Handwriting help, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handwriting help, please

I'm working my way through transcribing some WWI letters sent between my great uncles (fighting abroad) and great aunts (waiting for them to come home). I'm struggling with some of the writing so I thought you might have some ideas.

This is the first one.... Just need help with "Incidently our Sergeant major has been awarded the ………. So of course he paid for a drink"

I've clipped the whole paragraph so you can enjoy a snippet of life on the front lines.

Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

And this one, talking about xmas dinner. What was the food? Roast, brussels spts, ??? & pomdateres (French) and a good allowance of Duff

Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

D.C.M Distinguished Conduct Medal

Comment

Originally posted by fran View Post
        D.C.M Distinguished Conduct Medal
        Ah, yes, of course! I can see it now. I was trying to read it as D and then a word beginning with C.

Thank you

Comment

bals pommes de terre? Potato balls

Comment

That could be it, couldn't it? Thank you. I'll know who to ask next time I get stuck

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
              And this one, talking about xmas dinner. What was the food? Roast, brussels spts, ??? & pomdateres (French) and a good allowance of Duff

Not sure what Cals is meant to be - cauliflower doesn’t seem right for Christmas dinner whereas carrots would be but the abbreviation doesn’t fit that. Pommes de terre is French for potatoes. I think the Duff is probably plum duff as a substitute for a real Christmas pudding.

Comment

Cabs meaning cabbages?

Comment

Originally posted by fran View Post
                  bals pommes de terre? Potato balls
                  I think Fran has the answer - French war time delicacy Potato Balls!

Comment

I imagine this might be between our Uncle Percy and my Grandfather Frederick who I do believe was a Sergeant or Sergeant major. For as long as I could remember we had cauliflower and cheese at Christmas and unfortunately for me Brussle sprouts .

photo ... probably at the beginning and at the end of the war as he looks a bit more brash in the second photo.

Comment

Here are rainjain's photos to save you having to follow the link. A few more posts and he'll be able to upload photos himself

Comment

Working...
                      X