Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handwriting help on death certificate

Hello everyone,

my great uncle came home from the korean war in 1953 and died 3 years later at the young age of 25. I have requested the death certificate but I can't read it very well. I am hoping that someone can help me decipher it?

Thanks

Dennis

Hello Dennis and welcome.
    Your image has not uploaded properly, there is just an empty square. If you try again and it still doesn’t show up then feel free to email a copy to me. The address is in my profile.

Comment

I don't think you can attach images until you have made 10 posts and been a member for 10 days. Can you put it on an image site and the put the link up

I think imgbb is one that people use on here, but any like google images fine as long as you get the link
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

So sorry!

Comment

That's hard writing and loads of medical terms. I think a layman would say he died from a heart attack. Doesn't seem to mention his war service so it might not have been contributing to the death.
          Anne

Comment

Massive a????? bilateral Renal shutdown 24hrs

Antecedent causes: Aortic embolism Embolism to kidney 48hrs
            Due to: Mitral valvul??? ball type thrombosis 2mo
            Occlusion of inferior m???tric artery. Endocarditis
            Major finds of operation: Massive embolism of aorta

Comment

Well done, Jill, you got a lot that I couldn't decipher.

3rd line: mitral valvulitis
              4th line: inferior mesenteric artery

Comment

I am wondering if the first cause is Massive atelectasis, which would go alongside the various heart disease, it affects the lungs. Looks like your great uncle was quite a sick man.
                Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by bubblebelle View Post
                  I am wondering if the first cause is Massive atelectasis
                  Yes, I think that's right, well done!

Comment

Oooh, missed the boat on this one. Well
                    done everybody. That truly is terrible handwriting!

Comment

Originally posted by bubblebelle View Post
                      I am wondering if the first cause is Massive atelectasis, which would go alongside the various heart disease, it affects the lungs. Looks like your great uncle was quite a sick man.
                      which actually means no sense as he was mustered and fit for military service in 1950. He then served 3 years in Korea, came back and worked as a sheet metal worker for Kawnee co. And some 2 years later, at 25, he dies of this? How so?

Comment

This might provide a clue as to what hazards he could have been exposed to in Korea.

Apply for and manage the VA benefits and services you’ve earned as a Veteran, Servicemember, or family member—like health care, disability, education, and more.

This one for sheet metal workers

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                          This might provide a clue as to what hazards he could have been exposed to in Korea.

Apply for and manage the VA benefits and services you’ve earned as a Veteran, Servicemember, or family member—like health care, disability, education, and more.

This one for sheet metal workers

https://asbestosvictimadvice.com/201...ortality-rate/
                          I have read through the documents but there is nothing related to the death cause of my great-uncle there. It was no asbestos related cancer and I doubt that paint chemicals can cause an aorta embolism. But I am straying from the main topic here.

Comment

Have you tried googling his name, in case there was a newspaper article about it at the time?

The death of a young Korean war veteran would possibly have merited an article in a local paper, or at least an obituary.

Are there no living family members who remember him?

Comment

Originally posted by denno View Post

I have read through the documents but there is nothing related to the death cause of my great-uncle there. It was no asbestos related cancer and I doubt that paint chemicals can cause an aorta embolism. But I am straying from the main topic here.
                              John Ritter died from one of these walking across the street on the way to lunch iirc. One of our neighbors did also. More common than people realize.

An enlargement of the aorta, the main blood vessel that delivers blood to the body, at the level of the abdomen.

An abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) can be life-threatening if it bursts. Abdominal aortic aneurysms are most common in older men and smokers.
                              An abdominal aortic aneurysm often grows slowly, without symptoms. As it grows, some people may notice a pulsating feeling near the navel. Pain in the back, belly, or side may be signs of impending rupture.

Stopping smoking may slow their growth. Small ones may only need monitoring. Aneurysms that are too large or growing too quickly should be repaired with surgery.

Comment

Working...
                              X