Can anyone identify a badge ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone identify a badge ?

This may be a badge for a trade of some kind. It is on the top of a snuff box from 1793. Any idea's ?

what badge.jpg

Simon
    Simon

"You've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky ? " (Dirty Harry) - Be lucky; the facts are out there somewhere

http://www.thebirdtree.co.uk

simon

can you upload it to site via Photobucket at all the image is very small is difficult to see it.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Senior moment there Julie?? Very clear if you click on the image.lol:D
      Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

If you hover over the image, a larger image magically appears. Is that ok, Julie ?
        Simon

"You've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky ? " (Dirty Harry) - Be lucky; the facts are out there somewhere

Comment

Simon, you give a date of 1793 - is that inscribed on the badge?
          You say it might be related to a trade - can you expand on this - have you one in mind or what makes you think it is "trade" related.
          Do you know who the snuff box belonged to - what was his trade?
          Elaine

Comment

.. and I agree with Julie - would like to see a much larger image!
            Elaine

Comment

The snuff box belonged to James Hill. He was born in Scotland about 1775, married in Midlothian in 1803 and his first son was born in North Shields in 1804. They and their descendants continued living south of the border and by the time of the 1841 and 1851 census, he was described as a silk weaver.

However, on the silver ring round the top of the snuff box (see below) it has engraved on it "James Hill Baker N.Shields 1793". This could have been a 21st birthday present or, as I had thought, some award for completing an apprenticeship. The answer probably lies in the badge.

I will post a larger photo of the badge.
              Attached Files
              Simon

Comment

Hopefully this brings up a larger photo :

Simon
                Simon

Comment

I would probably think that it IS trade related Simon,

the top most bit in between the two circles [that looks like a tower] is actually a WINDMILL!!!

I could click on the image before, when you attached it to the site, but as the image allowed is only very small [in kb] to save strain on our server it is always much better to post any image via a hosting site such as Photobucket or Imageshack.
                  Julie

Comment

If you are windows 7 there is a facility located on the bottom left of your screen which lets you

expand the pic to 400 percent plus. Worked beautifully, and no, I don't know what the badge is.

David
                    Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

The windmill between the ears of corn certainly suggest it might be baking related. A crown as well ? Wonder whether there were any guilds which were bakery related ?
                      Simon

Comment

there is a guild of baking.. but their website isn't exactly helpful...
                        Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                          The snuff box belonged to James Hill. He was born in Scotland about 1775 ...

However, on the silver ring round the top of the snuff box (see below) it has engraved on it "James Hill Baker N.Shields 1793". This could have been a 21st birthday present or, as I had thought, some award for completing an apprenticeship.
                          If it belongs to James Hill born c1775 then he would have been about 18 years of age when he received it - so maybe connected to completing an apprenticeship.
                          However, are you sure it was awarded to him ... was his father James Hill as well?
                          Elaine

Comment

Thanks Julie. I have sent an email to the Honorary Archivist at The Worshipful Company of Bakers to see if they know.

Did you read on their website about the Bakers Court in the City of London : "Apart from minor infringements, the penalties for more serious offences were on the first occasion for the offender to be dragged on a hurdle through the dirtiest streets of the City with the faulty loaf hanging from his neck. For the second offence he was pilloried for an hour, and if he broke the law a third time, his oven was pulled down and he had to forswear baking for evermore." Those were the days !
                            Simon

Comment

Nice idea, Elaine, but no. According to his marriage proclamation in 1803, his father was a David Hill.
                              Simon

Comment

I think it would have been most unusual for anyone to complete an apprenticship before they were 21 but perhaps there were exceptions to the rule.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                X