• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• decipher marriage allegation

In the left margin it looks like ?????? & mr wills

any ideas what it means

Thanks all
    Lorraine

Looks like it says Davis and Mr Wills to me...

Comment

If you flick through the images you will see that some of the others have names in the left hand margin - image 247 seems to have the same names of Davis and Wills.

Not sure on the significance - wonder if they could be witnesses to the allegation?
      Elaine

Comment

I thought about witnesses but on other images, as you say elaine they appear again but the allegations are in different parishes ??

would there have been solicitors used then ? as the images i have looked at with their names seem to be widows/widowers ?
        Lorraine

Comment

Sorry, I've no idea. Hopefully someone else can suggest something!
          Elaine

Comment

Not sure about this one. Page 245 looks like Davis - to Mr Wills. A quick look at other pages has Wills on pages 223, 247 and 259 covering a period of 2 months in 1797. All different churches, a different place for the parenthesis or none at all. Could it be a clerk's name, lawyer, or someone like that? Other names randomly appear on the left-hand-side on a number of other pages.
            Phil
            historyhouse.co.uk
            Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Thanks all for your suggestions, probably something we wont discover.
              Lorraine

Comment

Could they for example, be assisting vergers or acting as witnesses to the marriages ? On some of the Dorset records I have seen references to current vergers and it may be

possible to determine who was at the time of these marriages, if there was enough interest as it were.

David
                Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Thanks grumpy

I drew a blank with the acting vergers line but the NA have an article about bondsmen ? could be that wills and davis are the men that stood as some sort of surety.

quoted from the NA article
                  Marriage licences from 1604 were issued only by the ecclesiastical authorities which had jurisdiction over the parish where the marriage was to take place. Licences enabled couples to marry without publication or calling of banns in church.
                  Canons 101 to 103 of 1604 required that licences could only be issued 'upon good caution and security taken'. Therefore anyone applying for a licence was required to enter into a bond with sureties which was usually filed with a marriage allegation. The bond was often entered by the bridegroom as one of the sureties or his bondsmen, and is in two parts:
                  a) The declaration (in Latin until 1731) by the bondsmen that there is no impediment and that it will meet the requirements of the Church of England, giving the bondsmen's names and occupations and sum in which they were bound
                  Lorraine

Comment

Working...
                  X