Scottish records help needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish records help needed.

William Baillie died on Isle of Mull 14 mar 1903. I have the register entry for his death

Looking at it again today, I note that the informant is his Brother in Law, but I cannot decipher the name. William had no sisters, and his wife's Ellens maiden name was Calder, which it doesn't look like. I assume that it is one of his wife's sisters husbands, but again can't work out who. I'm afraid Scotlands People and I do not get on well together - I just purchased some credits and none of the records can be viewed, but wonder if anyone can make out the name of the informant at all.

At one time I thought that Ellen's sister Elizabeth had married Donald Mcleod in 1894, but think I have just found her still single in 1901, so have to try again.

Thanks
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

It's a bit difficult to make out as the tops of the letters have been cut off in the scan - can it be rescanned?
    Elaine

Comment

Unfortunately not, that was all I received, someone else kindly sent it to me.
      Linda

Comment

Oh, what a shame!
        Elaine

Comment

I am trying to think of names that would fit - best I can come up with is Macleod ?? Initials possibly D.A
          Elaine

Comment

Right - how about this for a combination of names from a 1901 census?-
            1901 Carluke, Lanarkshire

Donald A Mcleod, bc 1869, Olrig, Caithness, tailor and clothier
            Elizabeth C Mcleod (often married women in Scotland put their maiden name down as a middle name), b c 1873, Olrig, Caithness
            Mary Baillie, niece bc 1882, Olrig, Caithness
            William Spence Calder bc 1865, Olrig, Caithnes, brother-in-law
            Last edited by herky; 08-11-12, 21:19.
            herky
            Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Oh, well done Herky. That looks good!
              Elaine

Comment

Oh - just to add that the reason I searched for a Caithness connection is that "GUNN" is very, very common in Caithness and I see that William Baillie's mum was a GUNN.
                herky
                Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Ooh Herky, that is very good - William Spence Calder was Ellen's younger brother, and their daughter Margaret was known as Mary and all the dates match. So it must have been Donald McLeod, so maybe that marriage I found in 1894 is the right one. I have that as being in Glasgow Barony Lanarkshire, would that be about the right area?

Thanks so much
                  Linda

Comment

Barony is Glasgow city centre - ish- , Carluke is about 22 miles south.
                    herky

Comment

Do you know that ancestry has William Baillie's mates certificate and a list of his ships etc?
                      herky

Comment

Yes, I was thrilled to find those the other day - I have quite a good time-line of him now, sadly he died when OH's grandmother(his daughter) was only 3 so she never knew him. Her mother remarried and they went even further north - to the Orkneys, which she always thought of as home. I actually have the original marriage certificate from 1881 for William and Ellens marriage - one of my prized possessions.
                        Linda

Comment

Working...
                        X