william charteris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• william charteris

Could anyone help with any information on a Rev .William Charteris b 1810 ,Wamphray ,on his time on The Channel Islands about 1854 to 1864. I believe his wife was Eliza Lewis,who he married in 1854 on Malta. I have a lot of information on his time in Turkey , but nothing on his time on Malta or the Channel Islands .Would be grateful for anything at all.
    EP

He doesn't seem to be in the 1861 England & Wales Census (even ignoring the birth date), and nor does Eliza Charteris. The pedant in me wishes to point out that the Census does include the Channel Islands!

Comment

There's a Probate (actually only Admin) record, on Ancestry, for a William CHARTERIS, who died in Turkey in 1885, and who was a missionary. His widow's name was Isabella. The name isn't quite rare enough to guess that he's yours.

The name CHARTERIS doesn't seem to crop up in Crockfords, on Ancestry, in 1868 or 1874, so that resource is possibly not going to help you.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
        His widow's name was Isabella. The name isn't quite rare enough to guess that he's yours.
        It could be the same person, as he appears to have married Isabella 1871 - 1875.

William Charteris, married in Egypt, GRO consulate Alexandria, vol 5 page 310.

Two possible brides indexed - Ann Mary Williams and Isabella Ashley

Comment

Have you got this for a reference

Name: William Charteris
          Dates: 1822-1886
          Notes: Missionary, English Presbyterian Church, British troops, Corfu, and Jews, 1845-1865.
          Minister, Presbyterian Church, Alderney, 1865-1869.
          Missionary, Salonica, 1869-1870; Smyrna, 1870-1875; Alexandria, 1875; Smyrna, 1875-1886.
          [See: Hew Scott, Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae: the succession of ministers in the Church of Scotland from the Reformation (New ed., Edinburgh, 1915- )]

So not on census for Channel Islands

found a mention

The Ladies' Committee in Aid of Foreign Missions sent the Rev William Charteris to the Jews of Corfu from 1845 until 1864

Malta Family History
          Reverend William CHARTERIS, widower, Presbyterian Minister, Corfu, married 28th October 1854, to Eliza LEWIS, spinster, the third daughter of the late William Lewis, Commissariat Department

Just wondering about the 1810 birth date
          Last edited by Elaine; 01-11-12, 19:27.
          Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
          http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Thanks to you all for the info . I too was wondering about the 1810 date . I can`t seem to find a birth for him on Scot People ,just record on LDS. He seems to have had a wife in every posting !The information I have is a possible marriage in Wamphray Dumfrieshire in 1835 ,to Janet Porteous,again on LDS .But I did find a death cert for their son,which has him listed as illegitimate on SP. I also found a possible marriage 1845, in Edinburgh to a Helen Patterson . I have a death notice for Helen , d/o Rev Henry Patterson ,Wamphray , wife of Rev William Charteris ,died on Corfu ,no dates. He went to Corfu in 1845 . Then Malta to Eliza Lewis ,can`t find a death for her . Then posted to Alexandria ,marriage to Isabella , that solved that little mystery,many thanks . I need to check out the Edinburgh marriage at the library , will do that next week ,to check who his parents were . It is a puzzle about his time on the Channel Islands ,when his other postings are well known . Thank you all so much for confirming several points . Is there any where I can get a note of the Alexandria marriage ? Just had a quick check for a birth for William with the 1822 date , but no joy.
            Much obliged to you
            Evelyn
            Last edited by julip; 01-11-12, 22:05.

Comment

Hello Evelyn, there's a family tree on Ancestry which has info on William Charteris............tree name 'Carter'.
              Last edited by Guest; 01-11-12, 22:57.

Comment

An interesting read.............. http://dspace.lancasterseminary.edu/...10/1/Scott.pdf

Comment

wiliam charteris.

Hi Susan ,
                  I have this info thanks , actually visited the cemetery last year and saw the headstone. I was just about to post a message ,when yours came in . I just remembered that James Charteris his son was b 1836 , and that info is on his death cert . If William was born 1822 he would have been 14 years old!

Thanks
                  Evelyn

Comment

Susan ,
                    Just had a quick look at the book you listed , William is mentioned on the first page ! I will look forward to reading it , it is midnight here and am off to bed . Many thanks also to Elaine , col18 and Christine , a great help as usual .
                    Evelyn

Comment

Working...
                    X