Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

James Melhuish Jones - Liverpool born 1869 - a mystery!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Melhuish Jones - Liverpool born 1869 - a mystery!!!

Hello everyone:
    Just like you all I love a mystery!! I am trying to trace James Melhuish Jones family, he was born March 1/4 1869 recorded in West Derby Liverpool. I have found a baptism record at St Peter's, Liverpool on 13 January 1869, which all fits, listed however is mother Kate, living in Everton, no father listed!! I have found his marriage record at St Giles, Toxteth to Agnes Adams, on 23 July 1896, he is listed as an engineer of 41 Collins Street, father Richard Jones a Joiner!! All very mysterious!! Nowhere in the censuses can I find James as a baby in 1871 or child in 1881, with a Kate or a Richard, but I have found a couple of James's who were 'boarders'!! An odd term for one so young! I would be grateful if anyone could check I haven't missed anything!! I can follow him after his marriage, but I am looking for his parents! The saving grace is of course the 'Melhuish' middle name!! Is that a Welsh name?
    Many thanks for reading,
    Rachel

Melhuish is a name of Scottish origin and is a good clue to the name of his father I think. Is the father's name also blank on his birth cert? It was very common for someone who was illegitimate to make up a father's name to put on their marriage cert.

Boarder is a common expression for anyone in a household who was not a relative and who was paying to live ther. Age didn't come into it. As he was illegitimate I expect he was boarded out so that his mother could work.

OC

Comment

Did he have a twin? There is a John registered on the same page - may be a red herring, as Jones is such a common name.

OC

Comment

Yes I think you are correct, as I have found two Kate Jones, both of the correct sort of age, both servants. We had thought there might be a Welsh connection! Melhuish which before I have only found as a surname is unusual!
        Thanks for your suggestions,
        Rachel
        Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
        Melhuish is a name of Scottish origin and is a good clue to the name of his father I think. Is the father's name also blank on his birth cert? It was very common for someone who was illegitimate to make up a father's name to put on their marriage cert.

Boarder is a common expression for anyone in a household who was not a relative and who was paying to live ther. Age didn't come into it. As he was illegitimate I expect he was boarded out so that his mother could work.

OC

Comment

A middle name which is a surname is very often the surname of the father, if the child is illegitimate, as it was a way that the unmarried mother could say to the world "I DO know who his father is".

OC

Comment

Theodore and Francis Melhuish born Liverpool 1855&1857 to parents Charles and Emily Martha christening Liverpool St Marys

Elizabeth Melhuish marries St Peter Liverpool Lancashire 1870 her Father is Charles Melhuish

Emily Melhuish marries St Columba Liverpool Lancs 1874 father Charles Melhuish

Marriage Bonds Charles Melhuish 1843 Liverpool to Emily Martha Hull

Much more on Familysearch https://www.familysearch.org/search/...ar%3A1830-1879~

Just a thought as a possible father though there are other possibles

Edna

Comment

All my Melhuish lot were from Lincs and prior to that Somerset and Glouscestershire.

Comment

Working...
              X