Baptised at 45

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baptised at 45

Why would a 45 year old get baptised? she died not long after.

Perhaps she had got religion when she was ill and decided she wanted to be baptised so she could be accepted into the church

Edna

I have Quakers who were never baptised but in order to marry in another faith they had to be baptised to that faith
    Last edited by clematised; 24-10-12, 20:29. Reason: additional info

Comment

thanks Edna

Comment

To become a full member of some churches you are required to be baptized also some churches eg the Baptists do not recognize infant baptisms.
        http://buswalks.co.uk

Comment

thanks Bob I hadn't found a earlier baptism for her so was surprised to see this one .

Comment

I have a great-great grandmother who was from a non-conformist family. She was registered the same day as all her siblings at the Independent Chapel, but was baptised into the CofE at 21 - I think so she could work at the local rectory, where she was recorded on census night. She married a non-conformist and most of her descendents stayed with non-conforming churches.
            Diane
            Sydney Australia
            Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

My grandfather was baptised when in his 40's - he wanted to be confirmed. As there was no record of an infant baptism in the parish register for his place of birth, and he had no memory of having been baptised, he was bp one week and confirmed the next. (I only know about the confirmation aspect because my Mum could remember both events and told me about them.)

I have several instances of not being able to find a bp for just one child out of a large family, despite searching the registers of surrounding villages and of other denominations.
              Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I had a great aunt who was baptised by full immersion at the age of 62. This was done in the heat of the moment at a Billy Graham revival meeting!

OC

Comment

Thanks everyone I might just have to send for her death cert as I'm now wondering if she knew she was dying ?
                  OC when Toms aunt died we had to clear her Home and there was a programme amongst her stuff for a Billy Graham Meeting.

Comment

My grandmother was baptised & confirmed at the age of 83, 5 years before she died. She made the local newspaper.
                    Glen

Comment

My Mum was also baptised C of E in her 50s so that she could be confirmed.
                      Cath.

Comment

They were so much more religious years ago weren't they? I dont think I or my siblings were ever christened.

Comment

gran only baptised my mum and her siblings because great nan had issues with them not being christened. even insisted gran be 'churched' after the births too.

Comment

If you come to faith as an older person it is quite reasonable to be baptised as a consequence. I do tend to wonder if knowing death was aproaching it was a case of "hedging her bets"
                            Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

thanks for all your replies interesting reading.

Comment

Working...
                              X