2 baptisms, 2 birth dates same man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 baptisms, 2 birth dates same man

This has been a strange mindbender for me. I have samuel veazey on all census - parents thomas and mary - birth on census roughly 1791-7

Ithink this is his baptism

but then this baptism appears, stating both thomas and mary (parents) as deceased - albeit a different birthdate

i cant find any other samuel
    Lorraine

I cant see the ancestry links as I dont have a sub but here are two on Familysearch one is for many years later in 1818 but same parents names

Edna
    https://www.familysearch.org/search/...ion_id=1473014

Comment

Looks as though he could have been baptised aged 21. Perhaps he didn't know he'd been baptised as a baby and his parents weren't there to tell him any more. Is the adult baptism close to his marriage? I have an adult being baptised just a few months before her marriage and assumed it was prompted in some way by family or church.

Anne

Comment

Thanks edna they are the same as ancestry.

Thanks anne, samuel marries in 1817 so the 2nd baptism is a year after his marriage, I thought he might have been ill and done it for his impending demise but he lives until 1861

Its a real brain scrambler lol
        Lorraine

Comment

he still could have had a life threatening illness and survived.

Comment

the first link gives his date of birth as 26th May.. [presumably 1797] as there is no other year written down.

the second image which is dated as Nov 2nd 1818 for the bapt.. this one does not give a date of birth.. it does however give the date of the original baptism in the far right hand column.. [11th July 1797] it also looks like they began to write 1897, but then it has been gone over with 1797

NB I have just checked the first image again and it looks like that baptism actually took place on 13th AUG 1797
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
              the first link gives his date of birth as 26th May.. [presumably 1797] as there is no other year written down.

the second image which is dated as Nov 2nd 1818 for the bapt.. this one does not give a date of birth.. it does however give the date of the original baptism in the far right hand column.. [11th July 1797] it also looks like they began to write 1897, but then it has been gone over with 1797

NB I have just checked the first image again and it looks like that baptism actually took place on 13th AUG 1797
              Thanks you so much for checking,

I can find records of thomas's possible death in 1811 and mary in 1804, I suppose its possible that samuel did not know his date of birth so made it up for the 2nd baptism.

Do you think i should assume its the same man.
              Can anyone find possible siblings ???
              Lorraine

Comment

I would think it is the same chap, it might be that after mary died thomas remarried.. so might be worth checking that out.
                Julie

Comment

do you have a marriage for thomas & mary at all?
                  Julie

Comment

did Samuel die in 1885? in Herts.. if so do you know he left a will..
                    Julie

Comment

Thanks Julie

The marriage cert is the one i was trying to identify the witnesses on my other thread

As far as i can tell the family never ventures past london, bethnal green, hackney,dalston, tottenham but i have never found any wills.
                      Lorraine

Comment

Sorry samuel died in 1861, registered in islington
                        Lorraine

Comment

i'll have a look about the witness' and reply on the other thread.

back to the drawing board with Samuel then!..
                          Julie

Comment

Working...
                          X