Ancestral Postcards - ebay shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestral Postcards - ebay shop

I stumbled across this site a few weeks ago when I popped in a family surname looking for old documents, the seller lists used cards based on the details on the reverse and the listings are good enough to allow a search by town and surname, many titles also include the street name. There's the odd misread street but overall they're pretty accurate. They also sell the usual picture type cards which can either be searched by county or use the menu on the left. Quick turnaround too, I ordered some during xmas and they arrived about a week later which included the New Year break.

Mo's Postcards | eBay Stores

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

I have bought a few from that shop before, too. It’s also interesting just to browse there.
    Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

I've found I'm related to a family that owned a manor house in Notts and a descendant moved to London, a card popped up that was sent to them from one of their children, the image is of another two family members. Just months later the probate of the father appears with the same name and address as the card
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

interesting, hadn't realised that some were indexed enough that you could search for a name
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I think there are quite a few ebay sellers who are wise to the family history market. A lot of them deliberately include the words Family History or Genealogy in their description titles to help you searching.
          Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

I know you mentioned it before, but hadn't clicked that I could surname search takes luck of the draw I suppose if you check at right time. Or maybe I can do some saved searches and get alerts, will investigate
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

There are two of the cottage my great grandfather lived in, a watercolour and a photo, though neither are very old. I won't be buying though as I've been there and took several photos myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                I stumbled across this site a few weeks ago when I popped in a family surname looking for old documents, the seller lists used cards based on the details on the reverse and the listings are good enough to allow a search by town and surname, many titles also include the street name. There's the odd misread street but overall they're pretty accurate. They also sell the usual picture type cards which can either be searched by county or use the menu on the left. Quick turnaround too, I ordered some during xmas and they arrived about a week later which included the New Year break.

Mo's Postcards | eBay Stores
                Not seen that shop before. Thanks for the link. Will have a look sometime.

Comment

Hmm, their grasp of the geography of Scotland leaves a lot to be desired particularly the three south west counties. Had a bit of a wry smile when I found Ben Lomond in Dumfriesshire Northern Ireland too - quite a few Dublin and County Wicklow cards. I liked the search facility though. Very useful in the Genealogical section.

Comment

Working...
                  X