Missing in 1891 & 1901

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing in 1891 & 1901

I am trying to find Rebecca Smith in 1891 & 1901, but I am having great difficulty, not helped by the fact that her year & place of birth changes.
    I have a possible baptism for her in Carrington Lincs in 1831 parents James & Mary. In 1841 she is aged 8 living in Louth Lincs with widowed mother Mary & siblings. In 1851 she is in Hull working as a cook aged 20 from Louth, 1861 she is working in Paddington as a cook aged 28, place of birth Hull. 1871 she is living with Mary in Hammersmith aged 40, listed as Housekeeper's daughter place of birth Bolingbroke Lincs. 1881 still with Mary in Hammersmith aged 50 a cook, place of birth Boston Lincs. I think I have found Mary's death in 1883 Fulham.
    Rebecca then goes missing but is back in 1911 in Bayswater aged 80 retired cook place of birth Bolingbroke again.
    Can anyone find her in the missing censuses please?
    Lynn

1891 she was in Hammersmith, at working as a cook in the household of James Osborn at 1 Southerton Rd. Birthplace given as Louth, age 60
    RG12 piece 37 folio 112 page 37
    Last edited by JudithM; 06-11-12, 09:45.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

That is great Judith, thanks. That is where she was in 1881 as well & really confirms to me that she is the right Rebecca. Just to find her in 1901 now
      Lynn

Comment

Found her straightaway on FMP. Maybe she is mistranscribed on Ancestry?
        Name Relation Condition Sex Age Birth Year Occupation Disability Where born
        SMITH, Rebecca Cook Single F 70 1831 Cook South Lincolnshire
        Piece:16
        Folio:53
        Page: 3
        Registration District: Paddington
        Civil Parish: Paddington
        Municipal Borough:
        Address: 10, Bark Place, Paddington
        County: London
        Last edited by webwiz; 10-11-12, 08:18.
        People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
        Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Wow, thanks for that. I looked on FMP as well but couldn't find her, how strange!
          Edit I have found her now, her year of birth is transcribed as 1861!
          Last edited by Lynn The Forest Fan; 11-11-12, 08:00.
          Lynn

Comment

Working...
          X