Help with baptism query please.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with baptism query please.......

Hi im trying to find the baptism of my gt gt grandad George Groves b:1830 Harrow Middlesex area, ive found one but he would of been 7 years old in them days wouldn't a baptism be done a.s.a.p. after birth.

Ive found his marriage to a Jane Wright 1850 where its states his father is John, but no baptism to find out mothers name.

Ive looked at 1830 census but it comes up with slave registers.

I would appreciate any help
    Best wishes
    Shirley
    Last edited by shirleyjackson; 04-11-12, 14:53.

Baptisms are most common on young infants but were performed on older children quite regularly - I have researched a family where they had 9 children baptised on the same day. Where is the entry you are looking at ?

The marriage record for George/Jane in 1850 gives his age as 23 , so a date of birth in 1826/7 seems more likely.

There is a possible entry in Harrow in the 1841 census showing George Groves age 15, and with possible parents John (64) and Mary (56)

They appear to be still alive in 1851 and living a couple of doors away from George & Jane (on the previous census page), and with a son Henry (age 33).

Looking back at the Baptism records for Harrow - there are entries for Henry being baptised in 1817 and George in 1826, both showing parents as Ayzer/Hazer Groves and his wife Mary, and there are other children from 1811 onwards. I wonder if he decided to use the name John later in life ? - further research may work that one out.
    Last edited by AntonyM; 04-11-12, 16:21.
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Anthony thanks i cant find that.... think ive got google eyes now as been looking at screen all day will have a nother look late thanks for you help x

Comment

If it is the same man - he was born in Fulmer , Buckinghamshire (only a few miles down the road from where I live) c1779 and married Mary MAY in Ealing in 1804.
        Last edited by AntonyM; 04-11-12, 16:55.
        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Working...
        X