Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Peacock, army records

Thomas Peacock.jpg

Can anyone help me figure this out please? I've got his name, his age as 18, if it's my Thomas then he'd have been born in Stockton-on-Tees, 1875 making his enlistment in 1893. The documents so damanged that I can barely make anything out of it.
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Sarah

that image is very small, could you give the link to the record so that we can get a better look please.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Impossible to see from the image Sarah. Do you have a link to Ancestry, or wherever you have found the document.
      Elaine

Comment

Sorry, didn't think of that one.
        Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Comment

Date of enlistment seems to be August 1914, aged 18 - therefore born c1896.

Sarah, did you know there is generally more than one page to an army record. Just to the top right of image you will see page/image numbers, in this case it is image no. 96568
          If you click the arrows to the right of that you will move on to the next page (where you can see the date of medical examination etc.)
          Elaine

Comment

Well I don't think the first page tells you that much, apart from the top which is readable. You have no doubt seen the page where it gives his father as Jno Joseph and his mother as Alice and his address as discharge as 41, Looks like Garbuk? Stockport. Also the page before that one that gives his date of discharge as 24/11/14 for defective eyesight.
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Quite often you also get next of kin on the records which is helpful when trying to tie into the right family. If you scroll through to image 96571 you can see that father is John (?) Joseph, and mother is Alice.
              Elaine

Comment

Nup I didn't know about the other pages, I guess he can't be my Thomas then because his parents names are James and Sarah. But he does have a brother and sister named Alice and Joseph.

Comment

When and where was your Thomas born?
                  Elaine

Comment

There were two Thomas Peacock births in Stockton in 1875. One in March and one in Dec. So maybe the record is for the other one.
                    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 09-11-12, 15:52.

Comment

The first post suggests birth in Stockton on Tees, Elaine.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                        There were two Thomas Peacock births in Stockton in 1875. One in March and one in Dec. So maybe the record is for the other one.
                        Don't think it was for either Chrissie. He was aged 18 on enlistment and the dates of medical examination etc. was 1914, therefore born c1896.
                        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
                          The first post suggests birth in Stockton on Tees, Elaine.
                          Yes, was just trying to get a confirmation of date and place!
                          Elaine

Comment

Thomas Peacock,
                            Stockton-On-Tees,
                            Married Frances Dack.
                            Son of James Peacock-March 1850, Stockton-On-Tees and Sarah Corby- 1849, Scaldwell, Northhamptonshire.

Had another look at the tree and he's an only child, Alice and Joseph were his Aunt and Uncle.
                            I have far to many Thomas's within my tree.

Comment

Of course - sorry. I was only looking at part of what Sarah had said instead of working it out.

Comment

Sarah, do you know for sure whether he was in WW1 or is it just a speculative search?
                                If he did serve in the war, do you know if he survived?
                                Elaine

Comment

I'm not sure if he did serve in the war or not but his youngest child was born in 1909 and I have seen a picture of a man in uniform with a family of young children at my Aunts and it doesn't match the one that my Nanna has of her Dad in his Navy Uniform. Not only that but they adopted a child after the war and as far as I know she's in a home for the elderly.

Comment

If it's naval then you are more likely to find something on the National Archives - but have just had a look and can't see anything obvious, although I struggle with the new catalogue format!
                                    Elaine

Comment

Found a bit more info.. The picture that my Nanna has is defo her Dad in his Navy uniform, he had joined the Army but when the 2nd war started he moved onto the Navy.

The picture that my Aunt has is of Thomas in his Army uniform.

Comment

Working...
                                      X