Addresses of convenience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Addresses of convenience?

A strange title but I didnt know how best to put it.
    Transcribing Marriage Records I frequently come across the same address used in many marriages in a Register used for either Bride or Groom or both.
    I wondered if the address was rented to show one was living there in order to comply with Banns Regulations?

I would think that the address would be either bride or grooms home address, though I do have instances where both bride and groom marry out of their respective parishes.

but in answer to your question I spose that they could say they lived at one address, in order to comply
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Many addresses were simply addresses of convenience as the title suggests. Many were the address of the bride or groom.
      What most research points to is few of the addresses were occupied by both the bride and groom together.

Addresses were given in the knowledge that few if any checks would be made on the truth or otherwise of the claim.
      Some even went to the extent of leaving a suitcase at the address in question.
      It was simply a convenience to conform with the requirements of Banns.
      Cheers
      Guy
      Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

this link explains a lot about certs

Comment

Cheers Julie, Guy and Val. That web site Val is a handy one to have at the ready.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
            http://www.dixons.clara.co.uk/Certif.../marriages.htm
            this link explains a lot about certs
            Nice write-up, Val. Thanks for the link

Comment

A lot of my family gave the same address on their marriage certs, it was because they lived in different parishes and would therefore have to pay twice for the Banns to be read. I even had the same problem when I got married, my husband and I had to pay twice because we lived in different areas. It saved them money

Comment

Now that is more than likely...........................you're not that 'insane' but maybe 40.

Comment

I thought I had heard that somewhere too makes more sense doesn't it ?

Comment

Working...
                  X