trace your twigs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trace your twigs!

a cousin had traced the descendants of an aunt b.1772, and was sent a photo of her portrait, and a photo of her niece, unknown to their family. the niece is my 4th great grandmother, and none of her descendants have a photo of her, or portraits of her or her family. even though we know that some were in existence and were sold at auction in the 1930's when the senior line went bankrupt. the family were landed gentry as well, so it is more surprising there is nothing left.

moral of the story, trace your twigs!! you don't who has what in their attics!

Exactly, Kyle!

A hitherto unknown cousin remarked almost casually that he had a photo of our 2 x GGM which was taken in 1857. As no one had ever seen this woman (she died quite young) I was absolutely over the moon to receive a copy.

Tracing sideways connections also allowed me to connect two families which I had suspcted for a long time knew each other, but I could never prove until I found the person who linked both families...and then a lot of other things fell into place as well!

I often wonder how much people miss when they only follow one name, or only follow their direct ancestors.

OC

Comment

I was thrilled when I finally saw a photo of my Mothers Father for the first time ,which I would not have got if I hadn't gone sideways.
      Just sorry my Mum never saw him, as he died when she was only 4 months old , and no Photos existed.

Comment

Working...
      X