where to apply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where to apply

Ihave been trying to find my motheres confirmation certicate and her baptism certicate but applied to the church where this took place recieved no reply she was born 1898 in the parish of brecknockshire at the church of st edmonds could anyone tell me where i could obtain these documents olease

George, I am moving your post over to the Family History Research forum as I think more people will see it there.
    There are some parish registers online on Findmypast for Wales, you might be lucky in finding a copy of the baptism register.
    You may find some members have access to other records - do you want to give your mother's name in case anything can be found for you.
    You say the church was St. Edmonds, what parish was that in.
    Elaine

Comment

'in the parish of brecknockshire' Elaine :D
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I thought that was the county ???
        Elaine

Comment

I have no idea Elaine sorry. I was just quoting George.

Comment

There is a St Edmonds church in Crickhowell Brecknockshire

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
              I have no idea Elaine sorry. I was just quoting George.
              Welsh geography not my strong point either! :D
              Elaine

Comment

thats the one chris it is crickhowell many thanks
                elaine

Comment

Is the church still in existence? worth asking the parish priest but it could be he's averse to family history as it's time consuming or they might have been retained.

When I was looking recently for some in the North East I had to go to Tyne & Wear archives and trawl through the microfilm but perhaps you might find them on a film from the LDS. It's about £7.50 for 3 months these days.

There was only a list of those being confirmed and what their confirmation names were. Don't think I saw any First Communion entries so it may be a bit hit and miss whether these records survive. However baptisms are great as they show the godparent(s).
                  Last edited by JBee; 09-11-12, 17:32.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

yes bee the church is still there asked the vicar got no reply very helpful he was i was also married there in 1952
                    Last edited by yanto; 09-11-12, 17:46.

Comment

Originally posted by JBee View Post

There was only a list of those being confirmed and what their confirmation names were. Don't think I saw any First Communion entries so it may be a bit hit and miss whether these records survive. However baptisms are great as they show the godparent(s).
                      I think that only applies to RC records, not C of E, doesn't it?
                      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 10-11-12, 02:07.

Comment

I have my brother's baptismal & confirmation certs.: the former has parents full names & godparents by title & surname, the latter has no relationship details. I believe the church charges about £13 to provide another cert.
                        Glen

Comment

i wrote to the vicar of the church got no reply very good of him

Comment

How long ago did you write, email or snail mail? This sort of request isn't high on a priest's list of priorities. Some of my husband's requests to Ireland have taken months.
                            Glen

Comment

Oops sorry thought it was RC .............

Have you looked to see if there's a church office telephone number? He may have given the request to the church clerk and it's been overlooked.

The church office I contacted about half siblings christenings were very helpful and did search to try and find one that was missing. Think she mustn't have been done!! lol

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

thank yo bee mum was confirmed around 1927 i have her photo of confirmationwill try it on avantar thanks george sorry would not accept piture in avantar
                                Ido remember when i was young her certificate in a frame on our wall at home
                                Last edited by yanto; 10-11-12, 11:16.

Comment

Have you tried the county archives? Usually church records are deposited there when the books are full. This keeps them safe and relieves the local vicar from having to find them for queries.

Anne

Comment

I thought Yanto wanted the actual certificates, not just the PR entry.
                                    Glen

Comment

Originally posted by Oakum Picker View Post
                                      I thought Yanto wanted the actual certificates, not just the PR entry.
                                      The actual certificate issued at the time is a one off. The parish church doesn't keep copies of it, but can issue a certificate containing the information from the register.
                                      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

have emailed the archive centr to see if they have a record

Comment

Working...
                                        X