guy, Many thanks indeed for that piece of info. Shouldn't have a problem getting it here - lots of horses around (and pet shops). Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Sue1 View Post
                        I contacted the Museum in Northamptonshire as advised by Julie - they have been so helpful. It would appear I am not keeping them in the correct atmosphere and they would last longer if there was some air circulating around them!
                        Very windy here at the mo - perhaps I should put them in the garden ................. it is also raining and "some" moisture in the air is helpful to preservation.
                        They (Northampton) also sent me a picture of an almost identical pair of boots albeit in much better condition than the ones we have which they have in their museum.
                        did they say how old they would have been Sue?

Originally posted by Guy View Post
                        You need to feed the leather you can get leather feed at saddlers and pet shops
                        Dubbin?
                        Julie

Comment

Dubbin - that rings a bell from many years ago - something my father used on shoes - ?waterproofing - not sure.
                          The museum didn't say anything about the age because I had mentioned the rough age they were i.e. my father-in-law was born in 1904 - probably wearing boots in 1908 - he was the oldest child so probably (almost certainly) the first child to have the boots - he was the oldest child, and unlikely to have been worn by the girls - the last two children of all of them were also boys but for some reason the boots were given to my husband's mother who passed them on to my husband because he was the only one interested in family history. We worked out that they were probably worn by him in 1908 which actually makes them 100 years old this year (I had thought 104 but, presumably, he wasn't born wearing them). They are a lovely thing to have, especially as my husband barely remembers his father - he was 6 when his father died. We have a photo of him as a child and I am pretty sure he is wearing the boots.
                          Although they have some wear on the soles and heels, they also look as though, possibly they have been repaired.
                          Last edited by Sue1; 20-11-15, 20:16.

Comment

Cracking pair of boots. Hope they get sorted.
                            Eighteen -- Hadleigh, Suffolk; Reading, Berkshire
                            Hendry -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire
                            Wylie -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire

Comment

Thanks James - will get the stuff recommended - was in town the other day and forgot. Sue

Comment

Working...
                              X