SHURMER - family bible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SHURMER - family bible

I would love to return this bible to its family.
    There are some marriages recorded in it - using the name SHURMER taking place around Oxford, in Bicester and St. Giles.
    Earliest date is 1887.
    Please get in touch if this means anything to you.
    It is a large, hard backed illuminated bible so will be expensive to post.

That's very helpful, julietmadddren! I hope your bible finds a good home.

And Welcome to FTF!

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

My Mother-In- Laws mother was a Schurmer from Oxford,England, Her Father was Ralph Schurmer born 1858 and he was a Porter at a college in Oxford,he was married to Clarissa born 1859 they had 7 children between 1886 and 1901, My M-I-L who is now 90, is the child of Clarissa the younger born in 1895. I am not sure if this is the family you are seeking?

Comment

Welcome to the forum Victoria.
        It does sound as if there is a possible connection there - will keep my fingers crossed for you!

Why not send Julia a PM (personal message) - just click on her name to the left of her post and you will see the message option. She should receive an email notifying her of your message, so can then sign into the forum to see your post.
        Elaine

Comment

Thanks, I sent her a PM and hope to hear from her soon

Comment

Hello. Thanks for responding. Could you send the names of the 7 children. There may be one that matches the names in the bible

Comment

Schurmer Children
              Ralph born 1886
              Ernest 1893
              Thomas 1894
              Clarissa 1895
              Mary 1898
              Percival 1901
              Arthur 1909 (adopted) They all lived at 7,Kingston road,Oxford.

I hope this helps, it may not be the same family although Shurmer is not a common name

Comment

You'd think that there'd be some kind of connection: FMP has a maximum of 303 incidences of the name in the 1911 (of which only 17† in Oxfordshire), and fewer in the previous years.

There are 1,384 births registered in the E&W index, and 3 overseas. None of the other figures goes into four digits.

Christine

† I think that should probably be 16: it looks as if Ralph, b ca 1858, Fairford, Glos, college porter, appears both at home and at the college.
                Last edited by Christine in Herts; 31-05-12, 15:53.
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi julietmaddren

have just signed on to Family Tree and see my maiden name mentioned! My dad was Jack Empson Shurmer, born the youngest of five in Temple Guiting on 8th December 1912. I wonder if I have a connection to your bible?

Would love to hear from you
                  Regards
                  Pat

Comment

It seems that I did not reply to you at the time - just back on today. None of your listed names appear in the Bible. The geographical area is right though - so if you find any more names let me know.

Comment

Hi - thanks for contacting. Your father's name is not in the Bible. May be you have other family with the Shurmer surname?

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me, I think there are more Schurmers than I thought, there are quite a few in the Oxford and surrounding areas. I hope you get some luck. It's good of you to make the effoort

Comment

Many thanks - the other members of his family were Alfred John- born 1903; Arther Percy - born 1905; Lillian Rose - born 1908 and Eric Geoffrey - born 1910

Strangely, I have noticed that in some family trees on various sites that my dad is not mentioned; I have contacted the owners of those trees to tell them about him.

Kind regards - and thanks for your efforts to reunite the Family Bible

Pat

Comment

Hi, my family lived in that area. My grandmother was Vera Seary marries to Arthur Shurmer.

Comment

Originally posted by shurmer View Post
                              Hi, my family lived in that area. My grandmother was Vera Seary marries to Arthur Shurmer.
                              Welcome to FTF, shurmer!

The fact that the thread-initiator's name is in grey suggests that they haven't visited for some time. It may be worth sending a PM (personal message) - just click on the name, and choose from the drop-down menu that appears. If julietmaddren has the settings appropriately selected, then your PM will trigger an email alert to an external e-address.

Christine

Comment

Shjurmer Family Bible

Originally posted by julietmadddren View Post
                                I would love to return this bible to its family.
                                There are some marriages recorded in it - using the name SHURMER taking place around Oxford, in Bicester and St. Giles.
                                Earliest date is 1887.
                                Please get in touch if this means anything to you.
                                It is a large, hard backed illuminated bible so will be expensive to post.
                                I think that this is my great grand parents. Ralph married Clarissa in Steeple Barton in 1884
                                To my knowledge they had Frederick Heywood, Frank William, Herbert Moyston, Ralph, Ernest Ebborn, Thomas Arthur and Clarissa Emily.

My father is now 86 and his sister is 90 and she still lives in Bicester.

I would be delighted to either collect, I live in Kent or pay for the bible to be delivered.

My father has early dementia and this would mean so much to him, please do contact me

Anne

Comment

Just started using this site, Ralph and Clarissa are my great grand parents, I would welcome any information on the family and am very interested in the bible

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by AShurmer View Post
                                    Just started using this site, Ralph and Clarissa are my great grand parents, I would welcome any information on the family and am very interested in the bible
                                    Welcome to the forum.
                                    It might be a good idea to send Juliet a pm (personal message) in case she doesn't see your posting on here. If you go to the first post on this thread and click on her username to the left of her post you will see the option to send a message. Juliet will then receive an email notification that you are trying to make contact.

If you need any general help with your research then I would suggest you post some details in our Family History Research forum - click here - where we have a very helpful group of members who may be able to point you in the right direction!
                                    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Victoria Ware Vorlander View Post
                                      My Mother-In- Laws mother was a Schurmer from Oxford,England, Her Father was Ralph Schurmer born 1858 and he was a Porter at a college in Oxford,he was married to Clarissa born 1859 they had 7 children between 1886 and 1901, My M-I-L who is now 90, is the child of Clarissa the younger born in 1895. I am not sure if this is the family you are seeking?
                                      Originally posted by Victoria Ware Vorlander View Post
                                      Schurmer Children
                                      Ralph born 1886
                                      Ernest 1893
                                      Thomas 1894
                                      Clarissa 1895
                                      Mary 1898
                                      Percival 1901
                                      Arthur 1909 (adopted) They all lived at 7,Kingston road,Oxford.

I hope this helps, it may not be the same family although Shurmer is not a common name
                                      Originally posted by julietmadddren View Post
                                      It seems that I did not reply to you at the time - just back on today. None of your listed names appear in the Bible. The geographical area is right though - so if you find any more names let me know.
                                      Originally posted by AShurmer View Post

thanks
                                      Hello Anne

From looking at the previous posts, it may not be Juliet and that bible with whom you have the connection, but with Victoria? Victoria's name, too, is greyed, suggesting she hasn't been on the site for a while - so a PM to her (as Elaine had suggested about Juliet) might be worthwhile?

Christine

Comment

Ralph and Clarissa Shurmer are my husbands Great Grandparents also, his Grandmother was Clarissa the younger.We visited Percy in St Neots years ago. I am on Facebook if you would like to keep in touch

Comment

Working...
                                        X