Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prison sentences

Hi
    I have just found out that my GG grandfather was convicted and sentenced to 8 months hard labour in 1878 for stealing three turkeys !! .
    Anyone know how I would find out where he served his sentence or more info regarding the court case ?
    Thanks
    Paul

if you put his name on here someone will find something

Comment

Originally posted by PaulD1960 View Post
      Hi
      I have just found out that my GG grandfather was convicted and sentenced to 8 months hard labour in 1878 for stealing three turkeys !! .
      Anyone know how I would find out where he served his sentence or more info regarding the court case ?
      Thanks
      Paul
      Newspaper reports are great for this - it is amazing the detail they go in to.
      Many local libraries have newspapers on film, you may just be successful.
      Last edited by herky; 27-10-12, 21:31.
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Thanks for the replies,my GG grandfathers name was Robert Wilson.I found out about the conviction through British Newspaper Archives,they have two reports on his trial.This enabled me to find his conviction on ancestry.It looks as if TNA may be my next step as it would be good to know where he served his sentence.
        Paul

Comment

Working...
        X