deciphering a record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deciphering a record

Could anyone please help with deciphering a death record .I can`t make out professions . I thought I had seen an offer to do this but I can`t find it again. Also how do I put photo of it on the forum?
    Thanks
    EP

You'll need to upload the photo to Photobucket, Flickr or a similar site.

Comment

I'm posting this for EP, who hasn't managed to get to grips with Photobucket yet. I've blown it up a bit, but I can't make it out either.

The information EP's looking for is James' occupation and his father's occupation, and the name of the station.

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 05-11-12, 11:44.

Comment

I think what you may need to do is contact ScotlandsPeople to ask if they can provide a clearer image; I believe they're very helpful.

Comment

There is no occupation for the father - it just says - "William Charteris, reputed father" - I think????
          As for the informant on the death - Jas (James) Charteris, son and then an address, which I am still working on.
          herky
          Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Occupation for James -
            ? Mineral weigher.

Not heard of it but the first letter of the second work looks very similar to the W of widower.
            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
              Occupation for James -
              ? Mineral weigher.

Not heard of it but the first letter of the second work looks very similar to the W of widower.
              You know Elaine - that is what I thought but I have never heard of it before or seen it on a cert - and you are correct about the "W".
              However I am having doubts about "reputed father" now - difficult writing but the fact that he was illegitimate makes reputed father a possibility.
              herky
              Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Julip - I see there is an RCE (register of corrected entries) - have you viewed this for more details - costs 2 credits, sometimes useful sometimes not.
                herky

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
                  However I am having doubts about "reputed father" now -
                  Not convinced about that either. The first letter of the second word doesn't seem to match the 'F' of February Fifth - in fact it seems more like the 'C' of Charteris.
                  Elaine

Comment

Thanks to you all for your suggestions , I just googled mineral weigher ,and it seem to be someone employed in a mine , although it doesn`t specify what type, who weighs minerals in order to asses wages. I thought the Father`s first letter of his surname looked a bit like the L of Jessie`s name Leitch , I know her name , incidentally from the Carter tree mentioned before . It turns out the owner shares the same 4x g grandparents with my husband which is a nice surprise . I will try out the Scotlands People . It may be the grandson James wouldn`t have any info on his grandfather , as Williams wife died in 1837,and he married 3 more times ,spending the rest of his life abroad.Tried googling stations near Cambusnethan but no joy. Thanks to Mary for coming to the rescue ! Appreciate all your efforts .
                    Much obliged
                    EP.
                    Last edited by julip; 05-11-12, 13:22.

Comment

In the last column of the first image I think it says (in this order)
                      William Charteris
                      Reputed father
                      Janet Porteous
                      (Deceased)

Comment

http://scottishmining.co.uk/42.html this may be interesting

Edna

Comment

Mineral Hugher, Sleightmine (slate) like in Coal Hewer, the train stations locally are described in the above link

Edna
                          Last edited by clematised; 05-11-12, 15:57.

Comment

Ann ,thanks for names . I doesn`t say dec .for William ,he died a year earlier in Turkey ,another reason I think the grandson didn`t know anything about the family . Edna, Mineral Hewer sounds very feasible, looked at the Villages with stations ,and one is a possible ,Overton , but not certain.
                            Thanks
                            EP

Comment

Originally posted by julip View Post
                              Ann ,thanks for names . I doesn`t say dec .for William ,he died a year earlier in Turkey ,another reason I think the grandson didn`t know anything about the family . Edna, Mineral Hewer sounds very feasible, looked at the Villages with stations ,and one is a possible ,Overton , but not certain.
                              Thanks
                              EP
                              Cambusnethan, a village and a parish in the Middle Ward of Lanarkshire. The village, now incorporated in Wishaw police burgh, stands 1 mile WSW of Newmains station, and 1 mile NE of Wishaw station

Edna

Comment

Edna ,
                                It is possible the Station is no longer under the name on the cert, a lot of areas have obviously changed , going to be difficult to find it now. Thanks for that suggestion, never occurred to me !
                                EP

Comment

I was travelling recently from Glasgow to Motherwell and we went through "Newton" station.
                                  Is that a possibility?
                                  Off to look at a map.
                                  herky

Comment

The Wishaw and Coltness Railway was an early Scottish mineral railway. It ran for approximately 11 miles from Chapel Colliery, at Newmains in North Lanarkshire connecting to the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway near Whifflet, giving a means of transport for minerals around Newmains to market in Glasgow and Edinburgh.
                                    Taken from wikipedia
                                    herky

Comment

Herky ,
                                      The more I look at it the more it does look like `town` at the end. The only one I could find is Overtown ,a village in Cambusnethan . I found a mention of it being `chiefly inhabited by workers in the mineral field ` The only fly in the ointment is the first letter ,is it an O.
                                      EP

Comment

Working...
                                      X