Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick american question

Hi,
    I have found the death registration for one of my relatives in USA in the 1960's. It gives a Social Security ref number. Does anybody know if this means he was claiming social security when he died, and they paid for the funeral? Or is it more like our British National Insurance numbers, and everyone has one?

Thanks for any help
    Darannon

not strictly what you asked but:

The U.S. Social Security Death Index is a database of death records that were created by the United States Social Security Death Index’s Death Master File. This useful file lists residents of the United States:

Who had a Social Security Number (SSN)
    Who have died since 1962
    Whose death has been reported to the Social Security Administration

you could also try looking on www.findagrave.com to see if you can find their burial place.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Sounds as though everybody has one, and it's more like our National Insurance number:

Comment

Thankyou, that's very helpful.

Comment

It's a complex question. Social security has evolved quite a bit since its inception - particularly dating back into the 1960s, I would not assume anything.

I have one ancestor who died in 1960. He does not appear in the SSDI. He did have a SSN. He had never drawn retirement payments from SS. I doubt Social Security paid anything towards his funeral: he was a veteran, and the VA paid for some or all of his funeral.

Another ancestor: her husband died in 1973 - that's when she applied for a SSN for the first time: until then, she was covered under her husband's number.

As I understand it - government workers and very small employers were not initially SS participants. I have a co-worker whose husband works currently for an employer who does not participate in SS.

It is very difficult to live/work in the US without a SSN now. There was a story on the news recently about a child, now reaching his majority, who had never had a SSN: he can't (legally) work for pay; his father can't claim the exemption on federal taxes; I doubt he can get a driver's license.

Wikipedia has several entries concerning US social security

and probably more.

Comment

If you have found the record on the SSDI, it can lead to two possible sources: one is the likely place for the death registration (because it gives the last State in which payment was claimed), and the other is that you can apply for a photocopy of the social security number application - the SS5.

You already have the info to apply for the death cert, but the SS5 is potentially very valuable to you: it gives lots of personal info about the person, plus the names of parents. Being an application, it is also signed: so you can compare it to, say, a signature on a marriage register entry.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
            X